FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/06/2023 5:56 AM  #26

Re: how to identify 302 28oz or 50oz balancer

If we could see the harmonic balancer it would help. On the back side of the balancer there will be a counterweight.
If the counterweight covers almost half of the circle, it is 50.  If it covers about a third of tge circle it is 28.
Go to summit racing and look at their balancers for part number ending in 289 and part number ending in 302. It should show a pic of the weights. The 289 is 28 and the 302 number is 50.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/06/2023 6:27 AM  #27

MS wrote:

I cannot see the pics like I normally can. Just URL shows up.

Mine has been that way for a year or two.  That's why I have no avitar or ever post any pix.  Gave up trying to figure it out.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/06/2023 8:19 AM  #28

6t5klassic wrote:

Not having much success with locating relevant numbers anywhere on the block. Not able to see any counterweight on the flywheel. The only numbers i can see are the ones in my picture i sent when i removed the starter motor. I have 3 bolts in the crank pulley, but don't think that is the best way to confirm a 28oz. I'm probably going to take a guess at 28oz and order the transmission kit based on that. If it turns out incorrect, then the shop will have to swap out whats needed. Thanks for the help here. Obviously this would be easier if the engine was out of the car.

If I'm remembering correctly, Ford went to the 4-bolt balancer prior to gong to the 50oz balancer.  Check the size of the weight on the balancer as MS suggests.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

9/06/2023 9:16 AM  #29

1970 was changeover to four bolts. Wondering if he has an aftermarket conversion balancer.

9/06/2023 6:09 PM  #30

Wow i really appreciate the help here! I just got out of my garage and here is a little more data to go on-
With the starter motor removed, and cranking the engine by hand at the crank pulley, I got the following numbers (stamped not cast) off the flywheel as it made its way around - E6ZR-AA. I know there are also cast numbers but they are so hard to see. My preliminary research seems to show this as 50oz, but still not 100%.

50vert - i am sorry but don't know about a conversion balancer. Some of this is beyond my mechanical ability.

MS - yes, when i spin the flywheel manually, i can see the counterweight. Is there a number of teeth that it would span? I know the 50oz weights cover longer area than 28oz weights, correct?

BobE - I have 3 bolts holding on the harmonic balancer. How do i confirm the size of the weight on the balancer?

9/06/2023 7:28 PM  #31

Some balancers have the weight on the outer ring. Some have it on the inner hub. So, unless we can see the balancer, there is not a good way to tell what you have.
The flywheel having an E6 number tells it was 86 and that was long after the 59 ounce changeover, unless it came off a 351w, where it could have been 28.
Your balancer has a three bolt pulley, so it is either a 28, or it is an aftermarket conversion balancer designed to fit 289 pulleys onto a 50 ounce type crankshaft.
So, still nothing definitive…

Need pics of the front and tear of the balancer.  Worst case, email them to me steve@mustangsteve.com

9/06/2023 7:29 PM  #32

You have 1 bolt holding on the balancer, and 3 bolts holding the crank pulley to the balancer. Remove the crank pulley, and look for another 4 bolt holes for a 4 bolt pulley.
A conversion balancer has both bolt patterns, and usually, an interchangeable weight to suit both 28 and 50 oz engines.
I'm gunna guess you have a 50oz motor, cos it's a F1SE

Last edited by 50vert (9/06/2023 7:38 PM)

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

9/06/2023 8:22 PM  #33

If you have a conversion balancer with weights on the hub, this is what each will look like.

9/07/2023 4:04 PM  #34

I did not take off the pulley, but seems that is my only way to know for sure? I was able to get a small scope through the starter motor hole to read the stamped numbers on flywheel, and seen this -
E1ZR-6380-A2A. That also does not seem to be definitive. I'll attach pics of crank pulley, but likely will not be helpful if i need to pull that off now to see the balancer behind it.

9/07/2023 4:41 PM  #35

This is a picture of his balancer that he emailed to me. It has the imbalance on the outer ring, but does have three bolts attaching the pulley. Can't tell if it was modified for three bolts because pulley is bolted in place.
My best guess is 50 ounce, but not for sure with the info provided.
Posting the pic in case somebody recognizes it.

9/07/2023 7:53 PM  #36

I think he has an aftermarket 50oz "conversion" harmonic balancer.   Cj still offers it, and I found another seller of one that had the initials pj stamped on it.   So, they are out there.   Seems to me the reason these became available back when is when people started putting later model 5.0 in their Mustangs, the pulleys still lined up.  Because the pulley doesn't have that 1/4 4 bolt nose on it.  I spent some time digging, I could not find a factory 3 bolt 50oz. 

https://www.cjponyparts.com/cj-classics-crankshaft-damper-conversion-3-bolt-with-lip-50oz-mustang-5-0l/p/CSD51/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIisG1sfKZgQMVqvGUCR18YgKaEAQYAiABEgLy1fD_BwE

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

9/07/2023 7:54 PM  #37

Curious why you want to know the imbalance. Are you buying parts for it?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

9/07/2023 8:11 PM  #38

Think Greg B nailed it.  Looks just like his.

9/08/2023 5:51 AM  #39

This is great - thank you all very much.
Appreciate the help and insight! For Bearing Bob - yes, i am looking at a T5z upgrade kit from a 4-speed and the shop is asking questions to get right parts.

9/08/2023 8:26 AM  #40

Consider using the MustangSteve cable clutch setup with your five speed. It eliminates all the z-bar parts from your four speed linkage. It is a better design cable setup than the MDL unit. There are no small clevis parts that wear out on the cable.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.