FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/06/2023 1:24 PM  #1

First post, first BASH

Hey all, thanks for your hospitality at the BASH. Even though I'm RPM/Bearing Bob's younger brother, nothing but a warm welcome. 
I'm not a car or Mustang newb, I've owned several. I was a bike mechanic in HS, went through some Mopars, switched to a Mustang II to keep out of trouble, then a turbo Capri, then an 88 5.0 5sp LX. Current crop includes a Raven Black C-code San Jose 65 Fastback project, a driver quality Acapulco Blue Metuchen SCJ 69 Mach 1 with ram air and a 4 speed. Bob found that one and inexplicably wanted me to buy it instead of grabbing it himself. Um, thanks?
I've built a stroker Windsor, a full-roller C4 and a 9 inch for the fastback, but it's a long ways away. 

BASH - hell of a good time. Bullet Bob, Ed, Dan, Steve, Glen, Day, 6Sally6, innumerable others were great to meet, chat with, feast alongside. Great conversation and tons of jokes. And thank you to Ed and Dan who allowed/trusted me to drive their cars. Really appreciate your affording me the privilege. 

3000 miles in a vintage Mustang is fairly unique. I must compliment Dan on his 65 Coupe, driving impression is that it's a very well sorted, tight, un-klunky performance car. Stealthy as can be, but super driving experience. 

I'm going to jump on the 65, get the replacement shock towers MustangSteve template modded to fit the Windsor and welded in.

Cheers!

As soon as I figure out this image thing, I'll upload photos of the SCJ and some of the other bits. 

Last edited by RCodePaul (10/09/2023 3:58 PM)

1969 SCJ Mach1 Acapulco Blue/Black - Ram Air - 4 speed - 3.91 1965 C Code Fastback 422W C4 9in

10/07/2023 6:59 AM  #2

Re: First post, first BASH

It was good to meet you too. Saw tour post and screen name then immediately thought I missed seeing another big block Mustang!! Your trip next year should be a lot shorter.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

10/07/2023 10:05 AM  #3

RCodePaul wrote:

Hey all, thanks for your hospitality at the BASH. Even though I'm RPM/Bearing Bob's younger brother, nothing but a warm welcome. 

I make all of my brothers look good. You're welcome.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

10/07/2023 10:56 AM  #4

RPM, aka Bearing Bob wrote:

RCodePaul wrote:

Are you sayin’ that you got the brains? 😜

I enjoyed our conversations and laughs.
Appreciate your compliments about my coupe.
Keep us updated on progress of your 65.

10/07/2023 3:37 PM  #5

Very good to meet and yak with you too, Paul.  Haven't met the "other brother" yet but I'm betting that between the three (?) of you there is nothing could not be accomplished.
Looking forward to seeing you again next year.

BB1

Last edited by Bullet Bob (10/09/2023 8:19 AM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

10/07/2023 3:56 PM  #6

Welcome to the Family pray all is well!

10/08/2023 6:39 PM  #7

Enjoyed meeting and hang'in out with ya Paulie.
Love to take-a-look at them-there Mustangs and such...('epecially that SCJ !)
Maybe we can swing by and see Jay Leno at his place while I'm there !!?!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/09/2023 3:16 PM  #8

Bolted to Floor wrote:

It was good to meet you too. Saw your post and screen name then immediately thought I missed seeing another big block Mustang!!

Thanks John - great conversation. When you told the FE crankshaft story, I was able to connect a face with that event. Bob had mentioned it some time ago. Ouch. I feel your pain. Had to read your whole thread on the FE forum. I thought Battlestar Galactica Galaxie was Greg Cook, but it doesn't seem so. Maybe the car purchaser has taken over that screen name. 

RPM, aka Bearing Bob wrote:

Don't think it goes unnoticed. Thanks. 

Nos681 wrote:

Are you sayin’ that you got the brains? 😜

Height. Clearly RPM got the height. Thanks Dan, tons of fun. 

Bullet Bob wrote:

Very good to meet and yak with you too, Paul.  Haven't met the "other brother" yet but I'm betting that between the three (?) of you there is nothing could not be accomplished.

Two more of 'em BB1, dos mas. Neither of them have "Paul" in their names. Bob's the tallest, I'm next, the other two are shorter and rounder. And different. Very very different.

Coupedaddy wrote:

Welcome to the Family pray all is well!

Thank you COOOOOOP! (I thought your name was Cooper and you went by Coop. Lol.) I have much respect for you. Not only the role you play in this group, but surviving 3 daughters. Oh my, couldn't imagine wrangling 3 of the one I have. Inconceivable!!!   

6sally6 wrote:

Love to take-a-look at them-there Mustangs and such...('epecially that SCJ !)
Maybe we can swing by and see Jay Leno at his place while I'm there !!?!
6sal6

Thanks Sal. Gonna break my back to make it happen. Well, except for the Jay Leno part. Don't exactly have him in my phone. 

422 Windsor, O/S ground 400 crank, 4.140" stroke, Chrysler 340 rods, KB pistons, AFR heads, CompCam, Weiand intake, not yet fired. 

Roller 5.0 home ported .500" lift cam, stock bore, OEM TRW forged pistons, Edelbrock intake. run in on run stand

Last edited by RCodePaul (10/09/2023 4:06 PM)

1969 SCJ Mach1 Acapulco Blue/Black - Ram Air - 4 speed - 3.91 1965 C Code Fastback 422W C4 9in

10/11/2023 8:17 PM  #9

RCodePaul wrote:

Bolted to Floor wrote:

It was good to meet you too. Saw your post and screen name then immediately thought I missed seeing another big block Mustang!!

Thanks John - great conversation. When you told the FE crankshaft story, I was able to connect a face with that event. Bob had mentioned it some time ago. Ouch. I feel your pain. Had to read your whole thread on the FE forum. I thought Battlestar Galactica Galaxie was Greg Cook, but it doesn't seem so. Maybe the car purchaser has taken over that screen name.  

I do have a nice art piece I salvaged to keep at the office. 

I haven't been current on the FE forum and remember Battlestar Galactica guy was Larry. Its great to see that Galaxie Station Wagon with the wheels in the air at every launch. 

Thats a nice looking 422 on the stand. Whn you going to crank it??

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (10/11/2023 8:19 PM)

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

10/12/2023 5:51 PM  #10

RCP.......
Give us a lil-mo-info on the 340 MoPar rods in the 422. Better length?? shorter piston?? (just gotta good deal on rods?)

Are you a dues-paying-member in the 'long-rod theory' argument !?
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/16/2023 6:35 PM  #11

6sally6 wrote:

RCP.......
Give us a lil-mo-info on the 340 MoPar rods in the 422. Better length?? shorter piston?? (just gotta good deal on rods?)

Are you a dues-paying-member in the 'long-rod theory' argument !?
6sal6

Sal, in the words of the great Karl Childers, "I don't rightly know." 
If I had to guess, and that's all it is due to all the years and projects since I built that - I'd say it was because I had seen a 377 stroker Windsor recipe using the Mopar rods and it got me thinking, "Why not go one better and use those rods in a 408+ Windsor?" So I bought a 400 crank and a set of 340 rods and mic'd them and did some arithmetic (I am an arithmetician) and it looked like there was enough of a disparity in the big end of the Mopar rods and the 400 journals to offset grind it for a skosh more stroke and reach a number that put the very short compression height KB stroker piston at zero deck. 
The thinking came from a do it yourself mindset and knowing that AMS in Fresno is willing to do anything. These are the guys I spoke of - they hold 7 land speed records, yet they are totally approachable, easy to work with. I gave him the numbers, he offset ground the crank, narrowed the Mopar rods just a bit and viola. Stock parts stroker, save for the pistons. 
I think...

10/17/2023 3:39 PM  #12

10/17/2023 4:13 PM  #13

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.