FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/19/2013 5:51 PM  #1

Fuel injections MS?

Hey did you install the new MSD fuel injection on your 66?

I saw your note about the electric fan control on the atomic FI and remember a post you had about the electric fuel pump.

If so can you give me a run down?  I really like the look of the ez efi2.0 that is out now and from what I have heard it is pretty slick.

11/19/2013 7:38 PM  #2

Re: Fuel injections MS?

I did install it before the bash trip.  They are lying to you when they say it does not require a fuel return line and you can simply bolt their pump to the frame.  But, once everything is set up, it does work quite well.  Immediately the 427 came to life with the most impressive throttle response I have ever heard short of a top fuel dragster.

In an effort to increase the injector duty cycle to above 4% where it was, I fiddled with idle settings and now have it fouled up where the duty cycle is higher (They want to see 10%, but just can't get there) so now I need to figure out where the baseline settings are and start over.  If I had left it alone, it probably would have been just fine.  That's what I get for reading the directions.

Car got 15 MPG on the bash trip to Tennesee.  Previous mileage wih 351W and carburetor was 24 on the bash trip to Georgia.  I guess you can't get around the fact the 427 is just going to use more fuel than a 351.  I measure the drives in SMILES per gallon now, though.

The thing gave me no trouble except the fuel pump makes a screaming noise when I get below 1/2 tank.  I am going to remove the pre-filter between the tank and pump to see if that helps.  If not, I will add a low pressure iin-line pusher pump to keep the high pressure pump with a good supply of gas.  Some of the old timers in the neighborhood said it was probably vibration related noise, but I don't think so.  I can hold the pump with my hand while it is making noise and it still makes noise.  I think it is cavitation related.  But it has never had a problem delivering full flow at full throttle.

I have a design in my head (these don't always pan out, but alot do) to be able to mount the pump in the tank without all that crap sticking up out of the top of the tank, killing trunk space.  But first I will see if I can get it to be quiet with easier methods.

The handheld dashboard is really cool.  You can set everything from the driver seat, and it reports fuel ratio, engine temp, inlet air temp, idle speed, injector duty ctcle and a whole bunch of other crap I don't care about yet.

An advantage of the MSD unit is that it can be hooked up to an MSD distributor to control the timing and advance.  I can see how that would have real advantages.  They advise to just get it running well first and THEN tackle the distributor stuff.  You have to lock out the timing in the distributor and add an adjustable rotor.  Only works with MSD dizzy so keep in mind if you are buying parts.

I figure I will tackle the timing thing after I get the truck going.

Last edited by MustangSteve (11/19/2013 7:42 PM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/19/2013 8:18 PM  #3

How are the cold and warm starts MS?

Steve69

11/19/2013 8:44 PM  #4

You hit the key anytime, and it starts and runs.  Almost as good as my old Holley Street Avenger.

11/20/2013 8:50 AM  #5

My Holley Street Avenger isn't too good with the hot starts...LOL.   Thanks for the info MS!

11/22/2013 9:47 AM  #6

Last questions MS.  Does it bump up your idle when your AC comes on.

Do you get the Fumey Carburetor smell from the Exhaust?

Thanks
Steve69

11/22/2013 11:18 PM  #7

No more exhaust smell.  That was a major goal.

The idle does not increase when the ac comes on, but the computer reads the ac and compensates for the added load, maintaining the exact idle speed.  I have it set for 925 RPM and it maintains that within a very close tolerance.

And the fuel pump sings to you as you drive.  And the return line and regulator kit that is "not required" only costs $495.

11/23/2013 10:34 AM  #8

Thanks for the info MS!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.