FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/20/2023 7:46 AM  #1

Classic Car Loan Interest Rates

Just did a pre-approval for a loan to buy another classic.  (90s Truck) and the rate they gave me was 10%.  I have an 820 credit score with very little debt and pretty good household income.  I'd bought my 66 mustang through them too 12 years ago and the rate was around 6% which was high for the time.  I know you will pay a premium for any used car and especially a classic but if a guy like me is getting 10% that means that average buyer is probably in the 12%.

IMO, the prices on classics in the non collector quality will be coming down.   Non cash buyers are going to get squeezed.

10/20/2023 8:37 AM  #2

Re: Classic Car Loan Interest Rates

I've never had a loan for a classic car, and my last car loan was circa 1996, so I don't know much about them or what the rates are these days. Have you looked into a personal loan at your credit union?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

10/20/2023 9:53 AM  #3

RPM, aka Bearing Bob wrote:

I've never had a loan for a classic car, and my last car loan was circa 1996, so I don't know much about them or what the rates are these days. Have you looked into a personal loan at your credit union?

Classic cars, like buying a boat or RV are considered luxury buys.  Not a lot of lender options just like insurance options are limited.  Unless you have a personal relationship with a bank, traditional banks don't give out loans on classics.

I'm trying to find a truck in the $30-40k range so this isn't a "save up" kind of purchase for me.

10/20/2023 10:59 AM  #4

Better grab that 10% while you can.This time next year "CornPop" will have it up to 12 or 16% interest rate. Like the good ole Carter days!!!!!

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

10/20/2023 10:59 AM  #5

RPM, aka Bearing Bob wrote:

My last car loan was in 2011.  If I cant buy it with cash Im not buying it.  Dave Ramsey has worn off on me a bit...LOL   

10/20/2023 11:34 AM  #6

Well only dumb people (like me) or people with piles of cash are doing anything other than letting their cash grow with these interest rates.  You can't buy a decent car for less than $10k cash now and not a lot of people have that kind of expendable cash.  I'm hoping prices will come down to offset interest rates.

10/20/2023 2:11 PM  #7

TremendousWand wrote:

I'm hoping prices will come down to offset interest rates.

"Hope in one hand ............"  I think classic cars and trucks will only increase in value for the foreseeable future because unlike new cars/trucks  the classics.... ex..Mustangs/Hemis/FE stuff/ Cobras/Chevelles 
are impulse buys."
Like cookies and candy vs meat and potatoes.
Dave Ramsey is right-on with his advice.....just like Grandma usta say...only with their teeth in !
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

10/20/2023 5:07 PM  #8

Steve69 wrote:

My last car loan was in 2011.  If I cant buy it with cash Im not buying it.  Dave Ramsey has worn off on me a bit...LOL   

I'm with you and Dave Ramsey... Cash is king and I guess for me, I would take time to save up, or just do without it. I reckon borrowing money like this is not a great idea 🙂

Last edited by Toploader (10/21/2023 8:01 AM)

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

10/20/2023 8:06 PM  #9

On a $35K loan for 5 years your going to pay close to $10,000 in interest. Don't know if car prices will go up that much in 5 years. If you want something like that now have you considered other options? A home equity loan is usually tax deductible. Do you have a 401K, you can usually borrow from them and the interest you pay goes back in your account. Just a couple things to consider.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

10/20/2023 11:44 PM  #10

A classic will certainly go up in value compared to new car losing value ....with the exception of the outrageous prices used trucks were bringing.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

10/21/2023 5:48 AM  #11

You'd have trouble getting a primary mortgage rate for 7.5% right now.  Car loans were always higher than mortgage rates.  You might have better luck taking out a HELOC to buy the vehicle.  Probably looking at 7-8% on that, but at least its not 10%.  Rates are higher than they've been in a long time right now because the FED keeps monkeying with the prime rate to try and lower inflation.  Most predictions are they will be up for at least the rest of this year, some think through 2024 and possibly beyond. 

10/23/2023 2:58 PM  #12

Toploader wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

I'm with you and Dave Ramsey... Cash is king and I guess for me, I would take time to save up, or just do without it. I reckon borrowing money like this is not a great idea 🙂

Im on a 2015GT and newer FB group. A guy was going to buy a new Mustang GT for $60K.  He was putting down $6000 and making $1200 payments.   My advice to him is put that $6000 in a money market fund and put $1200 a month in the fund.   After 3 years if your still in love with the idea buy it used for about 2/3 the price or less.  

10/23/2023 3:13 PM  #13

Steve69 wrote:

Im on a 2015GT and newer FB group. A guy was going to buy a new Mustang GT for $60K.  He was putting down $6000 and making $1200 payments.   My advice to him is put that $6000 in a money market fund and put $1200 a month in the fund.   After 3 years if your still in love with the idea buy it used for about 2/3 the price or less.  

Now that's great advice! 👍

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.