FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/21/2013 4:05 PM  #1

If you ever want to install a T5 tranny...

Call Ernest!  He can lift a T5 and hold it in place with one hand and fiddle with bolts with the other.  While I was looking around for my jack to lift it up, he just said.. Here, this way is faster.  In it went!

Thanks, Ernest for the help.  And Sheila, too, for tightening the tranny bolts while I watched.

My T5 now has a T5 in it !

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/21/2013 4:15 PM  #2

Re: If you ever want to install a T5 tranny...

must be a strong dude

11/21/2013 5:01 PM  #3

MustangSteve wrote:

Call Ernest!  He can lift a T5 and hold it in place with one hand and fiddle with bolts with the other.  While I was looking around for my jack to lift it up, he just said.. Here, this way is faster.  In it went!

Thanks, Ernest for the help.  And Sheila, too, for tightening the tranny bolts while I watched.

Very similar thing happened to me with a toploader...my buddy laid down on his back and maneuvered the trans onto his chest to raise it up..just then his phone rang, he took a phone call first then put the trans in...I really miss him he now lives in Texas...jj

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

11/21/2013 8:37 PM  #4

jerseyjoe wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

Very similar thing happened to me with a toploader...my buddy laid down on his back and maneuvered the trans onto his chest to raise it up..just then his phone rang, he took a phone call first then put the trans in...I really miss him he now lives in Texas...jj

Wow. Cojones.

Last edited by McStang (11/21/2013 8:38 PM)

(Pinto!)

11/21/2013 9:13 PM  #5

Send up too Wisconsin.  Im in the middle of the T5 Swap.   Pulling out the t10 this weekend I hope.

Steve69

11/22/2013 9:21 AM  #6

jerseyjoe wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

His name wouldn't be Mike, would it?  My mechanic friend does transmissions the exact same way.  The first time I had trouble getting the T5 in my coupe he came over and did the same thing.  I ended up holding the light. 

Needless to say I still use a floor jack.  I've had one slip out on my already and I don't need a cracked sternum.

11/22/2013 9:30 AM  #7

I actually have a big floor jack with a T5 installation plate permanently attached to it.  It works great because it positively holds the transmission in place and you can set the angle to match the engine angle.  Problem is... now I have a lift and I am not getting down and dirty on that floor ever again!  And the jack just won't go that high.   ENTER:  ERNEST !

11/22/2013 9:51 AM  #8

I remember what a PIA it is with a standard jack pulling the tranny out and putting knew one in.  Il have to come up with something to make it easier.   That car raise would be awesome!  Maybe you could weld something on the top of your engine hoist to lift the transmission up under neith the car when its on the lift.

Steve69

Last edited by Steve69 (11/22/2013 9:57 AM)

11/22/2013 10:10 AM  #9

My T5 weighs 85 pounds. I put my transmission jack on top of my red HF 5 drawer tool cart and put the tranny on the tranny jack. Ran the car up in the air on the four post, rolled the tool cart under the car, ran the tranny jack up and stabbed in the tranny. That way I only had to lift the T5 to chest height. Lifting it overhead would be a whole nother level of strength. You have made me curious tho. I have another T5 in the shop. I'm going to go out and do some overhead presses with it.

11/22/2013 10:29 AM  #10

Is there another way to do it?  This is how I have always put my tranny's in.  I have had my T-5 in my car numerous times for mock ups and have just lifted it up in there, held it with one hand and started the bolts with the other.

11/22/2013 11:20 AM  #11

Kristang wrote:

Is there another way to do it?  This is how I have always put my tranny's in.  I have had my T-5 in my car numerous times for mock ups and have just lifted it up in there, held it with one hand and started the bolts with the other.

That must of been after eating Lefse and Lutefisk Kristang...LOL

11/22/2013 2:35 PM  #12

No Lutefisk for this guy!!  We use that stuff to keep the skunks away-that is one of the worst smells in existence!

11/22/2013 2:55 PM  #13

You just didn't add enough Butter and Salt to it...LOL    Did you get your Stang out this summer Kristang?

11/22/2013 3:06 PM  #14

After waiting for 3 years for my body guy to get my car done, I finally had enough.  That was 6 months ago. I went to pull the car from him and ge BEGGED me not to take it, assured me he would have it back to me by this Thanksgiving.  2 weeks ago, he calls me and tells me he doesn't have the time to finish it!!!!  Fast forward to today, it left my house bound for a Mustang restoration shop here in the Twin Cities.  I will have it back by the end of January!  I literally have every piece I need to put my car back together, I just need the bodywork and paint finished and it's finally happening.  I will be driving it next spring, which around here could be June!!

11/22/2013 3:49 PM  #15

You should of taken it to my body guy.  He had mine done in a week...LOL

11/22/2013 10:58 PM  #16

Steve69 wrote:

I remember what a PIA it is with a standard jack pulling the tranny out and putting knew one in.  Il have to come up with something to make it easier.   That car raise would be awesome!  Maybe you could weld something on the top of your engine hoist to lift the transmission up under neith the car when its on the lift.

Steve69

STEVE !!!  Excellent idea!    I had not considered that.  I have used the hoist to remove the bed and cab from the pickup, why not make a bracket that will hold the transmission!!!!  If I ever do another one, I will check that out.

11/22/2013 11:31 PM  #17

They do make high rise transmission jacks.  I hear they even rent them.

11/23/2013 9:37 AM  #18

One person lifting and stabbing the transmission was normal procedure in our shop. This is how I and others did it. Lay on creeper, have a coworker lay transmission on chest area, roll under vehicle stab
transmission, hold tail shaft with one hand and start bolts with other.
Just something we did regularly. I imagine other shops did it the same way?
Howard 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.