FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/07/2023 3:14 PM  #26

Re: TKX Neutral Safety Switch?

boss347convertible wrote:

I let the clutch out and hit the starter at the same time, and to my relief, the car started. Car would not have started with just the date's efforts.

I'm gonna store that away in my 'brang-cell-locker' for future use...(IF I can remember it at the time.)
I do have a start switch I can spin the engine over AND THEN engage the ignition system.
That works pretty good when the engine is hot and the battery wants to get a little sluggish.
Good inflammation !!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/07/2023 4:22 PM  #27

It works the other way too.  You can use the starter to move the car so long as you've got a good battery and you don't do it for long enough to get anything hot.  Well, so long as the engine isn't locked up anyway. 

12/07/2023 6:04 PM  #28

Like a broken crankshaft?

12/08/2023 6:49 AM  #29

Nos681 wrote:

Like a broken crankshaft?

No.  Why?

12/08/2023 9:14 AM  #30

I should have included that with a neutral switch, one can still engage to starter from outside the car (with trans in neutral), with a clutch switch, one needs to depress the clutch pedal, which means having to sit in the car.   
And yes, forward along the Ron Frances wiring diagram. 

Last edited by BobE (12/08/2023 9:16 AM)

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

12/08/2023 10:04 AM  #31

BobE wrote:

I should have included that with a neutral switch, one can still engage to starter from outside the car (with trans in neutral), with a clutch switch, one needs to depress the clutch pedal, which means having to sit in the car.  

I agree that if anyone were to install a clutch switch that they should pair it with a Neutral switch.  For most of us, I'm sure neither switch is the preferred configuration. 

Regarding a Neutral only switch, it makes those moments when a bad clutch release at a busy intersection kills the engine a little more awkward for quickly restarting and continuing.  I'm certain this doesn't apply to anyone reading this forum.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

12/08/2023 9:44 PM  #32

I'm not sure how PAINLESS does it but I have American Auto Wire (AAW). My guess is they are similar They have a wire from the start switch to the (Neutral Safety Switch) NSS . Then from the NSS to the start solenoid. Tie them 2 together and it will work. No NSS in volved.  . 

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

12/09/2023 1:37 PM  #33

wsinsle wrote:

I'm not sure how PAINLESS does it but I have American Auto Wire (AAW). My guess is they are similar They have a wire from the start switch to the (Neutral Safety Switch) NSS . Then from the NSS to the start solenoid. Tie them 2 together and it will work. No NSS in volved.  . 

Thanks for your input. Sounds like both harnesses are the same. I did splice the two together and then ran the wire to the S post on the relay (not sure if I need to do that or not). I’m going to remove the NSS from the trans and plug the inlet just to clean it up. 

12/10/2023 7:19 AM  #34

Mark in CA wrote:

wsinsle wrote:

Thanks for your input. Sounds like both harnesses are the same. I did splice the two together and then ran the wire to the S post on the relay (not sure if I need to do that or not). I’m going to remove the NSS from the trans and plug the inlet just to clean it up. 

Not sure the size of that switch, but when I've plugged switch holes in T5s and T56s before I used an oil drain plug I found at NAPA that had the correct thread.  T56s from F bodies used this stupid skip shift solenoid which basically made you shift from 1st to 4th if you weren't at WOT.  It was controlled by the ECM, so in a swap situation you either had to wire a way to bypass it or remove it.  I'd always remove it and plug the hole with a drain plug.  Can't remember the size, but just take the switch to the store and match it up. 

12/10/2023 2:50 PM  #35

TKOPerformance wrote:

Mark in CA wrote:

wsinsle wrote:

I .  . 

.  T56s from F bodies used this stupid skip shift solenoid which basically
    made you shift from 1st to 4th if you weren't at WOT. .

How zat work with a manual trans ?!
Never heard this before........
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/10/2023 3:36 PM  #36

6sally6 wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Mark in CA wrote:

6sally6

It interferes with the shift shaft inside the trans so that when you pull the shifter back to engage what you think is going to be 2nd gear it kicks it into the 3/4 gate and you are forced into 4th gear.  Its exactly as obtrusive and annoying as it sounds. 

12/12/2023 9:53 AM  #37

Nos681 wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

Nos681 wrote:

I edited your picture Mark to clarify the wiring as TKO mentioned.

The “neutral” switch on the T5 was used only for the ECM for neutral indication.
I have read of many failures due to running full start solenoid current through this switch.

The actual “neutral safety switch” on the Foxbody Mustang was actually 2 switches under the dash…one for ECM (parallel to the transmission neutral indicator switch) and one for start circuit (start solenoid).

Just wanted to prevent someone else reading this from getting corn fused.
Sounds like a nice upgrade.

Whats the box where the 4 wires are connected too?

Relay.

Conversion from C4 to T5, I installed a jumper as well.

Thanks

12/12/2023 11:56 AM  #38

TKOPerformance wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

6sally6

It interferes with the shift shaft inside the trans so that when you pull the shifter back to engage what you think is going to be 2nd gear it kicks it into the 3/4 gate and you are forced into 4th gear.  Its exactly as obtrusive and annoying as it sounds. 

(.......I'm  from the government...and here to "help you" / protect you from yourself  kind of thang )
6sal6 

12/12/2023 3:34 PM  #39

6sally6 wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6sally6

(.......I'm from the government...and here to "help you" / protect you from yourself kind of thang )
6sal6 

Allegedly it was something they used to increase fuel economy.  But yeah, pretty much. 

12/16/2023 9:18 AM  #40

We just wired an AAW harness in a 66 with the relay and also a micro switch on the clutch pedal so you can start it in gear with the pedal depressed.  It's for a fellas wife so he wanted the safety item since his wife has not driven a stick shift in many moons.  But i do remember someone at the Bash I hosted almost squishing some of us when he tried to start the car in gear when we were in the shop.

12/17/2023 10:26 AM  #41

If somebody tries to start my TKO600 or T5 with the tranny in gear and the clutch not depressed, it will get a switch at that time.  A switch of drivers.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/17/2023 10:41 AM  #42

MS wrote:

If somebody tries to start my TKO600 or T5 with the tranny in gear and the clutch not depressed, it will get a switch at that time. A switch of drivers.

I think of these posts whenever I turn the key from outside the car, or jump the starter solenoid, seems enough to stay fresh in my mind.  Although as I getting older, I may consider wiring in the neutral switch on my T-5.  

12/17/2023 1:14 PM  #43

https://youtu.be/yc5AWImplfE?t=5

THIS kinda sez-it-all about this discussion.......
6s6

12/17/2023 6:14 PM  #44

6sally6 wrote:

6s6

Good one Mike - that old man is beating on my door daily it seems.....not letting him in yet.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

12/18/2023 9:17 AM  #45

6sally6 wrote:

6s6

Thank you Sal

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.