FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/09/2023 9:38 AM  #1

Help for the audio system?

We still like to travel to car shows.  In the past we've been able to listen to audio books but my hearing is getting so bad that if I can hear it, the volume would drive my wife right out of the car.  I was wondering if there's a simple way to add some type of a dual ear phone system by tapping into the existing audio output.  The car is a 1998 Mustang.  My only experience was adding a package tray or kick panel speakers to the Mustangs back in the 60's.  The only thing that was necessary was to splice into the audio wires and add the speakers.  Job done.  I suspect with today's cars I suspect there is more to it than just cutting into the speaker wires.  Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Steve J

7/09/2023 10:13 AM  #2

Re: Help for the audio system?

Some of the modern hearing aids are fancy.  Might be a path worth looking into.  ReSound and others have the ability to stream audio from your phone straight to your ears.  Your wife can kick back and listen to whatever she wants and you can listen to the books on tape.

7/10/2023 5:26 AM  #3

Is that the original radio? If you have a blue tooth radio, you could get blue tooth ear buds.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

7/10/2023 8:19 AM  #4

Yes it is the original radio. I would like to make it possible for both my wife and I to hear an audio book at the same time

7/10/2023 12:06 PM  #5

I had great luck with Crutchfield on upgrading my 05 Dodge truck with an Apple car play stereo. Got a radio, all speakers, direct plug in connections, and detailed instructions specific to my year model truck and the radio I bought for less than $400. The sound is great. They have a Tech support number as well. They may be able to help with getting you set up with something that would do what you need.                     

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

7/11/2023 5:42 AM  #6

I agree with Bolted, contact Crutchfield. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/11/2023 12:36 PM  #7

687072mustang wrote:

We still like to travel to car shows.  In the past we've been able to listen to audio books but my hearing is getting so bad that if I can hear it, the volume would drive my wife right out of the car.  I was wondering if there's a simple way to add some type of a dual ear phone system by tapping into the existing audio output.  The car is a 1998 Mustang.  My only experience was adding a package tray or kick panel speakers to the Mustangs back in the 60's.  The only thing that was necessary was to splice into the audio wires and add the speakers.  Job done.  I suspect with today's cars I suspect there is more to it than just cutting into the speaker wires.  Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Steve J

Steve - the most simple answer would be to give Jacquie some earplugs and jack up the sound....otherwise spring for a later model radio that has Bluetooth capabilities. Crutchfield has some good options for a good price and you can get audio books on CD. I used to check them out from the library and listen to books on my commute from Mukilteo to Seatac. Get some Bluetooth wireless ear buds and you're set.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

7/11/2023 4:53 PM  #8

I have Bluetooth hearing aids courtesy of the VA. They work great with a Bluetooth speaker and an iPhone.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

7/12/2023 11:49 AM  #9

I've used a  bluetooth converter similar to this and it works well.  It just tunes in to a radio station.  Then you dont have to tear out your car system.   Bluetooth Cigarette Lighter USB Wireless FM Transmitter MP3 Radio Car Charger | eBay

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.