FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/16/2013 6:07 AM  #1

Brake pedal for 1966 mustang

I am swapping the original manual transmission in a recently acquired 66 mustang for c4 automatic so wife can drive.  Ca I simply unbolt the clutch pedal from the existing assembly?  Also, can I swap the existing brake pedal for an automatic transmission brake pedal to get the larger pad?  If so, what brake pedal should I get ---- having trouble finding one specifically for a 66.  Will the pedal from a 67 auto tranny work?

Thanks.

11/16/2013 7:39 AM  #2

Re: Brake pedal for 1966 mustang

What brake system are you running?  I am swapping everything over to cable and power brakes and have my original 66 unmolested automatic brake pedal.  If you are staying stock, I can make you a deal.

11/16/2013 7:51 AM  #3

Thanks for responding so quickly.  I'm switching to disc brakes up front, but otherwise keeping everything else original manual brakes. I imagine your pedal would would work fine.

Steve

11/16/2013 8:01 AM  #4

Let me dig it out to make sure I have all the parts.  I'll send you a PM.  You may want to consider a master cylinder swap for safety whether staying manual or going power.  If you do the MS power brake mod at some point, the stock pedal pin location can be modified at that time.  Considering brake effort and the intended driver, you may want to go power sooner than later.

11/16/2013 9:37 AM  #5

PM sent

11/16/2013 9:53 AM  #6

Apparently I have not made enough posts to respond to your PM (you need 3 posts first).  I can get Pm's, just can't send yet.  

That sounds fair.  The zip is 29609.  I'll take to heart your advise re at least upgrading the MC, and switching to power brakes, although I'm beating the hell out of my budget right now.  Just curious, do you have any idea how much I would be looking at to switch to power brakes (keeping the drum brakes in back) with labor?  

11/16/2013 10:12 AM  #7

Check the MustangSteve site http://www.mustangsteve.com/BRAKES.html   for some good options for a power brake conversion.  You can certainly do this in the future.  I would at a minimum replace your master to get rid of the jelly jar and others on the site can recommend correct piston diameters to work with a disc/drum setup.  I don't have direct experience but I understand that brake pedal effort can be pretty high with a manual/disc setup.

As far as labor, unfortunately the pool of shops that can do this type of work properly is relatively small. Some guys in the Greenville area may know of some shops in your region that can be trusted to do this type of work.  If you get a fairly complete kit from MS, other than some firewall mods, brake lines and a distribution block, the install is nearly plug and play.

I'll get over to UPS later today and get a shipping estimate for you.

11/16/2013 10:17 AM  #8

GPatrick wrote:

.......I'll get over to UPS later today and get a shipping estimate for you      .

FedEx Home delivery is worthwhile less than UPS......and if he has a work addy to give you it is even cheaper yet.

Also worthy of consideration is to check USPS, either for your box or if the assy will fit in a one rate box  Plus you can check either on line.

https://www.usps.com/

https://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/home?cc=US&language=en&locId=express

UPS is the last service I look at.

Last edited by boomyal (11/16/2013 10:22 AM)

11/16/2013 10:38 AM  #9

Thanks for the links.  USPS won this time but I frequenty use UPS since it is a two minute drive instead of 15 minutes.  Time is money...

11/16/2013 11:51 AM  #10

Steve - check your PM again.  Post a few more replies to this thread and you'll reach your minimum post count.

11/17/2013 10:42 AM  #11

Gary, thanks for all of the advice.  I've ordered the bushings, spring washer, and retainer just in case the these parts from the original assembly need replacing. 

I intend to go with the power conversion kit with a booster and dual chamber master cylinder, as you (and others) have suggested.     

Question: Will a dual chamber master cylinder be compatible with a disc/drum setup?  I seem to remember reading somewhere that disc and drum master cylinders are not interchangeable.  With a disc/drum setup, can I only use a single chamber master cylinder??

Steve  

11/17/2013 1:36 PM  #12

There are a number of disc/drum master cylinders available - I think I ended up with a 1970 Mustang power disc/drum master cylinder.  But some are actually universal for disc/disc or disc/drum depending on if they have eliminated the residual pressure valves in the ports of the MC.  If the MC doesn't have it, a RPV can be added to the rear brake circuit easily.  Check with your selected vendor for the power swap on suggested components for your swap.  Not all power conversions are created equal and I'm partial to the MustangSteve approach with the relocated brake pedal pin for correct pedal action.  From the link I posted yesterday - 

Part #  PB - 6.1 (Iron) or PB - 6.2 (Aluminum) 6
65-73  MASTER CYLINDER  
Iron Disc/Drum or Disc.Disc 1.0" bore  $75.00  (Similar to 70 Mustang original)     
Aluminum Disc/Disc 1.0" bore   $120 (2000 Mustang V6)
Use your existing master cylinder or upgrade to a DUAL PISTON, Brand New one (add $10.50 for shipping)  Shipping is only $5 extra if ordered with other parts.

11/17/2013 1:52 PM  #13

Disc / drum systems use a disc/drum master cylinder such as the one Gary pointed out.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/17/2013 4:41 PM  #14

OK.  I'm starting to understand.  I can still cancel the other order.  

If I order the the PB-6.1 Master Cylinder and the Booster-65 from MS, will the system work even if I do not (at least for now) have the pedal modified with the new pin?  Of course for a couple of extra bucks, I could also order the PB-2 parts/plan kit and have the instller here make the modifications.  

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.    

11/17/2013 6:03 PM  #15

Steve wrote:

OK.  I'm starting to understand.  I can still cancel the other order.  

If I order the the PB-6.1 Master Cylinder and the Booster-65 from MS, will the system work even if I do not (at least for now) have the pedal modified with the new pin?  Of course for a couple of extra bucks, I could also order the PB-2 parts/plan kit and have the instller here make the modifications.  

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.    

You must install the entire kit for the booster to work.  This power brake conversion is a POWER BRAKE SYSTEM where the others that you see from the companies selling the generic stuff are just bolt ons that do not revise the pedal ratio.

I refuse to sacrifice functionality for ease of installation.  With my parts, you might complain the day you install them because it was a bit of work, but you will enjoy the superior performance from now on.  With a lot of the aftermarket stuff designed to “bolt on”, you will enjoy one day of easy installation but then complain about the lack of performance from now on.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/17/2013 8:33 PM  #16

OK.  I intend to order the following kit items: 

PB-2: (I'll have the pin modification done here to the pedal I am purchasing from Gary, as well as adding the bracket to the pedal support assembly)

PB-6.1: master cylinder for disc/drum brakes

Booster-65: booster   

Do I need anything else?  PV-70 proportioning valve?

Thanks. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.