FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/30/2023 10:07 AM  #1

Granada Brakes

My son had installed Granada Brakes on his 68 Mustang.  They went together hard and the rotors turn hard. When I had them on my 69 mustang I don’t remember them being so difficult.  He did buy new pads and calipers.  Do you think the calipers are wrong?  Thanks for the help. 

6/30/2023 3:43 PM  #2

Re: Granada Brakes

I see 2 things in the picture.

The outer pad ears don’t appear to be on all of the way …from memory.
The spring (metal strip) appears to be missing.

The spring goes at the bottom, not the top.

I’ll add a picture when I get home.

6/30/2023 3:52 PM  #3

I can see the caliper piston, that caliper is not seated all the way

6/30/2023 5:03 PM  #4

Unfortunately I can’t find the tension spring, retainer and bolt after moving.

All 3 components mount at bottom of caliper.
The Granada rotors are about 7/8” thick.

Ford had several calipers that were similar in design.
You can see how far the tabs slip over the caliper ears.
Just make sure to have a snug fit and fully bottomed out against the outside piece.
Otherwise the noise will drive ya crazy.
Look what happened to me.

6/30/2023 8:40 PM  #5

I suggest you read the Granada brake installation article I wrote over twenty years ago.  It was always part of the MustangSteve site. Hope it did not get deleted.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/01/2023 8:45 AM  #6

You can get to MS write up at the top of the FYI page…it’s available again.

“MustangSteve’s Disc Brake Swap Page”

I couldn’t find a link on the Mustang Steve Home page.

Last edited by Nos681 (7/01/2023 8:47 AM)

7/01/2023 3:50 PM  #7

Looks like there is not a good picture of that spring clip installation.  You hold the spring cupped around the slide and drive them both in at the same time with a hammer until the opening aligns with the threaded bolt hole.

7/01/2023 10:20 PM  #8

Steve69 wrote:

My son had installed Granada Brakes on his 68 Mustang.

Steve,  it's the middle of 2023, there are a bunch of quality four piston calipers from Mustangs made this century. Those single piston calipers were invented to same the manufacturer money. Ask yer pal Lt Dan his he likes his brakes. If I were to use brakes from the 60s, they would be the for piston KH for the Mustang or T-Bird.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

7/02/2023 6:10 AM  #9

Thanks for the info guys and pics!    I’ll check out the MS link too!

7/02/2023 8:05 AM  #10

Bearing Bob wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

Steve,  it's the middle of 2023, there are a bunch of quality four piston calipers from Mustangs made this century. Those single piston calipers were invented to same the manufacturer money. Ask yer pal Lt Dan his he likes his brakes. If I were to use brakes from the 60s, they would be the for piston KH for the Mustang or T-Bird.

With the Mustang Steve power brake booster setup and a 2001 v6 Mustang master cylinder, the Granada brakes worked great.  I had the Granada brake distribution block as well with stock rear drums.

The taxi/police semi metallic pads are what I used.

Hey, it was early 90’s when I did it and it was affordable compared to the K/H conversions at the time.
Those were like gold prices in the 90’s…too rich for me.

The K/H and late model brakes would be my choices today.
I would have chosen the 03-04 Cobra brakes, but prices for well abused calipers made me look at newer Mustang offerings.

To get this project back on the road and to avoid scope creep, I would use them.
That’s how I roll…obviously.

Last edited by Nos681 (7/02/2023 8:12 AM)

7/05/2023 1:47 PM  #11

Nos681 wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

Steve, it's the middle of 2023, there are a bunch of quality four piston calipers from Mustangs made this century. Those single piston calipers were invented to same the manufacturer money. Ask yer pal Lt Dan his he likes his brakes. If I were to use brakes from the 60s, they would be the for piston KH for the Mustang or T-Bird.

With the Mustang Steve power brake booster setup and a 2001 v6 Mustang master cylinder, the Granada brakes worked great. I had the Granada brake distribution block as well with stock rear drums.

The taxi/police semi metallic pads are what I used.

Hey, it was early 90’s when I did it and it was affordable compared to the K/H conversions at the time.
Those were like gold prices in the 90’s…too rich for me.

The K/H and late model brakes would be my choices today.
I would have chosen the 03-04 Cobra brakes, but prices for well abused calipers made me look at newer Mustang offerings.

To get this project back on the road and to avoid scope creep, I would use them.
That’s how I roll…obviously.

I used the same on my 69 for many years and it worked great!   

7/05/2023 6:44 PM  #12

Granada brakes are great for 67-73 Mustangs. The single piston calipers are actually less problematic for long term daily use than the later multi-piston calipers.

7/06/2023 5:30 PM  #13

I installed the Granada disk on my 67. Followed the instructions on the Mustang Steve Site.  No problems in the 6 years since.  I did aquire all the parts to up grade.  Just have not done it.

7/06/2023 5:32 PM  #14

I also installed them on my 63 Comet.  Work great on it also.  But do have a little bump steer on the Comet.

7/06/2023 10:53 PM  #15

MS wrote:

Granada brakes are great for 67-73 Mustangs. The single piston calipers are actually less problematic for long term daily use than the later multi-piston calipers.

Got the Granada brakes (actually a Mercury Monarch) on my 68. I've never had any issue yet.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

7/07/2023 6:12 AM  #16

I have single piston calipers on all 4 corners of my 68.
O/E front and MK ll rear, other than the pita “E” brake so far no issues .

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/07/2023 4:48 PM  #17

Steve-G wrote:

I also installed them on my 63 Comet.  Work great on it also.  But do have a little bump steer on the Comet.

YO-YO-YOOOO ! Wait a minuet !!!!

A 63 COMIC ?!!!
How come you never posted any pictures of it ?!!!
Next to a 63 Scare-lane its  one of my all-time-flavorites
 V-8 ???
T-5 ???
What da scoop be Brother ??!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.