FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/14/2013 9:08 PM  #1

Wheel Size, Ride Heigth and decisions being made.

So I am finally approaching wheel and tire purchase time. My concern is with a brand new Fatman front end I wasn't really finding data on what rims work. My 15 inch rims are not going to work because the front calipers obstruct. So a buddy brought his 2001ish Mustang over to rotate his tires and allowed me the opportunity to put his 17 inch stock rims on my car to see how things look and take some specific measurements with the dish depth between his wheels and my original wheels. Evrything worked great. His 17s dish depth was 5 3/4 and my 15s are 4 1/4. From what I am seeing his wheels were too far inset into the fender, so I will probably stick with the 4 1/4 Dish depth. I really like the 17s but I need a MUCH better look. This was a test fit and the sun was in perfect position for some good pictures.

No engine and no interior so the car is riding higher than normal.

11/14/2013 9:32 PM  #2

Re: Wheel Size, Ride Heigth and decisions being made.

I'm surprised they went on.  I took one off my 01 and they hit the ball joints before they went all the way on
Car looks good !!

11/14/2013 9:47 PM  #3

Mochaman,
You will have to measure to get the answer. It all depends on how low (or high) the stance is. If very low, say in the rear, you will have to first find total distance from the quarter panel lip to the first place inboard that the mounted tire would hit. That would be the front portion of the inner wheel house. That will roughly be the distance to the leaf spring, on cars with leaf springs, because you will have to hammer that area for clearance.
Measure from the front surface of the disc (or drum) hub back to the leaf, or calculate where the leaf would be, with coilovers. Then measure from the hub outward, with a plumb bob hanging from the inside of the lip. The total will be 10"-10.5" on '65-'66 Mustangs and Falcons.
Draw it out on paper, and figure the backspacing and wheel width required to be centered within that space. Then add the OAW of the tire you want to use, allowing for clearance to the inside and outside. There's a great tool for simulating all that at the "Tools" option "Size comparer" at rimsntires.com. It will show tread width, OAW and diameter of any size tire. Choose the rim diameter, width and backspacing. Keep in mind that an 8" wheel is actually 9" wide at the outside, lip to lip.
The sidewall width is more important than tread width because that's what has to "fit" in the wheel well.
235/45s are 9.3" wide, 245/45s are 9.6". Some have fit 245s on the rear, but there is variation on these cars, from the factory.
If you go very low in the rear, the "eyebrow" arch above the lip is the point of contact when the suspension is compressed.
Obviously, the dimentions are less critical for a stock height suspension.
Measure out the front in the same way, and account also for tire clearance at full turn.
You may have to roll the lips to get the look you want.

11/14/2013 10:13 PM  #4

Same size 17x8 wheels.  I have Versailles rear which is wider.  Rears do not rub.  Don't forget that when cornering, the rear axle leans to the side which will make the tires rub inside the fender.  You have to leave more room than you would think.  Fronts are same wheel, just narrowed to 7" wide (so now have backspacing 4.72")

I measured rear ride height the other day and it is 13.5". Front is less, but I may lift it up about 3/4" from where it is now.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/14/2013 10:40 PM  #5

Thanks Steve and Whlnut.
I too have the Versailles rear end. I have original disc brakes but plan on upgrading after a while. Push now is to get car on road for next year.

The 01 tires rubbed on the inside wheel tub which led me to really look at the dish depth. Plus they looked wierd sitting so far inside the fender lip. I am thinking about doing the 8" in back and 7" up front. The Fatman front end had lost of room on the inside of tire.

My original wheels and tires that came with car. 215/ 60R15

11/14/2013 10:43 PM  #6

17s rims sit far inside of fender.

11/14/2013 11:41 PM  #7

I think you should install the engine, and at least the equivalent weight of the other stuff before you decide on wheel/tire sizes. You will have to determine final ride height, then measure for the right clearance. I spent a LOT of time on my choices before ordering exactly what I needed.

11/15/2013 7:09 AM  #8

Mochaman,
Looks great. What brand and part#  is that Accopoco Blue paint? Looks perfect for my sons "67.

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

11/16/2013 12:19 PM  #9

MustangSteve wrote:

Same size 17x8 wheels.  I have Versailles rear which is wider.  Rears do not rub.  Don't forget that when cornering, the rear axle leans to the side which will make the tires rub inside the fender.  You have to leave more room than you would think.  Fronts are same wheel, just narrowed to 7" wide (so now have backspacing 4.72")

I measured rear ride height the other day and it is 13.5". Front is less, but I may lift it up about 3/4" from where it is now.

Where is the 13.5" measured from?  what is the wheel backspace?  Are the front or rear fender lips rolled?  What tire size?  Are your front a-arms relocated down?  What front springs are you running?
Thanks.

11/16/2013 4:13 PM  #10

Nasty65 wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

Where is the 13.5" measured from?  what is the wheel backspace?  Are the front or rear fender lips rolled?  What tire size?  Are your front a-arms relocated down?  What front springs are you running?
Thanks.

Center of wheel to wheel arch.
Rear 5.72" with 1/4" spacer, front 4.72" no spacer
245x45/17 and 235x45/17
Yes
Progressive motorsports with 1 full coil removed (wishing I had just cut 1/2, but was running out of time)  If I can find some more of same srping, will reinstall with 1/2 coil cut.  If not, will use race spring spacer. Remember, I have 100% aluminum engine so iron block cars will vary.  I used to have iron block, alum head 351W with springs at full length.  I had 1/2" between tire and fenderlip vertically.
You're welcome

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/16/2013 4:16 PM  #11

Thanks again.

11/16/2013 6:15 PM  #12

@Bulletbirdman, it is a paint color I chose to get as close to the acupulco blue as I could. Wife and I chose this out of many shades without consulting each other. Since we both chose it as number 1 choice we went with it. I can ask my paint guy what the color is.

11/18/2013 7:17 AM  #13

cool beans paint code and manufacturer would be great.

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.