FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/17/2023 1:19 PM  #1

Vacuum diagram

I’m having a heck of a time finding a vac diagram for my 66 289 stick no power breaks . With a Holley 600

I can’t get this car to run right and I’m not sure the vacuum is correct. Basically all the vacuum I have it carb to distributor then back of carb to pvc valve in the valve cover

Also this is my first post thanks for having me.

Last edited by Jameson66 (10/17/2023 2:19 PM)

10/17/2023 3:30 PM  #2

Re: Vacuum diagram

Welcome to the best board on the web PERIOD!
Try this.....Plug ALL the vacuum ports from the manifold and carb.(distrib.....PCV....vac advance...whatever)
Fire it up and spray carb cleaner (or Brakleen I love that stuff!) around the base of the carb and along the intake manifold gasket to check for vacuum leaks. Engine will speed up if a vac leak sucks in some of the fluid.

Next...if NO leaks  using a timing light  set timing to about 12-14 BTDC.

Then adjust/tune carb.
Re-attach vac hoses making sure they are in good shape(no cracks)
Report back with your results
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/17/2023 3:32 PM  #3

That should be all you need. check for vacuum leaks around the intake and carb mounting pad.
And welcome to the best place around!

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

10/18/2023 5:15 AM  #4

The only vacuum you should have is the PCV and the advance can.  Definitely check for leaks first.

Beyond that, what do you mean by "run right"?  There's A LOT that can cause that, but specific symptoms may help us pin down what's going on.

Welcome!

10/18/2023 12:36 PM  #5

I’ll try this for vac leaks.

It starts right up when choked when the choke upends up it settles out but very rough idle . If you rev it up it stays revved up and slowly settles out. I showed a friend of mine the video of the carb it looks like a water faucet dumping fuel onto the butterfly’s .

I’m gonna but a timing gun and a vac gauge today or tomorrow.

Last edited by Jameson66 (10/18/2023 12:37 PM)

10/18/2023 12:43 PM  #6

Oh also I was turning the air screws to try and tune the carb but when I screw them out to listen to the idle drop or even in nothing happens. Someone told me the air screws could be causing the vac leak …???

Is this true ? I just got this car so I’m working all the 1/2 assed bugs out of it

Last edited by Jameson66 (10/18/2023 12:43 PM)

10/18/2023 12:49 PM  #7

What carb is on it?  Did it sit for any length of time?  If its not responding to the idle screws something is off.  My guess would be something is stuck in something and allowing fuel in when it shouldn't (bypassing the idle screws).  I would pull the carb and clean it out.  You shouldn't need to replace anything, but especially now that ethanol is in our fuel you can get contamination even in just a month or two of sitting.  It doesn't take much to stick a needle and seat open.  Blow out all the passages.  2+2 if you can get it is still the best carb cleaner IMO.

Reinstall it with new gaskets for the base and under the spacer if equipped.

Once the carb is good I'd move to timing, and you should start with making sure that TDC on the balancer is actually TDC. 

10/18/2023 12:59 PM  #8

TKOPerformance wrote:

What carb is on it?  Did it sit for any length of time?  If its not responding to the idle screws something is off.  My guess would be something is stuck in something and allowing fuel in when it shouldn't (bypassing the idle screws).  I would pull the carb and clean it out.  You shouldn't need to replace anything, but especially now that ethanol is in our fuel you can get contamination even in just a month or two of sitting.  It doesn't take much to stick a needle and seat open.  Blow out all the passages.  2+2 if you can get it is still the best carb cleaner IMO.

Reinstall it with new gaskets for the base and under the spacer if equipped.

Once the carb is good I'd move to timing, and you should start with making sure that TDC on the balancer is actually TDC. 

Holly 600 FR 80457-13 2018 4 barrel
Vac secondary

I have replaced the whole fuel system with the help of mustang Steve .
Oh also the check valve was stuck causing the squrters not to work for the accelerator pump I just fixed this

10/18/2023 7:13 PM  #9

Typically the Holley 600 has a vacuum port on the passenger side of the front metering block that connects to the distributor advance.
Then a port on the rear passenger side of carb base, rear center of carb base, or a port on rear of intake manifold goes to the pcv valve in the passenger side valve cover.
All other ports on the car would be capped on your engine.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/19/2023 6:49 AM  #10

Are the fuel levels in the bowls set correctly?
You indicated that the "check valve was stuck... ".  Was this a used carb that was sitting for some time?  If so, the needle and seat may have dried out and need to be replaced.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

10/19/2023 7:39 AM  #11

What are the symptoms of the engine “not running right”?
There is more to tuning a 600 Holley than idle mixture and float level. Let us know the exact symptoms and we can probably help you get it working right.

10/19/2023 2:02 PM  #12

What stood out at me is he indicated it did not seem to respond to idle screw adjustment. 

10/20/2023 12:43 PM  #13

Welp I got it timed it was way out . Not much of a change tho.

So I pulled a plug it crumbled upon removal so time for new plugs and wires and try again 😂😂

10/21/2023 5:36 AM  #14

Did you verify that TDC on the balancer was actually TDC?  Without doing that any timing work is meaningless.  Ford used 3-4 different timing locations over the years.  With an engine of unknown history you don't know what a previous owner or mechanic may have done.  The wrong balancer with the wrong pointer can lead to your TDC mark being 40-60 degrees off.  You would think it would run terribly timed that far off, but on a typical low compression engine you'd be surprised how well it will run like that.  If the plugs are coming out anyway its not hard to use a piston stop to verify TDC. 

10/21/2023 10:23 AM  #15

Start with new needles/seats in the carb along with a new power valve and accelerator pump diaphragm and check valve. New bowl gaskets and jet plate/block gaskets.
That should take care of all the stuff that typically causes trouble.

10/23/2023 2:30 PM  #16

TKOPerformance wrote:

Did you verify that TDC on the balancer was actually TDC?  Without doing that any timing work is meaningless.  Ford used 3-4 different timing locations over the years.  With an engine of unknown history you don't know what a previous owner or mechanic may have done.  The wrong balancer with the wrong pointer can lead to your TDC mark being 40-60 degrees off.  You would think it would run terribly timed that far off, but on a typical low compression engine you'd be surprised how well it will run like that.  If the plugs are coming out anyway its not hard to use a piston stop to verify TDC. 

I didn’t and I don’t know why… I’ll do it next . I can hardly see the 0 mark on the balancer but if I’m TDC where should 0 mark be?

10/23/2023 2:39 PM  #17

TDC equals top dead center which is Zero

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.