FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/24/2023 10:31 AM  #1

Wiring harness plugs.

I'm making a wiring harness for for a gauge pod and I got these off the big A****on.  Dropped them off late last night, found the envelope on the porch this morning. Just thought I would show it, I'm happy with the quality.  It's a 12 pin connector.  The other is a two wire bullet extension.  The reason I got this, is a, it was actually cheaper, b, but look at it.  Flipping it keeps red to red, and black to black.  I wanted a more hearty connection for the voltmeter.  I used to just go to pick n pull and chop off connectors of whatever size I wanted, but its a different world we live in now.  Just ain't worth it.  Where y'all source harness connections?  Cause now I'm thinking about redoing something, I probably should have done the first time around.  Oh, and Merry Christmas!

bitter emojis

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

12/24/2023 11:06 AM  #2

Re: Wiring harness plugs.

Like anything you can certainly go down a rabbit hole with wiring. When I installed the Megasquirt in my Lightning I built the entire engine harness myself. I started with Weatherpack, but those can get really big for multi-pin connectors. Then I went Metripack, which are good, but I wanted better. Finally I spent the money on a good Deutsch crimper and connectors and have only used those ever since. If it is something mission critical like a crank sensor I go here (https://racespeconline.com/) and get real Deutsch stuff along with their solid pins. For "less important" items I snag the Amazon equivalents and don't look back. Also been using this for sheathing as it is really nice! https://racespeconline.com/collections/loom-supplies-1/products/high-temp-fiberglass-sleeving. Then of course I like to use a quality adhesive lined heat shrink.

12/24/2023 2:42 PM  #3

Y'all make my head hurt !!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/24/2023 3:28 PM  #4

6sally6 wrote:

Y'all make my head hurt !!
6sally6

Oh man you should see some of the high-end motorsport wiring harnesses with concentric twists and all kinds of expensive shrink boots and Tefzel wire. That kind of stuff will bake your noodle

12/25/2023 7:35 PM  #5

I also used Weatherpack terminals for years, but agree with Raymond that they get bulky once you go much beyond 3 pin.  Deutsch are definitely the way to go now. 

12/26/2023 9:58 AM  #6

Greg B - A suggestion; as it appears this connector came with pigtail extension wiring that maybe all the same length, consider cutting some a little shorter to make the splices to these wires at different distances so that the wire bundle created is not as bulky as if the splices were all in the same place.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

12/26/2023 10:10 AM  #7

BobE wrote:

Greg B - A suggestion; as it appears this connector came with pigtail extension wiring that maybe all the same length, consider cutting some a little shorter to make the splices to these wires at different distances so that the wire bundle created is not as bulky as if the splices were all in the same place.

If you are going to splice the wires, then I totally agree.  However, if you can simply depin the connector body and crimp pins onto the wires you have that's how I wold prefer to do it.  I'll only make a splice if there's no alternative.  Even if you solder it and use shrink tube it's still a potential failure point.  Solder also changes the resistance of the wire, which can make a difference on things like injectors. 

12/26/2023 12:50 PM  #8

I'm going to re redo the dash wires so they are on the 12 pin connector.  It's already been cut and spliced and such because of a previous owner.  In the end there will be three plugs.  One for dash, one for gauge pod, volt light, oil wires and tach, and the two pin for the volt meter.   I wasn't ready to show off what I've been working on, but what the heck!  This is the last version I am doing!  Unfortunately it has to go in as one piece.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

12/26/2023 8:06 PM  #9

Looks good!

12/27/2023 9:05 AM  #10

I agree w/TKO re: de-pinning the connector and suggest "electrical connector pin removers" as found on Amazon.  I purchased a 'kit' with multiple removers and have found it quite useful. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.