FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/12/2024 10:48 PM  #1

Air Conditioning

I am currently looking at putting an air conditioning kit in the car. It originally had one, but I tossed it out 20 years ago when I restored the car.
Anyway...
What do people think is the best brand/model to purchase? Can you send me some links?
Also, with fitting the a/c kit, does this now mean that I can remove the heater box and hoses?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

1/13/2024 7:04 AM  #2

Re: Air Conditioning

A lot depends on how you want to do it. There are systems out there that will do either just ac or heater, defrost and ac all in one unit.  A lot of people put vintage air in. I went with Old Air Products. I used the compressor that come on my engine which is out of a early 80s Mustang that uses the serpentine belt. They just deleted the compressor off of the kit and reduced the price that amount. 
https://www.oldairproducts.com/product/ac-system-complete-cap-1167m-390
I went with the system close to this but with the electronic switches that does away with the cable switching.

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

1/13/2024 9:43 AM  #3

The benefit of having a unit that completely replaced the existing heater box and defrost is you get chilled air through the defroster, which is a huge inprovement over original.

The benefit of a simple underdash hang-on unit while retaining the original heater is you get colder air.

I have Vintage Air. Ok stuff, one of which is 14 years old with no issues. Since I have not tried the other brands, I cannot tell you if it is the best one or not. I think it should make colder air than it does, but I think that is because it has heater and ac core in the same box.

Those who have the in-dash Old Air unit; how cold of air does it put out on a 100 degree day?  If mine makes 40, it is doing great.  Don’s under dash unit makes much colder air.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/13/2024 11:47 AM  #4

Right now it can do minus 4 if i pull it outside, windchill about 40° below. I never got to check mine, but i don't think it will do much better than 40°

Last edited by Alan (1/13/2024 11:50 AM)

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

1/13/2024 2:25 PM  #5

I have the Vintage Air Gen IV system installed in 2016 and am pleased with it.  You can download (PDF) the instructions and get a very good idea of the installation w/o having the unit in-hand. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/14/2024 6:44 AM  #6

Thanks everyone!
I would like to go simple as best I can with an under dash unit and removing the heater box would definitely be my preference. I always like simple...

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

1/14/2024 11:32 AM  #7

If you get Vintage Air, be sure to spec the system with a condenser designed to fit the wider 24” radiator. Even if you don’t use the wider radiator, it still works with the original radiator and is a much cleaner design as to how it mounts under the hood latch bracket. No holes needed for side mount brackets.
Plus, it fits with the wider radiator if needed.

1/14/2024 4:00 PM  #8

MS wrote:

If you get Vintage Air, be sure to spec the system with a condenser designed to fit the wider 24” radiator. Even if you don’t use the wider radiator, it still works with the original radiator and is a much cleaner design as to how it mounts under the hood latch bracket. No holes needed for side mount brackets.

Thanks for the tip! Is the Vintage air the best system to go with? Is there a particular model to quote when ordering? Can I remove the heater box and just have the A/C unit provide the heat?

1/14/2024 5:53 PM  #9

Toploader wrote:

MS wrote:

Thanks for the tip! Is the Vintage air the best system to go with? Is there a particular model to quote when ordering? Can I remove the heater box and just have the A/C unit provide the heat?

The install PDF will give you your best answer to the detail question:
https://www.vintageair.com/instructions_pdf/551964.pdf

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

1/14/2024 7:58 PM  #10

The Vintage Air in-dash setup provides AC, heat and defrost all in one unit. All original heater and defrost parts are removed.

1/15/2024 2:18 PM  #11

I used Classic Auto Air on my Mustang and 1970 F-250.  I ordered both with a hose kit rather than the pre-made hoses.  The Mustang has a mid-mount compressor on the passenger side and it was easy to flip the condenser left to right and tuck most of the hoses under the battery or through the fender.  They were easy to work with and let me order exactly what I needed for the job.  The condenser is the standard unit that they provide for all early Mustangs.  I could have gone wider but it works and doesn't completely cover the radiator.  https://www.classicautoair.com/mustang_air_conditioning_ford_ac/

1/15/2024 4:01 PM  #12

Alan wrote:

Right now it can do minus 4 if i pull it outside, windchill about 40° below. I never got to check mine, but i don't think it will do much better than 40°

You need to bottle that up for the summer time...LOL  

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.