FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/04/2024 7:20 PM  #1

More power steering questions

In deference to the post above about which P/S pump to use, I decided to begin anew.

I have a power R&P from TCP with the KRC pump.  (It does not squeal).  Oh - I have some physical issues that now do not allow me to do much of my own work.   However, I have a mechanic who only works on early Mustangs.   He is very good.

He installed the power R&P a couple of years ago. Effort to turn was way too easy, so I had him make it stiffer, but it is still way too easy.  Recently, looking at the unit I decided that I might try to do the job myself.  To make sure I was not getting in over my head, I called KRC To see what must be done. They put me on to their pump flow controllers.  Those are one piece and are a simple replacement requiring only undoing a hose, unscrewing the old one and installing the new.  Screw it back, purge the line, and you are done.  Wrong.  There is no space to get the 1" wrench onto the flow controller to unscrew it.  It looks like I must remove the pump from the engine.  I looked at it and counted 6-10 nuts/bolts and the pully too. That is more than I can handle these days.  I called my mechanic, and he is so busy that he is not now taking new work. 

My son was helping me, and being an engineer, he knows how to do things.  He agreed that I should get professional help.

For those of you who know KRC pumps, I'm changing a #6 to a #4.

In case I decide to try again, how do I get the durn thing apart?

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

1/04/2024 7:53 PM  #2

Re: More power steering questions

I changed mine to the one with the mostveffort required.  Five minute job, done on the car. Mine has the remote tank.  I do not remember there being any issues getting to it.  Mine has AN fittings on the hose connection.

symbol

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/05/2024 9:23 AM  #3

I'm not familiar with the KRC pump installation, but could you modify a 1" wrench to make it fit?  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/07/2024 6:31 PM  #4

I had the KRC pump with attached reservoir and could remove/install the flow valve from the top of the pump with a 1 inch deep socket. 

1/07/2024 6:37 PM  #5

1/07/2024 7:02 PM  #6

We had a problem with getting the hose off.  The hose was too tight on the valve.  My son who is very strong could not loosen it, so the socket would not fit.  We tried to loosen the valve itself and that could not be done because the tightness of the hose would not allow the nut to turn. 

I guess I need to readdress the whole thing.  I'm missing something.

Thanks for your input.

1/07/2024 7:48 PM  #7

I may have a different P/S pump.  I bought it from TCP along with the power rack.  Let's see if I can get it on this.

That is a collar around the valve.  It's different from the one above.  It surrounds the valve so much that a 1" wrench does not fit if I try to losen the smaller connector.  I would have to dismount the pump and remove the pully.  That means removing the whole pump assembly.   I'm trying not to do that.Even then the wrench might not fit.  I'm looking for an easy way to get it off.

Last edited by lowercasesteve (1/07/2024 8:03 PM)

1/07/2024 7:57 PM  #8

Get these flare wrenches at Harbor freight. Grind the 1 inch flare wrench on the one side to fit (you will not have to remove much material) or remove the reservoir bolt and take the reservoir off. Use one of the other sizes on the hose with a breaker bar and a pipe extension. I am not a fan of Harbor freight, but when I am going to modify tools, that is where I go. Apologies, I did not see your previous post when i posted this. Your pump is different than my pump.

the new photo

Last edited by boss347convertible (1/07/2024 8:08 PM)

1/07/2024 8:06 PM  #9

boss347convertible wrote:

Get these flare wrenches at Harbor freight. Grind the 1 inch flare wrench on the one side to fit (you will not have to remove much material) or remove the reservoir bolt and take the reservoir off. Use one of the other sizes on the hose with a breaker bar and a pipe extension. I am not a fan of Harbor freight, but when I am going to modify tools, that is where I go.

the new photo

I don't have any of those, but there is a harbor freight close by.

1/07/2024 8:07 PM  #10

Get these flare wrenches at Harbor freight. Grind the 1 inch flare wrench on the one side to fit (you will not have to remove much material) or remove the reservoir bolt and take the reservoir off. Use one of the other sizes on the hose with a breaker bar and a pipe extension. I am not a fan of Harbor freight, but when I am going to modify tools, that is where I go.

the new photo

1/07/2024 8:21 PM  #11

You might try grinding the 1 inch flare wrench to fit, then hold the 1 inch flare wrench in place while attempting to turn the hose fitting. I can't tell from the photo, but the difficulty might be clocking the two flare wrenches so that they are not on top of each other. Good luck.

1/07/2024 8:38 PM  #12

Might try modifying a deep well socket to accommodate the p/s hose as needed.
Similar to an 02 sensor socket (7/8”/ 22mm).

1/07/2024 10:20 PM  #13

Thanks, that helps me think a little differently.

1/08/2024 2:08 AM  #14

lowercasesteve wrote:

the new photo

Got a set of those I used for years on hard to reach hydraulic line fittings on 737's. They worked well.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.