FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/12/2023 3:16 PM  #1

What did I do wrong? (3 qts gear oil on the floor)

My rear end saga continues to unfold...

I got the correct axles from Strange and test fit everything on the bench - perfect fit. I mounted the carrier into the housing (Lubelocker gasket) and torqued all the nuts, then mounted the assembly in the car, and installed the driver's side axle and brake bracket, torquing everything - again, perfect fit.

Today, I was ready to fill it with gear oil (or so I thought) and install the other axle and brake bracket, so I jacked up the passenger side axle tube, stuffed a long hose down the tube and started pouring.

About half-way through the third quart, I noticed a massive pool of gear oil forming on the floor and saw that it was coming from the pinion shaft area on the carrier. Several coarse words and a roll of paper towels later, I have it cleaned up and am wondering what I screwed up.

I haven't installed the yoke yet, so I thought maybe that was the reason it was leaking? The only other explanation that occurs to me is that lifting the carrier by the pinion shaft/nut to place it in the housing may have compromised the pinion seal? This is a brand new complete carrier from Yukon.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by LoveToFlyGuy (8/12/2023 3:17 PM)

8/12/2023 3:56 PM  #2

Re: What did I do wrong? (3 qts gear oil on the floor)

No yoke = Exxon Valdez.

Also three quarts sounds like alot

8/12/2023 4:42 PM  #3

@Bentworker - Thanks, that's what I was hoping. Best case scenario for me. This is why I consider myself a life-long learner - another lesson learned.

8/13/2023 9:50 AM  #4

So, if you didn't install the U-bolt flange, how was the pinion bearing pre-load set?  Whether using a crush collar or a solid spacer this setting needs to be completed by installing and torquing the U-bolt flange nut. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

8/15/2023 8:08 AM  #5

Bob - The carrier was a complete assembly from Yukon with solid spacers, so no adjustment needed other than torqueing the pinion nut to spec when I put the yoke on. I didn't do that before I added the lube because I have two yokes of different lengths and wanted to see which one worked best with my driveline position before final torque. I previously did a 289/3-spd -> 5.0/T5 conversion, so there was some debate over fitment in my mind.

8/15/2023 9:45 AM  #6

I too have solid spacers on mine, and when I went to change to a different length yoke during a tranny swap found gear oil leaking onto the floor. It's fun torquing that pinion gear while on the floor under the car.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

8/15/2023 10:13 AM  #7

Maybe you missed the hole when filling?

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

8/15/2023 10:21 AM  #8

BB - That's why I wanted to get both axles in with wheels on the ground before torquing the nut.

Cab4word67 - Nope, didn't miss

8/16/2023 6:05 AM  #9

LoveToFlyGuy wrote:

Bob - The carrier was a complete assembly from Yukon with solid spacers, so no adjustment needed other than torqueing the pinion nut to spec when I put the yoke on. I didn't do that before I added the lube because I have two yokes of different lengths and wanted to see which one worked best with my driveline position before final torque. I previously did a 289/3-spd -> 5.0/T5 conversion, so there was some debate over fitment in my mind.

OK, got it.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.