FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/21/2013 10:11 AM  #1

mounting UCA as far out as possible

Has anybody overhere replaced the mounting points off the UCA outwards of the original place?

i like to get as much room as possible

extra info,i have the full TCP coilover system.

want to notch the towers as much as possible.

Tonie

11/23/2013 6:13 AM  #2

Re: mounting UCA as far out as possible

nobody??

Tonie

11/23/2013 5:31 PM  #3

If I understand your question correctly I think you cannot move it at all or at least not more than you would do by adjusting camber and caster using shims if we are talking 65-66 Mustangs. The geometry of the inner attachment point of the UCA together with the upper ball joint, lower ball joint and inner attachment point of the LCA is a parallelogram where moving one corner effects the opposite in this case resulting in negative camber if you were to move the UCA inner attachment point outwards.

11/24/2013 2:34 AM  #4

Hakan wrote:

If I understand your question correctly I think you cannot move it at all or at least not more than you would do by adjusting camber and caster using shims if we are talking 65-66 Mustangs. The geometry of the inner attachment point of the UCA together with the upper ball joint, lower ball joint and inner attachment point of the LCA is a parallelogram where moving one corner effects the opposite in this case resulting in negative camber if you were to move the UCA inner attachment point outwards.

Hakan,i fully understand what you say
but if i move the upper arm 1 inch out and i make it 1 inch shorther,imho than geometrie would be the same wouldn't it?

Tonie

11/24/2013 6:00 AM  #5

Tonie wrote:

Hakan,i fully understand what you say
but if i move the upper arm 1 inch out and i make it 1 inch shorther,imho than geometrie would be the same wouldn't it?

Tonie

No, the geometry won't be the same. If you shorten the UCA and move its inner attachment point outwards the upper ball joint will travel in a tighter radius than before the modification effecting the camber curve as the suspension travels up and down.

11/24/2013 12:01 PM  #6

Tonie, i'm not done with my mod to the 65 yet but i'm getting an extra 1" on each side at the exhaust manifold area and a bunch more higher up!  it will be cool because i will be able to change plugs easy and drop the motor in with the headers on and not changing the uca location at all, all i've done is change the stock uca to the GW uca....reason is the ford design is so bulky behind the mounting shaft so they needed that ugly bulge in the tower, i'm making the tower flat across useing 3/16 plate takes care of that and the gw arm mounts nice and flush.... Jim

11/24/2013 12:49 PM  #7

jgstang wrote:

Tonie, i'm not done with my mod to the 65 yet but i'm getting an extra 1" on each side at the exhaust manifold area and a bunch more higher up!  it will be cool because i will be able to change plugs easy and drop the motor in with the headers on and not changing the uca location at all, all i've done is change the stock uca to the GW uca....reason is the ford design is so bulky behind the mounting shaft so they needed that ugly bulge in the tower, i'm making the tower flat across useing 3/16 plate takes care of that and the gw arm mounts nice and flush.... Jim

Show me some pictures Jim

will show some pictures off my idee this week.

Tonie

11/24/2013 1:15 PM  #8

Here is how I did the hump removal on my 66, also using global west upper control arms.  If you cut off any deeper than this, you risk a whole lot of shock tower flexing and eventual cracking, assuming using the UCAs on the car.
BOSS 429 cars did move the upper control arms out slightly from stock and used a shorter control arm to compensate.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/25/2013 10:09 AM  #9

steve ,i know of this mod,but thats not enough for me
my budy did the same,he also took out a piece in de middle

i want to thake out almost all of the hump
en everything can be reanforced again

i made a testpiece on the tubelaser today,will show this week my plans.

Tonie

11/25/2013 3:18 PM  #10

The global west uca is already 3/8" shorter than a stocker.  That is how they get the more agressive camber curve, like Hakan described.  I suppose instead of the 3/8" spacer they supply, you could use 3/8" of some kind of reinforcing structure.  If you go cutting out all the shock tower structure in the engine bay, it will eventually crack and the uca will come loose.  Some extra bracking outside the engine bay would help.

I have the 351W based 427 in my car and with the shock towers trimmed as shown, I have plenty of room for any maintenance I might need to do.  The key is getting the right headers.

11/26/2013 11:32 PM  #11

11/26/2013 11:43 PM  #12

gotta tell you though i like the other mod alot to, looks really clean !!  you get alot of room with this one and you can just drop in the motor/headers together and everything is in the original stock mounting position except for 1" drop......remember this is only a mock up and the rodding shops i have talked to say that this 3/16 plate is plenty good, and the way i have it...it should have plenty of strenght..i need to tow it to the shop and have it professionaly welded up after i have the 3/16 plate in place, right now its just 1/16 for mock up it. a BB will fit in there!

Last edited by jgstang (11/26/2013 11:47 PM)

11/27/2013 10:42 AM  #13

here is my idea

this way i can take away almost everything accept the springpoint on top,and i will make a new sideplate on the laser

Tonie

11/27/2013 5:20 PM  #14

i'm not sure on what exactly your doing here ?  dont mean to sound stupid but i would like to see it and the tower mocked up....looks great so far!     Jim

Last edited by jgstang (11/27/2013 5:21 PM)

11/27/2013 8:33 PM  #15

Just notched mine today. I also cut the center rib and reboxed it.

Made room to flip my shorties so I can hang a turbo on it.

11/28/2013 12:08 AM  #16

cool!  but we need to see pics.....!

12/11/2013 10:34 AM  #17

part 2
Made the plates for the shocktowers
how it looks from the engineside
and how it looks from the springside

next step,is to make a jig so i can cut in to the towers

Tonie

12/11/2013 2:49 PM  #18

That is some mighty fine work you have done.  Seems like a long way to go to get the same clearance you could have gotten by just cutting off the four bumps?  Or, are you shortening up the length of the upper control arms a bit?  Good thing that UCA is adjustable, because you sure can't get any shims back there!

12/11/2013 9:12 PM  #19

That is some nice work. Looks like you had some tube laser work done also. They really make quick work of difficult parts.

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

12/11/2013 10:52 PM  #20

I like the way you think Tonie. Nice Fab work also.

Bob

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

12/11/2013 10:59 PM  #21

very nice work indeed! will be looking forward to it fitted to the towers...

12/12/2013 7:45 AM  #22

Nice job.

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

12/12/2013 10:10 AM  #23

MustangSteve wrote:

That is some mighty fine work you have done.  Seems like a long way to go to get the same clearance you could have gotten by just cutting off the four bumps?  Or, are you shortening up the length of the upper control arms a bit?  Good thing that UCA is adjustable, because you sure can't get any shims back there!

tnx Steve

The arms will go out a 1/4 of a inch
well steve,its a lot off work to do it this way,but i really like the clean look i will get
plus, i will keep my option open to drop in a coyote lateron( mayby )

nice to hear the comments from all off you,TNX

Tonie

12/25/2013 5:07 AM  #24

Made a jig,that will follow the plate i made

will mark from the inside,then drill little holes on the line
and mask it with tape from the inside along the holes

what will give a spoton fitment,i hope

Tonie

12/25/2013 1:52 PM  #25

i'll be waiting for more pics, i'm always open to ideas! did you use a metal brake to bend the big flat plate ? 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.