FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/16/2013 8:43 AM  #1

tig welding

I know many on here use mig for metal work. Anybody using a tig/

From what i read with a tig the heat affected zone is much more controlled and tig is easier to grind and not as hard as mig.  This also allows you to work the area with hammer and  dolly more effectively.

I have the lincoln 140c which i have been using which is great but have always wanted to learn tig.  you see all of the fantastic looking welds these guys can make online, t.v. and magazines.

I just recently lucked in to a pretty good deal.  i picked up a miller maxstar 140 with case and accesories for $250 so i couldn't pass that up.

The other cool thing about this set up is it can be used as an arc welder and the actual welder only ways about 10lbs and has a carrying strap.

So now to start practicing.  Any tips or suggestions from anyone appreciated.

Last edited by 1fststang (11/16/2013 8:52 AM)

11/16/2013 10:01 AM  #2

Re: tig welding

That's a great buy.  Does it have foot pedal control?  From what I read it has the capability to do this but the pedal (or torch) controls may be optional.  I had a TIG that my father-in-law put together that did not have pedal control and it was hard to use on thin stuff  I have used a few other high-end tigs and it makes all the difference on thin stuff in particular.  I have been doing body work with my mig but may use a tig to finish up the finer fixes for all the reasons you listed.  Have fun with it.

11/16/2013 11:58 AM  #3

My TIG rig is like yours: an AC / DC stick box with a TIG conversion. When I bought it in 1979 only the highest end industrial machines had foot pedals, so I learned without a pedal. I weld only sheetmetal with it and it has worked well for me. I have found TIG to be more like gas welding than MIG. As with most things, practice makes better. YouTube is your friend and a good teacher. Try the Miller site too.

11/16/2013 4:19 PM  #4

Very difficult to TIG weld using a foot pedal if you are stretched out across the interior of your car welding in a floor panel patch.  Just do it without and leave the pedal for production work that is all in one sitting position.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/16/2013 4:50 PM  #5

My doesnt have the foot pedal but you can add one.

From what I read it is easier for a beginner to learn without the foot pedal so we will see.

My hooes are I can get good with it and maybe upgrade to a better one down the road that will make sheet metal work easier.  I can use it with my mig and get best of both.

you tube makes it look too easy for sure.  I have 3/32 tungsten and 1/16" filler rod so I need to get the smaller tungsten which should make working with thinner metal a little easier.

one disadvantage with tig compared to mig is the tungsten have to be sharpened and for a beginner you can sure mess them up pretty quick

11/16/2013 5:06 PM  #6

I looked at the Miller site and they also have finger control to mount on the torch.  Foot pedal is great when you are working at a welding table but as Steve mentioned, when you are reaching inside the car somewhere they aren't much good.  It's option that can be added in the future.

11/16/2013 5:10 PM  #7

To me welding is like handwriting, some people are good at it and some people will always struggle(like me).  I could practice handwriting till the end of time and I don't think I would ever get any better, just like my welding. I can weld good enough but it never looks as good as I would like it to be.  Some people can just pick it up easily.(they can probably write very well also)  So, what I'm sayin is don't be too dis-couraged if your welds don't look perfect.  I have a tig and I can barely weld at all with it.  I like my mig.

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

11/17/2013 11:37 AM  #8

I got the torch mounted control for mine instead of the foot control. When you are doing roll cage work and are standing on your head with both arms wrapped around you neck to reach a spot, the foot control does not work very well up in mid air. I did make a little attechment for the control though so I can use my foot on it when at the bench. The control just velcros to the torch handle.

11/17/2013 6:37 PM  #9

SUPER!....Great piece of equipment. I TIG welded pipe for several years on nuclear submarines(woo-hoo!)
First...MIG doesNOT put as much heat in the metal. TIG can be adjusted to make a tiny puddle for attaching thin pieces of metal whereas a MIG has to have more heat to maintain a bigger puddle,butt you move faster than tigging.. BUTT the TIG is better cause it can have a tee-ninee puddle.
3/32 tungsten works GREAT with 1/16 wire. Grind a point like a pencil for steel/stainless.. A rounded point is best for Aluminum. You NEED a footpedal for Alum.......everything else....no so much.
TIG work needs to be really CLEAN. Paint/rust/oil/anything seems to just "jump" onto your Tungsten and makes a messy weld.
If you can gas weld...you can TIG. Use 100% Argon for gas shield. Reverse polarity(I think) for TIGGING.
The best part about TIG welding in my oppinion is.........if you make a lumpy-bumpy weld......you can just "flow" back over the bead after it cools a little. That's how you get that "row-of-dimes" look! No need to EVER grind a TIG joint(unless you want a smooth surface like for painting.You can even "flow" back over a weld made with your MIG or stick for the same look.
Be careful though.......since you move slower....you put more heat in the metal. That will make thin-stuff want to bow and warp. When you set the machine up make sure the DELAY(when the arc stops and the gas still comes out) is set for a few seconds. What that does is prevent the weld bead from cooling too quickly(when exposed to atmosphere air) and sucking a little hole in the end of your bead. "Welders" call that....."sucking-a butt-hole-in-your-bead" Just a little welder slang!!
As you can tell........I LOVE TIG welding!!
6sally6

Last edited by 6sally6 (11/17/2013 6:38 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.