FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/31/2023 10:40 PM  #1

So my damned car ate my socket and two nuts

Ford didn't plan ahead to help out errant mechanics who pull the seats in their 65 convertibles in order to replace the carpet. Lost two nuts and a 1/2" deep socket in the black hole that is the reinforcing box below the seats - you know, the  one with the two internal shelves where the access holes are to remove the hold down nuts. Ran a magnet around as far as I could reach, but no joy. Not sure where the things went. Tapped with a mallet and couldn't hear them rattle around. Gotta get creative now - any ideas those of you who have experienced this issue?

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

10/31/2023 11:22 PM  #2

Re: So my damned car ate my socket and two nuts

Try a big neodymium magnet along out side of box and see if anything moves.

May have to use more than one.

Place duct tape on side facing body to make “sliding” a little easier.

11/01/2023 5:16 AM  #3

An inspection camera would be very handy.  Pretty sure HF has them.  I have a Milwaukee one.  Great for stuff like this. 

11/01/2023 7:04 AM  #4

I used a small inspection mirror on a extending handle to locate one troublesome nut. Then a magnet that I taped the sides to keep it from sticking to the floor as I slid it towards the lost nut.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/01/2023 7:29 AM  #5

For future reference, use paper tubes in the holes like tp or wax paper, cling wrap come rolled on.
Just cut them to length and push them into the holes, take ‘‘em out when you’re done.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/01/2023 7:33 AM  #6

I used the flex cable magnet in there, instead of the antenna style magnet.  Also, the three prong grabber might be a possibility if you can locate it with a scope.

You got to get that socket.out of there or you will regret the sound it makes every time you hit a bump for the rest of the time you own the car.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

11/01/2023 12:33 PM  #7

Thank you all for your answers - gives me several options. I will head on over to HF and pick up that borescope thingy. If I can see it, then I can figure out how to reach it and the nuts too.

11/01/2023 3:41 PM  #8

A HOLE SAW is your friend ! 
how about a loop of heavy-ish wire (think lasso) in the hole and drag everything to the hole
(then the hole saw)
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/01/2023 9:16 PM  #9

I lost 5 of the 8 nuts, and a socket, in my pans while trial fitting 95 seats in mine. Got 1 nut and the socket out with an old speaker magnet. I'll concentrate on getting the rest out when the seats go in to stay.
I learnt to use an empty TP roll in the hole, up to the nut ... stuff can only fall out of the roll.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

11/01/2023 10:00 PM  #10

Big magnet under the pan. Move around until the socket follows the magnet over to the hole.

If no luck, pump the hole thing full of Liquid Nails and go for a drive. At least it will quit rattling.

I always use a 1/2”,  3/8 drive deep cocker with an extension to help keep control of the socket.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/01/2023 11:33 PM  #11

MS wrote:

Big magnet under the pan. Move around until the socket follows the magnet over to the hole.

If no luck, pump the hole thing full of Liquid Nails and go for a drive. At least it will quit rattling.

I always use a 1/2”, 3/8 drive deep cocker with an extension to help keep control of the socket.

Guess I'm gonna have to get one o' them deep cockers when I put the seats back in..... :-) That's the socket I was using. As I pulled it out I got it cocked and it snagged on the edge of the hole - boink and it was gone. I have an endoscope being delivered tomorrow, but in the meantime I am having fun trimming the new carpet and locating all the necessary holes to cut. At least with a convertible, you can drop the top and have a lot of room to work.

11/02/2023 7:40 AM  #12

Another thought, attached a magnet w/duct tape to the area next to the access hole (or over it) and drive the car in a stop and go manner.  The magnet should catch the nut and socket as is slides past.  
Just a thought.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

11/02/2023 8:00 AM  #13

Ron68 wrote:

MS wrote:

I always use a 1/2”, 3/8 drive deep cocker with an extension to help keep control of the socket.

Guess I'm gonna have to get one o' them deep cockers when I put the seats back in..... :-) That's the socket I was using. As I pulled it out I got it cocked and it snagged on the edge of the hole - boink and it was gone. I have an endoscope being delivered tomorrow, but in the meantime I am having fun trimming the new carpet and locating all the necessary holes to cut. At least with a convertible, you can drop the top and have a lot of room to work.

Ok, you caught me with a typo. My phone must have “self-corrected” to that without me catching it. Normally I would go back and edit my response, but then it would take away from your response, so I will leave it alone. Cocker should be socket. That was a pretty major typo for me.  It is difficult for my recovering perfectionist self to leave it that way but, what the heck, I couldn’t call it recovering if I tried to fix everything.

11/02/2023 9:19 AM  #14

Maybe some louder mufflers would help...lol.   Good luck with finding them.  Id dry longer magnet also.  Harbor freight has a lot of different sizes.  

11/02/2023 1:42 PM  #15

MS wrote:

Ron68 wrote:

MS wrote:

Ok, you caught me with a typo. My phone must have “self-corrected” to that without me catching it. Normally I would go back and edit my response, but then it would take away from your response, so I will leave it alone. Cocker should be socket. That was a pretty major typo for me. It is difficult for my recovering perfectionist self to leave it that way but, what the heck, I couldn’t call it recovering if I tried to fix everything.

It just goes the show that you are human, and you can laugh at yourself - a very important trait to have. ( I did Google deep cocker though - just in case... )

11/02/2023 3:13 PM  #16

Ron68 wrote:

MS wrote:

Ron68 wrote:

Ok, you caught me with a typo. My phone must have “self-corrected” to that without me catching it. Normally I would go back and edit my response, but then it would take away from your response, so I will leave it alone. Cocker should be socket. That was a pretty major typo for me. It is difficult for my recovering perfectionist self to leave it that way but, what the heck, I couldn’t call it recovering if I tried to fix everything.

It just goes the show that you are human, and you can laugh at yourself - a very important trait to have. ( I did Google deep cocker though - just in case... )

Hopefully there were no kids around when you did that!

11/02/2023 4:52 PM  #17

Jack the rear of the car up really high, then try bumping the bottom with the rubber mallet.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

11/02/2023 7:27 PM  #18

We have success!! With a $35 Amazon endoscope and some creative work with a magnet and a brazing rod I was able to locate and retrieve my socket, the two nuts I lost - and two additional nuts lost by someone else in the past almost 60 years!
For those not familiar with the underbelly of a convertible, the reinforcing boxes located below the seats that non convertibles don't have, have two levels. The items lost were in the upper level so tapping and sliding a magnet  would not have worked.
Now to devise a sure way to not lose my nuts or socket when I reinstall the seats.

11/02/2023 8:00 PM  #19

Ron68 wrote:

We have success!! With a $35 Amazon endoscope and some creative work with a magnet and a brazing rod I was able to locate and retrieve my socket, the two nuts I lost - and two additional nuts lost by someone else in the past almost 60 years!
For those not familiar with the underbelly of a convertible, the reinforcing boxes located below the seats that non convertibles don't have, have two levels. The items lost were in the upper level so tapping and sliding a magnet  would not have worked.
Now to devise a sure way to not lose my nuts or socket when I reinstall the seats.

Use the toilet paper roll tube or similar that I mentioned previously.
Use about 10 turns of electrical tape to secure the socket to the extension, use 1 turn of the same tape to hold the nut to the socket.
Good luck!

11/03/2023 5:49 AM  #20

Yep, I found extra nuts up in there too.   

Duct tape works, but I bought a 3/8 locking socket extension. 

It has a push button on the side.  It holds sockets pretty darn good, its even better when you have to make a mega extention.

Anyways, I was going to put a link to one, but now I can't find another one like it.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

11/03/2023 8:55 AM  #21

A little bit of weatherstrip adhesive inside the socket will secure the nut to the socket, when removing the nuts.  Tape or more adhesive works going back together. Also works on extensions if yours are old and worn like most of mine.

11/03/2023 9:47 AM  #22

wow I never thought about the tube idea. Will have to remimber that one. Glad all is good now.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

11/03/2023 10:02 AM  #23

You could dedicate an extension and socket by welding 😱
JB weld if you don’t own an arn melter.

11/03/2023 11:37 AM  #24

Rudi wrote:

arn melter.

Outstanding! Ol Sal has some competition.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

11/03/2023 1:44 PM  #25

RPM, aka Bearing Bob wrote:

Rudi wrote:

arn melter.

Outstanding! Ol Sal has some competition.

Ha,  thanks Bob,  even though I’m from Southern Ontario I’ve  yet to master  Sal’s southern drawl.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.