FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2024 10:32 AM  #1

Best kept secrets in the classic Ford community Thanks Greg B

Some of you may have seen the thread I started a few weeks back regarding using an adapter and an MSD cap to reduce the size of the TFI distributor.  I also am a fan of the Duraspak distributor but never liked its big bulbous cap.  Yes you can swap that cap out for a points type cap BUT it requires new plug wires or at the very least changing the boots on your old ones.  What I really wanted was a smaller male cap that fit on the duraspark distributor... and thanks to Greg B I have one.

Last edited by Daze (1/14/2024 11:54 AM)

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

1/14/2024 11:47 AM  #2

Re: Best kept secrets in the classic Ford community Thanks Greg B

Nice video.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

1/15/2024 8:10 AM  #3

Thumbs up!

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

1/15/2024 9:00 AM  #4

Ford put the large diameter cap on the DSII distributor for a specific reason which was the tendency for the high intensity spark to jump across to other terminals inside the smaller cap. If your setup doesn't crossfire with the smaller cap you're good to go but if you experience crossfiring you're stuck with the larger cap.

1/15/2024 9:14 AM  #5

Does the smaller cap have a vent?  I seem to recall that crossfire often was caused by ionized air inside the cap, and if you could vent it the issue resolved.  It is interesting that both the GM HEI and Ford DS/TFIs all used large caps.  However, GM eventually went to a small cap HEI to make packaging easier (that's what they get from cramming the distributor against the firewall).  The two distributors are interchangeable with some minor wiring modifications.  The small cap also used a divorced coil instead of the coil in the cap.  I did this swap on my '86 IROC.  Seems the Ford swap is even easier since the diameter of the distributor didn't change, just the cap and shield. 

1/15/2024 11:02 AM  #6

TKOPerformance wrote:

Does the smaller cap have a vent?  I seem to recall that crossfire often was caused by ionized air inside the cap, and if you could vent it the issue resolved.  

Seams like a good theory, but I don't buy it.   The larger cap IS vented and if venting was all that was required Ford' bean counters would save $.02 per distributor on less plastic.  Yes ionized gas inside could crossfire so venting is good but I think their decision to go bigger has more to do with cheap spark plug wires and crossfire outside the cap.  If small caps were prone to misfire inside than all the MSD and other aftermarket caps would be bigger as ignitions have only gotten hotter.  Why can the aftermarket run smaller caps, because of aftermarket wires.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

1/15/2024 12:08 PM  #7

Daze wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Does the smaller cap have a vent?  I seem to recall that crossfire often was caused by ionized air inside the cap, and if you could vent it the issue resolved.  

Seams like a good theory, but I don't buy it.   The larger cap IS vented and if venting was all that was required Ford' bean counters would save $.02 per distributor on less plastic.  Yes ionized gas inside could crossfire so venting is good but I think their decision to go bigger has more to do with cheap spark plug wires and crossfire outside the cap.  If small caps were prone to misfire inside than all the MSD and other aftermarket caps would be bigger as ignitions have only gotten hotter.  Why can the aftermarket run smaller caps, because of aftermarket wires.

A sound theory, and I agree Ford wouldn't spend a penny they didn't think they needed to, but therein also lies an important point: "think".  The best engineers in the auto industry have often been put to shame by racers with no formal education who are just better at figuring stuff out.  So possibly Ford sought to tackle the problem with a bigger cap initially and found it didn't 100% solve the issue, leading them to make a minor alteration to the mold and install a vent once they'd already changed over to the large cap and weren't going to change plug wires, etc. again.  The question would be was the large cap always vented?  Or did that come later? 

Another thing to consider is the possibility of spark jumping from the coil wire to a plug wire was an issue for Ford.  The HEI had a large cap originally, but they also put the coil in the top of that cap, necessitating the larger arrangement.  HEI caps were never vented.  The coil wire didn't exist, so it couldn't jump spark outside the cap, only inside where it doesn't seem to have been an issue.

So, without knowing why they made the switch its all just speculation on our part. 

1/15/2024 1:45 PM  #8

TKOPerformance wrote:

So, without knowing why they made the switch its all just speculation on our part. 

That!! that right there, exactly my point

1/15/2024 6:12 PM  #9

Daze wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

That!! that right there, exactly my point

EZ answer would be..........Axe Greg B if he has had any crossfire situations pop up.....
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/15/2024 7:20 PM  #10

6sally6 wrote:

EZ answer would be..........Axe Greg B if he has had any crossfire situations pop up.....
6s6

Lot of people have commented on my video and forum posts saying they have been running this for years, no issue.  Also International used it for over 20 years so I think it is fairly sound.  One engine builder who had a lot of good incites said crossfire is very RPM dependent.  Not as much of an issue until 6000 and above.  He also said most of the crossfire he has seen has been outside the cap but it does happen inside in extreme situations and without venting.

1/15/2024 10:46 PM  #11

Ford went cheap on materials used to make distributor caps…my guess.

1/16/2024 8:14 AM  #12

Nos681 wrote:

Ford went cheap on materials used to make distributor caps…my guess.

See, and I thought about that too.  I remember MSD touting the benefits of the rinite (I think) they used for their caps.

I'll also say the only thing I've ever personally witnessed like this was inductive crossfire on a SBC from #5 to #7.  You just needed to be careful how you routed those wires because they are long and those cylinders fire right next to each other.

The RPM point is interesting too, because I can tell you that the HEI stock basically wouldn't rev past 5,500RPM.  The TFI we used to get spark scatter about 3,500 on a hard pull once we opened up the intake and exhaust.  The solution to both was the same: a better module.  I think the stock ones just didn't saturate the coil well enough for performance use. 

1/16/2024 8:16 AM  #13

I remember seeing a video in the past about phasing a distributor.  (maybe a few memory flaws)  What I remember was that an inspection hole was drilled into a cap to use as a viewing port while phasing the distributor to be at the center of the rotor tip.  The video included a discussion of the large caps having a broader rotor tip thus allowing more tolerance to poor distributor phasing.  This means a person's experience with spark jumps using a small cap will be more dependent on proper distributor phasing to prevent the jumps.  ...this is what I remember.  I don't know what video that was.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

1/16/2024 10:16 AM  #14

Rufus68 wrote:

I remember seeing a video in the past about phasing a distributor.  (maybe a few memory flaws)  What I remember was that an inspection hole was drilled into a cap to use as a viewing port while phasing the distributor to be at the center of the rotor tip.  The video included a discussion of the large caps having a broader rotor tip thus allowing more tolerance to poor distributor phasing.  This means a person's experience with spark jumps using a small cap will be more dependent on proper distributor phasing to prevent the jumps.  ...this is what I remember.  I don't know what video that was.

Well, that actually makes a LOT of sense.  The tip on the large cap rotors is quite long (width wise) whereas the small cap rotors are not.

1/16/2024 10:24 AM  #15

TKOPerformance wrote:

Rufus68 wrote:

Well, that actually makes a LOT of sense.  The tip on the large cap rotors is quite long (width wise) whereas the small cap rotors are not.

Explain what this is for, why matters?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/16/2024 11:00 AM  #16

This is not the video I remember but it shows the spark jump point being moved using an adjustable race rotor:

1/16/2024 11:09 AM  #17

Rufus thanks for pointing out the difference in rotor tips.  You helped me bust the myth that ford went to a bigger cap to avoide crossfire INSIDE the cap.  

The conventional wisdom that Ford went to a bigger cap to avoid crossfire inside the cap is a myth and like all good myths it is based in a sound logical concept but I just discovered proof that it is in fact a myth. Yes the terminals are further apart and logically that would indicate less unwanted spark jumping because the spark has further to go, BUT I went out to my garage and compared the smaller cap rotor to the bigger cap rotor and the bigger cap rotor has a much bigger tip to account for it moving faster. I took the distance between the cap contacts, subtracted the width of the corresponding rotor tip width and divided by 2. The number was THE SAME. That means inside the cap, from a spark point of view there is no difference. From this information it is obvious Ford made the change to the bigger cap fore some reason OTHER than crossfire inside the cap. Not to mention that if crossfire inside the cap was an issue there would be 20 years of Internationals sitting on the side of the road.

1/16/2024 11:30 AM  #18

MS wrote:

Explain what this is for, why matters?

It is my understanding that timing phasing only matter on a lock out distributor in a situation where massive timing swings need to happen to account for boost and NOS, situations where you want it retarded and even being off by a couple degrees advanced can cause catastrophic consequences.  There was a guy on VMF that wanted an adjuster to phase a Duraspark distributor that he had locked out and so yesterday I went out to the garage and invented one.  I took and old vacuum canister, chucked it up into the lathe to separate the halves, I then removed the diaphragm, added a heavy spring (I believe from drum brakes) cut the vacuum inlet off, machined a spacer to go between the adjuster that was already inside and the adjuster arm cup, drilled and tapped 4 holes and put it all together including installing a 1/4" fine thread bolt into the stock adjuster.

There is about 1/4" total adjustment which comes out to one reluctor tooth when installed in the distributor. That works out to about 8º

If I was going to install this in a car I would replace the bolt with a long setscrew with jam nut (just used what I had kicking around in the shop) and add 4 more screws to hold the halves together. Not only would they look cool but the body of the canister flexes a bit with just 4 screws.

1/16/2024 2:53 PM  #19

Daze wrote:

Rufus thanks for pointing out the difference in rotor tips.  You helped me bust the myth that ford went to a bigger cap to avoide crossfire INSIDE the cap.  

The conventional wisdom that Ford went to a bigger cap to avoid crossfire inside the cap is a myth and like all good myths it is based in a sound logical concept but I just discovered proof that it is in fact a myth. Yes the terminals are further apart and logically that would indicate less unwanted spark jumping because the spark has further to go, BUT I went out to my garage and compared the smaller cap rotor to the bigger cap rotor and the bigger cap rotor has a much bigger tip to account for it moving faster. I took the distance between the cap contacts, subtracted the width of the corresponding rotor tip width and divided by 2. The number was THE SAME. That means inside the cap, from a spark point of view there is no difference. From this information it is obvious Ford made the change to the bigger cap fore some reason OTHER than crossfire inside the cap. Not to mention that if crossfire inside the cap was an issue there would be 20 years of Internationals sitting on the side of the road.
=13px

CORRECTION I measured hastily this morning and when I came out to work, I double checked my measurements there is about a .075 inch difference in the space on either side of the rotor contact on the bigger cap from the tip of the rotor when the rotor is centered. I don’t want to put out false information so I’m retracting what I said above. Ultimately, this has worked for a lot of ignitions. It may not work for all of them. A person is just going to have to try it and possibly adjust if they’re getting crossfire.

1/16/2024 5:30 PM  #20

Daze, I saw in that MSD video I linked that they adjusted the rotor phase using a special 2 part rotor.  For a standard one part rotor, do you think there would be a way to adjust the rotor position for a set timing position?   For example, if there were a way to be able to slightly shift the cap position and lock it down that would do the same job that the special adjustable rotor they use does.  I guess basically, one would need to be able to move the rotor or the cap without moving the distributor to accomplish phase changes.

1/17/2024 6:48 AM  #21

You could modify the cap easy enough by enlarging the index slot until you got the correct phasing and then fill in the unused portion with epoxy or that super glue/powder stuff they sell to repair plastic (works pretty well). 

At a normal RPM in a normal engine it doesn't seem worth it though.  We make a LOT about spark, but I remember reading where Smokey Yunick spent months working on various ignition systems he thought would improve power only to find no power in any of it.  In the end what he said was that so long as the mixture ignited when it was supposed to how it got ignited was pretty much meaningless.  So unless distributor phasing is causing some kind of an issue in the engine its unlikely altering it is going to be of any benefit.  It would be like indexing the plugs on a typical street engine.  I spent a lot of time trying that years ago.  It made absolutely no difference. 

1/17/2024 7:17 AM  #22

Good summary.  Phasing information is just something to tuck away in the mind to call on in some future time if an engine is have a weird issue.

1/17/2024 10:43 AM  #23

Like I said before I only think it is critical in extreme situations.  Boost or NOS above 6000 RPM.  In those situations one degree either direction can cause detonation in an intake or to much advance in the cylinder.  Both results can be catastrophic but with a normal every day engine its not going to be an issue.  A few years back I was fighting an issue on a 351w on my run stand. Engine wasn't running poorly but I had two header tubes not getting as hot.  I was playing with EFI in self tune and it kept going rich.  Problem ended up being the 5 and 6 spark plug wires had gotten switched so one was way advanced and the other was way retarded.  Point being even though far from perfect the engine was still running okay and if a stock(ish) motor can be off by that much without major issues the one or two degrees of phasing is not going to effect it at all.

1/17/2024 11:00 AM  #24

Daze wrote:

Like I said before I only think it is critical in extreme situations.  Boost or NOS above 6000 RPM.  In those situations one degree either direction can cause detonation in an intake or to much advance in the cylinder.  Both results can be catastrophic but with a normal every day engine its not going to be an issue.  A few years back I was fighting an issue on a 351w on my run stand. Engine wasn't running poorly but I had two header tubes not getting as hot.  I was playing with EFI in self tune and it kept going rich.  Problem ended up being the 5 and 6 spark plug wires had gotten switched so one was way advanced and the other was way retarded.  Point being even though far from perfect the engine was still running okay and if a stock(ish) motor can be off by that much without major issues the one or two degrees of phasing is not going to effect it at all.

I'll add that in those extreme situations you'd be pretty foolish not to go to a crank trigger system.  Timing chain issues, or convert to a gear drive, or belt drive, etc., etc., etc.  Its just not worth the risk. 

1/17/2024 1:03 PM  #25

TKOPerformance wrote:

Daze wrote:

Or convert to a gear drive, 

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.