FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/30/2023 10:42 AM  #1

MS I have confirmed the answer to your question.

In my thread about eliminating exhaust drone the conversation came up about "4 pulses per rotation"  Your question was:

MS wrote:

Are you sure about four firing per revolution? Does distributor rotate at half crank speed?

My answer in that thread was:

Daze wrote:

I’ve never thought of it in terms of what the distributor is doing, but I can only assume the distributor is moving at half speed? All I know is it takes two full rotations for one combustion cycle. You draw fuel and air in then you compress the fuel and air. that’s one rotation. Then you ignite fuel and air, causing the piston to go back down into the bore and then you push the exhaust out that’s a second rotation. With eight cylinders and two rotations required per each cylinder fired, you only get four ignition’s in one rotation .

Yesterday I confirmed it by turning the crank of the 351W on my engine run stand.  One rotation of the crank does in fact result in 1/2 rotation of the distributor. So yes the distributor rotates at half crank speed.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

11/30/2023 11:43 AM  #2

Re: MS I have confirmed the answer to your question.

I thought about this, too!  All my born days, I just assumed a v8 fires eight times per revolution of the crank.  But when you apply the four-stroke-cycle rule to it, you are absolutely correct that it only fires four times per rev!

Right?

Dang, I just lost 50% of my power!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/30/2023 11:53 AM  #3

MS wrote:

I thought about this, too! All my born days, I just assumed a v8 fires eight times per revolution of the crank. But when you apply the four-stroke-cycle rule to it, you are absolutely correct that it only fires four times per stroke!
Right?

CORRECT!! Seams counter intuitive some how.  That is why even after I thought it through logically  and came to the conclusion that it MUST only be 4 per cycle, I was still not convinced.  So I went out and tested it to know for sure and it is confirmed 2:1

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

11/30/2023 7:41 PM  #4

I can't believe you guys did not know that!  I learned about it in Jr High science class. - - - I'm 82 now.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

11/30/2023 8:06 PM  #5

lowercasesteve wrote:

I can't believe you guys did not know that!  I learned about it in Jr High science class. - - - I'm 82 now.

Me too! Actually it was a small engine repair class.

Last edited by RV6 (11/30/2023 8:07 PM)

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

12/01/2023 6:52 AM  #6

It does seem intuitive.  The cam spins only once for every two rotations of the crank.  The distributor is driven off the cam, so one would expect it to rotate at cam speed, not crank speed.  Additionally, each cylinder only fires once for every two rotations of the crank, so unless the plugs were also firing at TDC of the exhaust stroke it wouldn't make much sense. 

12/01/2023 7:49 AM  #7

Heck, I knew my lawnmower engine only fired every other stroke since I was a little kid.

It’s the multiplying times eight that was my downfall.

Now, please excuse Daze and me while we pursue the development of a 2-stroke cycle v8 for retrofit in a Mustang.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/01/2023 9:41 AM  #8

And add in that the cam gear is twice the size of the crank gear is another clue. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

12/01/2023 2:57 PM  #9

MS wrote:

Heck, I knew my lawnmower engine only fired every other stroke since I was a little kid.

Now, please excuse Daze and me while we pursue the development of a 2-stroke cycle v8 for retrofit in a Mustang.

Twice as much power, heck cut one bank off and make it a straight 4.  Nah, you guys really want to do some engineering figure out the Hot Vapor Engine Smokey Yunick was working on. 

12/01/2023 4:27 PM  #10

TKOPerformance wrote:

MS wrote:

Twice as much power, heck cut one bank off and make it a straight 4.  Nah, you guys really want to do some engineering figure out the Hot Vapor Engine Smokey Yunick was working on. 

I remember an article in Hot Rod about that engine, but I think it was not by Smoky Yunick.  It was some other old time hot rodder.  Maybe Smokey took it up later.  It was a great idea.  heat the gas until it vaporizes before it enters the cylinder.  that creates more complete combustion, and thus more power.  Recently, I saw an article about it still being worked on.  Can't remember where.  

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

12/01/2023 5:18 PM  #11

lowercasesteve wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

MS wrote:

I remember an article in Hot Rod about that engine, but I think it was not by Smoky Yunick.  It was some other old time hot rodder.  Maybe Smokey took it up later.  It was a great idea.  heat the gas until it vaporizes before it enters the cylinder.  that creates more complete combustion, and thus more power.  Recently, I saw an article about it still being worked on.  Can't remember where.  

Hey Steve, y'all gonna make the Bash down here next year? It's only about five hours away. Easy drive. Sure would be nice to meet you.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

12/01/2023 5:33 PM  #12

Daze & MS – your next fun challenge is to figure out how a V8 flat crank engine fires the cylinders on the 4-stroke process.  No fun cheating by looking at the internet. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

12/02/2023 7:35 AM  #13

lowercasesteve wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

MS wrote:

Smokey holds the patents on it, but may have worked with others on the development.  He discussed it in his autobiography.  Originally he was going to sell or license it to John DeLorean for use in the DeLorean automobiles, but once DeLorean encountered his problems that deal died, and the HVE seems to have gone with it.  This was in the mid '80s.  Smokey converted a couple V engines into straight engines by removing half the cylinders (so V6 to I3, etc.).  He claimed he got 2+ HP per cubic inch, low emissions, and incredible fuel economy, even with a carb and points ignition.  I was very interested in it when I read his book and think I understand how it works in theory, but practically I had a lot of questions, and I think the answers were in old Smoke's head when he left this world.  It boggles my mind to think that no one picked it up with our current quest for efficiency and lower emissions. 

12/10/2023 2:07 PM  #14

Now I finally understand your comment/question about the drill speed in the "homebrew distributor machine" post.  The drill for the machine only has to turn the distributor at 2000 rpm to simulate a crankshaft speed of 4000 rpm.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.