FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/24/2023 9:18 PM  #1

Always the way it goes

For the last twenty or so years, I have had a little cellophane bag of pedestal style rocker arm shims in my drawer of small parts.  I never used them because I always used stud type rockers. 
I am getting ready to put together an engine where I will probably need to use them, so I got them out and laid them on the workbench.  Moved them around for a couple of weeks and then moved them again closer to where the rocker arms for that engine will be.

Today I went to get them out and GUESS WHAT?
They are nowhere to be found.  Looked in all the drawers, dug through the parts staged for two engines, cleaned off the work bench.  Nothing…

Now I have to spend $25 for another set of shims.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/24/2023 10:07 PM  #2

Re: Always the way it goes

I'm president of that club Steve.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

7/25/2023 9:57 AM  #3

Kind of the same story but not.  I was cleaning up some roller 5.0 lifters.  I was installing that last clip in the lifter and the clip went flying.  I was working on my bench.  For the life of me couldn't find the clip.  So I was looking on Ebay and other places and looks like you have to buy a whole lifter for the clip.   Some day when Im bored Ill go try looking again...LOL  

7/25/2023 10:10 AM  #4

As soon as you pay for those $25 shims the old ones will reappear. happens every time for me.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

7/25/2023 1:17 PM  #5

When I built my 5.0 engine (many moons ago) I had it all assembled and went to install the harmonic damper bolt.
BIG honk'in  inch & sump'in size. Looked in 'the box' where I kept all the pieces...zip. Same deal.....cleaned off the work bench looked everywhere...zip. Bought a used one from a local mechanic....I have moved THREE times since then. ALL my "stuff" was sorted and boxed and UN PACKED each time...zip !
How can a guy just....LOSE sump'in that big?       And NEVER see it again!!
I feel fer ya MS .......
6sally6

Last edited by 6sally6 (7/25/2023 1:17 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/25/2023 2:38 PM  #6

6sally6 wrote:

When I built my 5.0 engine (many moons ago) I had it all assembled and went to install the harmonic damper bolt.
BIG honk'in inch & sump'in size. Looked in 'the box' where I kept all the pieces...zip. Same deal.....cleaned off the work bench looked everywhere...zip. Bought a used one from a local mechanic....I have moved THREE times since then. ALL my "stuff" was sorted and boxed and UN PACKED each time...zip !
How can a guy just....LOSE sump'in that big? And NEVER see it again!!
I feel fer ya MS .......
6sally6

If you run into that again I have two in my hardware organizer.  I learned that lesson the hard way, and now save all good factory hardware.  If nothing else it tends to be better quality than parts store stuff and also looks like OEM hardware, not parts store stuff, which I greatly prefer. 

7/25/2023 3:06 PM  #7

wsinsle wrote:

As soon as you pay for those $25 shims the old ones will reappear. happens every time for me.

That seems to be what happens to me also.  Or, they'll pop up some time later when I'm looking for something else.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/25/2023 3:12 PM  #8

Sal, many years ago I was working on an Oldsmobile 88 diesel and removed the harmonic balancer bolt in the driveway.
Dropped it.  Never saw it again. Still a mystery. 

Never worked on a diesel ever again.

7/25/2023 5:14 PM  #9

Bearing Bob wrote:

I'm president of that club Steve.

C.F.O here. Wind up buying more only to find the ones I lost.

7/26/2023 6:00 AM  #10

MS wrote:

Sal, many years ago I was working on an Oldsmobile 88 diesel and removed the harmonic balancer bolt in the driveway.
Dropped it. Never saw it again. Still a mystery.

Never worked on a diesel ever again.

Please don't judge all Diesels by that experience.  Those Olds Diesels were nothing more than an Olds gas engine with a little thicker block, etc.  GM basically ruined the American Diesel car market with those. 

7/26/2023 6:16 AM  #11

All those roll-away tool boxes in my shop are not filled with tools. They are slam full of original Ford bolts.  A fifty year collection.  The amazing thing is that, with alot of them, I can ID which car it came off of back through the years. Just the other day, I came up with a complete set of intake bolts from a 1970 302 2v fastback. A vintage gold mine. 
The bolts were scattered in about four different places, but I finally dug out a matched set.

7/26/2023 6:28 AM  #12

Interesting, I collected many bolts, small parts, etc through the years, but couldn't tell you what they were from.  Years ago, I sold one aluminum front engine bracket (alternator, PS?) on eBay that I had no idea what Ford engine it came from.  A guy contacted me saying he needed it to complete his restoration and offered a hefty sum that I readily accepted and shipped it off immediately to him. 

7/26/2023 7:00 AM  #13

I bet I know the exact bracket

7/27/2023 5:57 AM  #14

MS wrote:

I bet I know the exact bracket

Well, if I had to guess, it was from an early 70's 351C, 2V engine.  I had ideas of using those heads on a Windsor block.  (Sold the heads many years later) 

7/27/2023 8:40 AM  #15

I'm a solid member of this club.  Even been awarded a few medal for losing big stuff.

7/28/2023 12:24 PM  #16

Unseen evil spirits are the only explanation.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

7/28/2023 12:46 PM  #17

Muzz 66 wrote:

Unseen evil spirits are the only explanation.

I airways blame it on the wife after she comes out and does an "inventory"....

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.