FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/04/2023 5:24 PM  #1

Front shock removal 65 Mustang.

I have My Mustang up on my Chassis jig. I went to unbokt the shock upper mounts got them all unbolted. I can seem to get a socket to fully seat to turn the inside nuts on the bottom of the shocks. The nut is really crushed into the washer. I guess I tightened those buggers a lil to tight when installing.  Any suggestions on a way to get the shocks out?

8/04/2023 5:40 PM  #2

Re: Front shock removal 65 Mustang.

Does your socket have a tapered opening?

Perhaps try an open end wrench or grind an old socket or box end wrench flat so it can grab the nut.

8/04/2023 9:07 PM  #3

I try and locate one of my tapered sockets. Im pretty sure I have one that tapered in  one of my tool boxes. I need to probably pull all my tool boxes outside on driveway go through them all and organize my tools. I got so many tool boxes I dunno many I need to down size. Lol. Except I need a tool box for work. Is it a problem when I have a like 9 tool boxes and I cant decide which one if any out of any of them to take into my new job. 🤔  sorry that was off topic a lil. My other question do to not wanting to start another thread wss this I think my front bolts on both sides drivers and passenger side the bolts are rusted in the reinforcment sleeves on the fron of my sleaf springs. I have cut the heads off the bolts thinking Ill punch them out they will not budge. I ended up getting a regular dewalt 20v recipreocating sawzal and cut the bolt further in the gap between leaf and the right side of the mount it the leafs bolt to. I cannnot fit a regualar cordless sawzal into the left side gap between the leaf and the shackle. It just bends the blade. Maybe I havent tried hard enough or had a decent blade. They we just the cheap regular dewalt 14tpi blades. Dont worry im not married to the Brand. Lol. I was thinking of maybe trying a kobalt corded Body panel Saw. They have a narrow body to them. Im sure one of those or maybe a pneumatic one would work. I have to sort out the  hose for the cross over between heads on my air compressor. I purchased a new hose for my air compressor just hoping it will last more then one use. I forgot to add a secure strap or something to the cross over hose and it rattled and the pulley got to it barely enough of a pin hole so the air compressor wont build pressure. Funny enough some how the stock stainless or atlesst the one that was on it when I bought it leaked like a siv but the unit still built pressure when I purchased the unit. Anyways any ideas on getting the leaf springs free on my 1965 Mustang coupe?

8/05/2023 8:51 AM  #4

I think you misunderstood my description.

Many sockets have a slight taper to slip onto the fastener.

Some of the impact sockets have a flat face at opening.

Make sense?

As for leaf spring, try a jig saw with a carbide blade to cut bolt or a torch to heat up the eye of spring only.

Last edited by Nos681 (8/05/2023 9:00 AM)

8/05/2023 1:43 PM  #5

Angle grinder with a cutting wheel should be MANDATORY for any work on an automobile 50 years old or more.
                             "When in doubt.......git-out the grinder !"......Henry Ford 1914
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/05/2023 2:24 PM  #6

6sally6 wrote:

Angle grinder with a cutting wheel should be MANDATORY for any work on an automobile 50 years old or more.
                             "When in doubt.......git-out the grinder !"......Henry Ford 1914
6sal6

I was thinking this ill try a bigger diameter cutting disc on the grinder a 4.5" cutting disc is to short to get into the leaf spring pocket where it bolts in place. Ill pick up a 7" grinder cuttting disc and put in on my either my 4.5" which has a buck sensor and is brushless which works nice when its plugged into a cord. It has no power drain from being plugged into a longer cord. Its a Hittachi 4.5 variable speed side switch version. It was on clearance at lowes for $15.00 killer deal wish zo wouldve bought a few of them. Now I need to buy another one for work. So I dont have to bring mine back and forth. I found the metabo brushless version of my grinder on either ebay or maybe it wss Amazon for $75.00 if anyone is interested ill post the hyperlink of the grinder.

8/05/2023 2:38 PM  #7

Nos681 wrote:

Make sense?

As for leaf spring, try a jig saw with a carbide blade to cut bolt or a torch to heat up the eye of spring only.

Dont beleive I mis understood. I do tend to get a lil off subjects due to me new medication. But Then again maybe, I miss understood you. I dont believe I did though.
I have several socket sets. I have sets that are fully straight sockets not real taper to the end. I also have sets with sockets with no taper to them as well. I have quite a few tool boxes. Haha i got a few good deals when working at lowes. They give good discounts on clearance and stuff. I got their 56" craftsman work table that has the option of a right side leg to be switched for a 4 or 5 drawer tool box. I got that table for $50.00 one of the tool boxes I got was a $100. Ill try finding a tapered socket and see if that helps me get the Nut loose. I am trying to remove the nuts on the inside closest to the shock tower.   For the leaf springs thats a great idea using a jig saw!! I will try that next. I beleive that might just get in there.  That or a bugger diameter cut off blade for the grinder like below commet. Thanks for your suggestions and help for my suspension removal.

8/05/2023 2:39 PM  #8

Put a jack under the LCA and raise it up until it is level. Then you will be ablevto get the shock bolts out easily. The rotation of the control arm will put the bolts pointing straight down where they are not jammed against the shock.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/05/2023 2:50 PM  #9

Nos681 wrote:

Make sense?

Wait read your comment again. On the very face of the socket it has a taper? Or are you talking at the body of the socket being tapered? I dont recolect having or seeing any sockets atleast rhat that I own that have a tapered face. If you meaning the very face of the socket that sits against the surface around the bolt head. Ill need to find a deep or more likely a mid length socket. 1/2" drive is to big. 3/8 drive deeps barelly fit in the pocket space we have to work with.  I  dont know if a wrench will be able to get onto the nuts on the front shock lower mounting nuts. Ill try maybe a crows foot or a box crows foot as well as above mentioned.

I do have one other option on the rear leaf spring bolts that most do not have. I have removed the rusted reinforcment panel that is spot welded to top side of the rear frame rails. I have access to the rusted fron leafspring bolt reinforcments. I could cut them out if I absolutely have to. Ill try and not resort to that thou.

8/05/2023 3:05 PM  #10

I agree with MS's approach to raising the arm to get better access to the front shock bolts.

For the front leaf spring through bolts, I used a Sawzall to cut both sides of that bolt on the inside of the spring bracket.  The Sawzall blade was thin enough to fit between the rubber spring bushing (that I replaced) and the bracket. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

8/06/2023 9:58 AM  #11

"On the very face of the socket it has a taper? Or are you talking at the body of the socket being tapered?"

Most sockets have a short internal taper to help guide the socket onto a bolt head or a nut. This portion of the socket does not grip the hex when tightening or loosening. If you are using one of these sockets on a thin nut such as a jam nut there is very little "purchase" between the socket and the nut. It is common practice to use a bench grinder to grind away the tapered end of the socket so that the socket achieves full purchase on the nut.

8/06/2023 10:03 AM  #12

Ed Zachary what eye M talkin’ bout Texas!

8/06/2023 2:27 PM  #13

Never really needed to grind down any sockets yet. Ill try that.   Ive usually had luck with just a simple 1/4" drive ratchet and a 1/2" deep socket  without and exstention slipped between the coil spring perch gap. I need to get my car mounted securely on the jig. Then ill try a jack again again under the lower control arm I thought about that as well. Thanks for the comment MS.  Ill Try tour Suggestion.

8/06/2023 2:42 PM  #14

I’ve had to take a sixteenth or so off the front of some sockets for low head bolts, especially some AN hardware.
Also had to spin down the OD of some sockets that would not go into confined holes.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/06/2023 3:09 PM  #15

Lathes make for easy socket mods.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

8/06/2023 4:40 PM  #16

Bet this fella has NO PROB changing out shocks !
6sally6

Last edited by 6sally6 (8/06/2023 4:41 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/06/2023 5:54 PM  #17

Just get the control arm level, and the nuts will magically not be hidden any more.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/07/2023 8:12 AM  #18

I'll also mention that I'd only use a 6-point socket on any rusted bolt, or nut.  A 12-point socket can tend to 'round' off the bolt/nut when a lot of force may be necessary to remove it. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.