FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/20/2023 6:31 PM  #1

Door mirrors questions

A good question to start a conversation.   Galaxie A has a stock plain door mirror.  The same lowest level mirror you would find on a Falcon.  Galaxie B has what seems to be a reproduction 1965/66 Mustang mirror.  What I have going on is I now have a new restriction on my drivers licence that I must have a mirror on the passenger side, too.

My first thought was to take one off one car, and put it on the other, then buy some repro mirrors for the other car, that is when I discovered the mismatch.  But it gets worse, if you've read this far, now the questions.

The original mirror is completely frozen at the ball.  Seems like from rust.   What method would you use to try to free it.  I'd like to keep it, because it actually has minimal pitting, and still presents well. I thought of maybe evaporust with an eye dropper??

The Mustang mirror is way too loose.  Won't hold in place.  Also seems to be partially plastic.  Probably not worth messing with, but any tricks I don't know of to tighten?

The mindset is thinking if I can get the original one to free up, to find one like it and put them on the FDHardtop.   Then buy a new repro set for the convertible.   
Last question.  Anyone make a decent base repro mirror?

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

12/20/2023 6:36 PM  #2

Re: Door mirrors questions

This is the crap repro mirror I believe there is no hope for.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

12/20/2023 9:42 PM  #3

Clear RTV 'might' hold the loose one in place.
You might try the argument the Gal did NOT come from the factory with two mirrors (two mirrors were an option most people didn't get) ONE mirror was standard.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/20/2023 10:01 PM  #4

I've never heard of that kind of restriction on a driver's license.  What state is your license in? (just curious)

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

12/20/2023 10:24 PM  #5

I remember my Dad buying a new Galaxie and had to buy the mirrors separately to put on it.

I once stabilized some Mustang floppy mirrors with JBWeld, filling in the gap between the mount and the mirror so it appeared the tapered part of the mount continued all the way to the mirror. I used masking tape to hold the shape of the JBWeld until it was set, but not set hard, then trimmed it with a single edge razor. After hardening, sanded it until it matched the shape and then painted it silver. I used it several years like that.
California Pony Cars, the company the stole my cable clutch design, finally came out with a better version of the standard mirror, so I got a pair of them and they are still in use ten years later.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/20/2023 10:59 PM  #6

Rufus68 wrote:

I've never heard of that kind of restriction on a driver's license.  What state is your license in? (just curious)

http://www.education4drivers.com/missouri/drivers-license-restrictions.htm

I am A/B/T/Y

12/21/2023 6:51 AM  #7

Greg B wrote:

Rufus68 wrote:

I am A/B/T/Y

Wow, Missouri loves their restriction codes.  They used every letter of the alphabet except for Q, V, and X.  But then they defined U as an uncoded restriction.  So they have all the bases covered.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

12/21/2023 9:20 AM  #8

I know my dad's 61 Galaxie did not come with an outside mirror, my dad liked the type the attached high on the driver's door, he bought one and installed it himself. 

Suggest checking out the below link, they may have what you're looking for.
https://www.haganauto.com/category_s/197.htm

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

12/21/2023 10:03 AM  #9

tennessee has the same rules. My drivers license states I need two mirrors. Early Mustang side view mirrors are mostly useless, but i have complied.

12/21/2023 10:43 AM  #10

Last time I checked, you have to have two mirrors on the car for Calif. also. Either one on each side or one side and an interior one. Cost of just one Shelby type was just $25 bucks! Wow, where have I been? Might try your local auto yard for two good replacements.

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

12/21/2023 12:06 PM  #11

Rufus68 wrote:

Greg B wrote:

Rufus68 wrote:

I am A/B/T/Y

Wow, Missouri loves their restriction codes.  They used every letter of the alphabet except for Q, V, and X.  But then they defined U as an uncoded restriction.  So they have all the bases covered.

You aren't kidding love their codes. Someone in Missouri can't drive if they don't have a seat or back cushion? Why do have a 'B' if they have a 'T' and a 'Y'? 

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

12/21/2023 12:14 PM  #12

mjacobs wrote:

tennessee has the same rules. My drivers license states I need two mirrors. Early Mustang side view mirrors are mostly useless, but i have complied.

http://www.education4drivers.com/tennessee/drivers-license-restrictions.htm

I pulled up the page for Tennessee and they only list 8 restriction codes for Driver's License.

In addition Tennessee has a separate section for "Intermediate Restricted Drivers License" and "Drivers Permit Restrictions".  So nothing like the way Missouri is trying to specify them.

Last edited by Rufus68 (12/21/2023 12:14 PM)

12/21/2023 3:19 PM  #13

Huh...I'm pretty sure I'd mount the mirror backwards just to eff with them.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

12/21/2023 4:31 PM  #14

RPM, aka Bearing Bob wrote:

Huh...I'm pretty sure I'd mount the mirror backwards just to eff with them.

That made me laugh

12/21/2023 6:00 PM  #15

My 65 didn't have a passenger mirror, and I wanted one for safety's sake, so I got one from NPD and installed it. R/H convex mirror - works great - now I don't have that blind spot over there. It was a good match for the driver side one that I replaced earlier when I got the car, as it was quite loose.

Last edited by Ron68 (12/21/2023 6:06 PM)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.