FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/16/2023 6:00 PM  #1

Brake lights pressure switch

On the drive home a short time ago I had another driver kindly let me know that my brake lights were not working šŸ˜¬

This is like the 2nd or 3rd time in 2 or 3 years. I have the pressure switch type in the brake manifold.

Anyway, is this a common issue with these? What does everyone else have?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

6/16/2023 6:04 PM  #2

Re: Brake lights pressure switch

I gave up on the factory motion switch in my 69 and installed a pressure switch. Works great.

I have the pedal motion switch on my 66. Still the original switch, even with power brakes added.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/16/2023 6:06 PM  #3

Switch on the pedal...........Think I replaced it once in 20 years. (A PAIN to get to butt....simple)
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/16/2023 6:26 PM  #4

MS wrote:

I gave up on the factory motion switch in my 69 and installed a pressure switch. Works great.

I have the pedal motion switch on my 66. Still the original switch, even with power brakes added.

I'm not keen on switching to the under dash brake pedal switch, but I seem to be going through these pressure switches.
Is there a better brand or something?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

6/16/2023 8:09 PM  #5

I bought one at OReilly.  Mounted it horizontally so no air bubbles could get trapped which might cause poor response.

6/16/2023 8:41 PM  #6

Standard Motor Products sells a good one:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/smp-sls27

and a chinese one:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/smp-sls27t

Notice that the good one is cheaper than the chinese one!
Any SMP part number that ends in T is their cheap chinese part competitor.

Ā 

6/16/2023 9:24 PM  #7

I went out and bought a new switch from a nearby parts store. It is a Fuelmiser. I thought they were a good brand, but maybe they aren't so much any more?
Here is where mine is hooked up...

6/16/2023 11:06 PM  #8

Kinda funny topic, I was visiting my buddy with a 64 Thunderbird tonight.
He recently replaced his original pressure switch.

6/16/2023 11:31 PM  #9

Nos681 wrote:

Far out... I seem to be going through the switches like every year or so at the moment.
Let's put it this way... I put my foot on the brake pedal each time I go out, to make sure I see the reflection of the brake lights on the garage door before driving off.
The part stores mostly stock the Fuelmiser brand, which I thought was US made and good, but I don't know any more.
It can't be too high a current going through the switch as I have LED tail lights and I think the Max current at the switch measured something like .3 of an amp.
An NOS brake switch was my next thought, but where do I find these?

Last edited by Toploader (6/17/2023 7:07 AM)

6/17/2023 10:39 AM  #10

I think it's the ethanol they put in the modern brake fluid.   

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

6/17/2023 11:30 AM  #11

Even though they are a pain to install I prefer the mechanical type switch.
The activation is instantaneous rather than waiting for the hydraulic pressure to build up.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

6/17/2023 11:33 AM  #12

I don't have the wiring harness handy, does the switch complete a ground side circuit or a 12v side circuit? Hopefully ground... You mentioned you have LED's and I do think that is part of your problem, don't know exactly why just yet, but I think it is

6/17/2023 2:14 PM  #13

Hand signals are still legal.....last time I checked.

Problem is...all these simple-minded, cell phone tote'n,brain damaged, my face zombies
who got their licenses through 'social-promotions' have NO CLUE why 'you're sticking your arm outta the window of that old car'.
(IF they even see ya between glances of the road while texting).
Besides......what's da big deal if ya get rear-ended?!   Ya got in-shore-uns...right?!
(-oh no I used a word I shouldn't have--uming they even have insurance ...OR even stop after they smash into ya !)
J/K of course.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

6/17/2023 7:13 PM  #14

Toploader wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

Far out... I seem to be going through the switches like every year or so at the moment.
Let's put it this way... I put my foot on the brake pedal each time I go out, to make sure I see the reflection of the brake lights on the garage door before driving off.
The part stores mostly stock the Fuelmiser brand, which I thought was US made and good, but I don't know any more.
It can't be too high a current going through the switch as I have LED tail lights and I think the Max current at the switch measured something like .3 of an amp.

Ā 
I was able to get information about the switch he purchased.

Car Quest (Advance Auto) brand
Part number:  YQPSAA1149

1964 Thunderbird, 390ci, 4 wheel power drums, jar type master cylinder

They actually had it in stock and purchased first week of June 2023.
I tried his brakes with engine off, it worked with a light amount of pressure applied.
The old switch required a lot more pressure, most likely due to the ethanol in the brake fluidā€¦I mean age.

6/17/2023 7:58 PM  #15

Greg B wrote:

I think it's the ethanol they put in the modern brake fluid.   

Ethanol? Wow, they seem to be putting that stuff in everything now.

6/17/2023 8:06 PM  #16

Raymond_B wrote:

I don't have the wiring harness handy, does the switch complete a ground side circuit or a 12v side circuit? Hopefully ground... You mentioned you have LED's and I do think that is part of your problem, don't know exactly why just yet, but I think it is

I'm guessing that the switch must complete the ground side of the circuit. I think it's what Ford did on some of the Thunderbirds and the very first run of Mustangs, before the under dash switch came along.
Before I went to LED for the taillights, I wired in a set of three bulbs each side to make the lights brighter (bad idea) and it would cook the brake switch with around 20amps or so. Before that, I had the standard taillight set up and the brake switch would last for years and years and years.
Now, I'm thinking I need to replace the switch every year or so?
This latest switch (Fuelmiser) seems to activate the brake lights with minimal pedal pressure. The last switch I was noticing that I needed to really push the brake pedal, or even start the engine to create the vacuum assistance with the booster.
I have the new switch in and all seems to be good for now, but I'm paranoid about these switches just failing randomly.

Last edited by Toploader (6/17/2023 8:07 PM)

6/17/2023 8:11 PM  #17

Nos681 wrote:

Toploader wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

Ā 
I was able to get information about the switch he purchased.

Car Quest (Advance Auto) brand
Part number:  YQPSAA1149

1964 Thunderbird, 390ci, 4 wheel power drums, jar type master cylinder

They actually had it in stock and purchased first week of June 2023.
I tried his brakes with engine off, it worked with a light amount of pressure applied.
The old switch required a lot more pressure, most likely due to the ethanol in the brake fluidā€¦I mean age.

Thanks.
With the last brake switch, I was noticing that I had to really push the brake pedal hard.

6/17/2023 8:12 PM  #18

6sally6 wrote:

Hand signals are still legal.....last time I checked.

Problem is...all these simple-minded, cell phone tote'n,brain damaged, my face zombies
who got their licenses through 'social-promotions' have NO CLUE why 'you're sticking your arm outta the window of that old car'.
(IF they even see ya between glances of the road while texting).
Besides......what's da big deal if ya get rear-ended?!   Ya got in-shore-uns...right?!
(-oh no I used a word I shouldn't have--uming they even have insurance ...OR even stop after they smash into ya !)
J/K of course.
6s6

I've been rear ended in another old car (twice actually) and it was definitely not fun.

6/17/2023 8:14 PM  #19

Rudi wrote:

Even though they are a pain to install I prefer the mechanical type switch.
The activation is instantaneous rather than waiting for the hydraulic pressure to build up.

I would really dread the thought of fitting that type of switch...

6/17/2023 8:30 PM  #20

Toploader wrote:

Raymond_B wrote:

I'm guessing that the switch must complete the ground side of the circuit. I think it's what Ford did on some of the Thunderbirds and the very first run of Mustangs, before the under dash switch came along.
Before I went to LED for the taillights, I wired in a set of three bulbs each side to make the lights brighter (bad idea) and it would cook the brake switch with around 20amps or so. Before that, I had the standard taillight set up and the brake switch would last for years and years and years.
Now, I'm thinking I need to replace the switch every year or so?
This latest switch (Fuelmiser) seems to activate the brake lights with minimal pedal pressure. The last switch I was noticing that I needed to really push the brake pedal, or even start the engine to create the vacuum assistance with the booster.
I have the new switch in and all seems to be good for now, but I'm paranoid about these switches just failing randomly.

Yeah inherently better idea low side switch. Might be worth putting a multimeter on the switch and then pushing the brakes to see the reading. Then multimeter on one side of the circuit then ground the other side and get a resistance reading. Then compare. If your meter can measure amperage it'd be a good idea to measure that.

Do you have any of the failed switches? I'd measure those too.

My personal feeling is that even those LED bulbs need low voltage, they have much different resistance than your incandescent bulbs which is leading to the switch failures. That's why measuring current is important too.

Hopefully someone who's better versed in electricity can phrase it better.
Ā 

6/17/2023 8:36 PM  #21

Thanks... I have a buddy with a volt meter and that kind of gear, so I will get him to help me check.

6/17/2023 9:52 PM  #22

The 64 Thunderbirdā€™s brake switch operates a relay (in engine compartment) for brake lights.

My friend has been using an old GM electromechanical relay with short pigtail jumpers (type ā€œFā€ connectorsā€¦male and femaleā€¦.aka slide on) due to Fordā€™s infinite wisdom to make an unusual blade arrangement for the brake relay (3 vertical on one side).  You canā€™t even use the 3 blade relay that were used for factory sequential lights.

About 8 years ago, the Scott Drake electronic flasher and sequential boxes with old school 1157 bulbs (x3 per side) were installed with same setup.  My friend tows his vintage 60ā€™s boat every summer with this car as well.  He mentioned that he upgraded the boat trailer lights to sealed LEDā€™s to get better turn indication on the trailer and visibility for idiots behind him.  No problems with car lights.

Last edited by Nos681 (6/17/2023 9:55 PM)

6/18/2023 6:53 AM  #23

Just a thought. The cars that came from the factory with a pressure switch have a different pedal pin than later cars with the mechanical switch. In order to install the pedal switch, you would need to get a later pedal or get a pb-1 pedal pin from MustangSteve and retrofit it to your existing pedal.

6/18/2023 9:00 AM  #24

Willward sells a stop/brake light pressure switch, #300-11181, available at Speedway and Jegs, maybe it is a better quality (?)

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

6/20/2023 2:54 AM  #25

BobE wrote:

Willward sells a stop/brake light pressure switch, #300-11181, available at Speedway and Jegs, maybe it is a better quality (?)

Thanks. I also saw that Hella make a switch too.
Maybe it's a matter of finding a better quality switch as you say.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.