FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/29/2023 11:48 AM  #1

My 347 BluePrint Stroker came last week.

The engine looks really nice.   

10/29/2023 12:10 PM  #2

Re: My 347 BluePrint Stroker came last week.

Good deal. I am still working on getting my 347 up and running. Radiator is going in this week. Major last piece is going to be the exhaust.

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

10/29/2023 12:20 PM  #3

Brian has one of those in his Cougar. It sounds nice.
What carb do they put on those?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

10/29/2023 7:09 PM  #4

Still loving my 347, I just put in 3:80 gears that work great with the T5

68 Cougar XR7 347 stroker T5 3:80

10/30/2023 7:22 AM  #5

MS wrote:

Its a holley street warrior 600 cfm carburetor.   I really liked my summit racing carburetor.  I think Im going to pull the holley and run the summit carburetor.   I ended up parting out my old engine because it did have some performance parts on it.  I ended up at about $2500 and still have a few parts to sell.  

Last edited by Steve69 (10/30/2023 7:23 AM)

10/30/2023 7:22 AM  #6

BTaylor wrote:

Still loving my 347, I just put in 3:80 gears that work great with the T5

I have a 3.25 gear and a T5.  Im pretty excited to get it going.  

10/30/2023 9:08 AM  #7

Steve69 wrote:

MS wrote:

Its a holley street warrior 600 cfm carburetor.   I really liked my summit racing carburetor.  I think Im going to pull the holley and run the summit carburetor.   I ended up parting out my old engine because it did have some performance parts on it.  I ended up at about $2500 and still have a few parts to sell.  

I think I would use the Holley first to see how it runs. That should be the carb it was dyno’d with. Should already be jetted for that engine.  If it bothers you after running it, then switch to the summit. They are good carbs, but I would take a Holley any day. You can add the center pivot bowls and fuel lines and set it up exactly as Ford would have installed it.

10/31/2023 8:25 AM  #8

MS wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

MS wrote:

I think I would use the Holley first to see how it runs. That should be the carb it was dyno’d with. Should already be jetted for that engine. If it bothers you after running it, then switch to the summit. They are good carbs, but I would take a Holley any day. You can add the center pivot bowls and fuel lines and set it up exactly as Ford would have installed it.

From what I've seen with others with the blueprint 347 is the holley's are running rich that they have to re jet.  They time the engine to get them running and dyno them.  They dont do any tuning.  

10/31/2023 8:30 AM  #9

KeithP wrote:

Good deal. I am still working on getting my 347 up and running. Radiator is going in this week. Major last piece is going to be the exhaust.

You'll have to let us know when you get it running.  Im working on the front dress and few odd and ends.  Im going from long tubes to shorty headers so Im going to have to do some exhaust work up front too. 

10/31/2023 11:17 AM  #10

Steve69 wrote:

KeithP wrote:

You'll have to let us know when you get it running.  Im working on the front dress and few odd and ends.  Im going from long tubes to shorty headers so Im going to have to do some exhaust work up front too. 

host gifs

These are the Sanderson Headers. Very close to the clutch cable. Will have to put some heat shield on cable and exhaust pipe.

10/31/2023 9:09 PM  #11

Steve69 wrote:

MS wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

I think I would use the Holley first to see how it runs. That should be the carb it was dyno’d with. Should already be jetted for that engine. If it bothers you after running it, then switch to the summit. They are good carbs, but I would take a Holley any day. You can add the center pivot bowls and fuel lines and set it up exactly as Ford would have installed it.

From what I've seen with others with the blueprint 347 is the holley's are running rich that they have to re jet.  They time the engine to get them running and dyno them.  They dont do any tuning.  

Seems like they would tune one of them, then duplicate the jetting on similar builds to get max hp on the dyno. More HP equals more $$$

11/01/2023 9:12 AM  #12

KeithP wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

KeithP wrote:

host gifs

These are the Sanderson Headers. Very close to the clutch cable. Will have to put some heat shield on cable and exhaust pipe.

That is going to be close. Maybe there's something you could attach to a oil pan bolt to pull the cable over a bit too.  I was going to tell you to check all the engine plugs too.   I had a couple that were loose.  I believe they pulled them out to install gauges or sensors when they run and dyno the engine. Then they reinstalled them finger tight.    Steve69

Last edited by Steve69 (11/01/2023 9:14 AM)

11/01/2023 9:16 AM  #13

MS wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

MS wrote:

Seems like they would tune one of them, then duplicate the jetting on similar builds to get max hp on the dyno. More HP equals more $$$

I wish they would too.   I might just give the holley a try.  There's enough help on here that could get me in the right direction if I need to rejet the carburetor.  

11/02/2023 2:43 PM  #14

What intake manifold is that? It looks similar to the Victor Jr. on my 347.

11/02/2023 4:25 PM  #15

MS wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

MS wrote:

It’s a cookie cutter world !

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/02/2023 6:11 PM  #16

boss347convertible wrote:

That's a BluePrint Engines designed intake. It even has their name on it.

11/02/2023 6:53 PM  #17

This video was posted 4 months ago.  If you haven't seen it already, it is an interesting watch:

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

11/03/2023 7:58 AM  #18

Its all open underneath the ports.  Blueprint marked like KeithP said.  

11/03/2023 2:14 PM  #19

Steve69 wrote:

From the photos, I could see the divided plenum, but the intake manifold looked like a single plane. I checked the Blueprint website, and assuming I compared the same engine, the intake manifold is a dual plane. The Blueprint website also said the engine was dyno rated using a 670 cfm Holley.

For comparison, Ford gave my 347 similar ratings: 450hp/400tq with the Victor Jr., open headers and a Holley 750. The specifications of your engine and my engine are not very far apart, so I have to wonder if the Victor Jr. and Holley 750 don't play a part in the power ratings.

Using an Autolite 4100 (Jon Enyart of Pony Carburetors and I went back and forth on this application quite a bit), stock mechanical fuel pump, mufflers, t5 and 9 inch, on a chassis dyno the car puts out 369hp (5800rpm)/352tq (4750 rpm) at the wheels. I am looking forward to your comments when you have had a chance to drive your car with the new engine.

11/03/2023 4:52 PM  #20

Many years ago John Enyart personally told me the 4100 was a perfect match for my 331.
He built the 4100 for me but I never installed it, I used 670;Street Avenger.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

11/04/2023 9:05 AM  #21

Rudi wrote:

Many years ago John Enyart personally told me the 4100 was a perfect match for my 331.

Jon was super knowledgeable on the 4100 and he told me that the 4100 would work perfectly on my 347. I sent Jon all of the specs on the 347 and he put one together. Jon had a big block at his shop that he used as a test mule and he ran my 4100 on it. I told him I did not think that would emulate my 347 across the rpm range. The 4100 has been on the car since 2007. The chassis dyno showed the A/F ratio was very lean from about 2000-3000 rpm, but spot on thereafter. HP and torque completely dropped off at 5600-5800 rpm.

I changed the jetting, but haven't had the car back on the dyno.  From idle, a blip on the throttle will occasionally cause a "pop" through the carburetor and the engine will stall coming off idle. A few pumps of the accelerator keeps the engine running; otherwise it stalls. I suspect that the engine is going lean and that the high rise intake manifold contributes to this condition. Adjusting the idle screws doesn't seem to cure the condition.  A Holley 670-750 might be in my future

11/06/2023 8:40 AM  #22

Steve69 wrote:

From the photos, I could see the divided plenum, but the intake manifold looked like a single plane. I checked the Blueprint website, and assuming I compared the same engine, the intake manifold is a dual plane. The Blueprint website also said the engine was dyno rated using a 670 cfm Holley.

For comparison, Ford gave my 347 similar ratings: 450hp/400tq with the Victor Jr., open headers and a Holley 750. The specifications of your engine and my engine are not very far apart, so I have to wonder if the Victor Jr. and Holley 750 don't play a part in the power ratings.

Using an Autolite 4100 (Jon Enyart of Pony Carburetors and I went back and forth on this application quite a bit), stock mechanical fuel pump, mufflers, t5 and 9 inch, on a chassis dyno the car puts out 369hp (5800rpm)/352tq (4750 rpm) at the wheels. I am looking forward to your comments when you have had a chance to drive your car with the new engine.

Thats pretty good HP to the wheels!

11/06/2023 8:46 AM  #23

Rudi wrote:

Jon was super knowledgeable on the 4100 and he told me that the 4100 would work perfectly on my 347. I sent Jon all of the specs on the 347 and he put one together. Jon had a big block at his shop that he used as a test mule and he ran my 4100 on it. I told him I did not think that would emulate my 347 across the rpm range. The 4100 has been on the car since 2007. The chassis dyno showed the A/F ratio was very lean from about 2000-3000 rpm, but spot on thereafter. HP and torque completely dropped off at 5600-5800 rpm.

I changed the jetting, but haven't had the car back on the dyno.  From idle, a blip on the throttle will occasionally cause a "pop" through the carburetor and the engine will stall coming off idle. A few pumps of the accelerator keeps the engine running; otherwise it stalls. I suspect that the engine is going lean and that the high rise intake manifold contributes to this condition. Adjusting the idle screws doesn't seem to cure the condition.  A Holley 670-750 might be in my future

On my old 302 I used at least 3 other carburetors and EFI.   I had Carter, Holley Avenger, Demon and FiTech EFI.
The last carburetor I tried was the summit racing carburetor and that worked the best out of all of them.   The FiTech was good too but the random shut offs when driving 60mph were the last draw.   The summit racing cold start was great.  No warm up .  Start up and go.  No bogging or bucking or any of that crap when it was cold.  Warm starts were good to.  If it was really hot I would get some vapor lock.  Id just hold the pedal to the floor and it would fire.  

11/06/2023 10:42 AM  #24

Steve69 wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

Thats pretty good HP to the wheels!

Miles of smiles is quote that is applicable.

11/06/2023 10:47 AM  #25

Steve69 wrote:

Rudi wrote:

On my old 302 I used at least 3 other carburetors and EFI.   I had Carter, Holley Avenger, Demon and FiTech EFI.
The last carburetor I tried was the summit racing carburetor and that worked the best out of all of them.   The FiTech was good too but the random shut offs when driving 60mph were the last draw.   The summit racing cold start was great.  No warm up .  Start up and go.  No bogging or bucking or any of that crap when it was cold.  Warm starts were good to.  If it was really hot I would get some vapor lock.  Id just hold the pedal to the floor and it would fire.  

I will put the Summit carb on the consideration list along with a Holley and a Holley efi system. With the mechanical fuel pump, and sitting for an hour or so, hot starts required  a lot of cranking. With an electric pump, hot starts are immediate. My car generates a lot of underhood heat and I suspect that the fuel was vaporizing from the bowls when hot and sitting for an hour, even with an insulator. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.