FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/27/2024 2:17 PM  #1

1966 mustang coupe AMP/VOLT gauge

Is there a way to convert an amp meter to a volt meter with out sending it off for a conversion ?

If its worth doing do it right !

1/27/2024 2:59 PM  #2

Re: 1966 mustang coupe AMP/VOLT gauge

Most people just buy a volt meter the same size and replace it. Sunpro makes a reasonably priced one (around $20). Just find the size and style that matches what you got.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

1/27/2024 5:44 PM  #3

OK all you absolute MUSTANG FREAKZ  (sorta like me)....what size (diameter) is the Amp gauge for a 66  5 gauge bezel ?

You are welcome !!!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/27/2024 6:52 PM  #4

I'm a freak; however, I can't answer you there.  Mine is a '68 and I replaced the hole-kit-n-kabootle

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

1/27/2024 7:14 PM  #5

On a 67-68 a 2 1/16” will fit in from the front but certainly won’t look stock.
On a 66 it may possible to rear mount with some serious Dremel modifications, or put one in a pillar gauge pod like I did.

Last edited by Rudi (1/27/2024 7:22 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

1/28/2024 7:37 AM  #6

The amp gauge follows the same form factor as the other gauges in the 66 cluster - which means that it will fit in any of the locations.  I took some measurements on a spare cluster.  Maybe these will help - dunno.  Ask if you have questions. 
[img][/img]

Last edited by John Ha (1/28/2024 7:49 AM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

1/28/2024 7:58 AM  #7

You could also make your ammeter more useful.  I fixed mine by installing a new yellow wire on the output terminal of the alternator and connecting the other end to the yellow wire on the right (pass) side of the engine bay just aft of the solenoid (you'll need a bullet connector there).  I started with a 10 foot length of 16AWG and gradually reduced the length until I saw (with the car not running) a small ammeter deflection when I pressed the brake pedal to turn the brake lights on.  Then I dressed the new yellow wire (routed and secured it).

Last edited by John Ha (1/28/2024 8:03 AM)

1/28/2024 8:18 AM  #8

I'm having a time understanding the stock thing! every time I see a "stock" one I immediately think SLOW!!
I have the A pillar cluster which takes less eye movement so it is definitely faster.

1/28/2024 9:38 AM  #9

IMO, cutting the 66 Dash to fit a 2-1/16" gauge will look out of place.  Although BB did a nice job that he posted in a MS Forum back in July 2016.  (I made a copy of it)
You may want to consider this "plug in the cigarette lighter" digital gauge from Amazon.  I like a digital gauge for the voltmeter as it is easier to see if any changes occur.  I did check the accuracy of this gauge against a Fluke digital VOM and it is within 0.1v difference. 
https://www.amazon.com/Palumma-Charger-Adapter-Display-Battery/dp/B0773BYS6P/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1DGRBP31SWN5K&keywords=palumma%2B24w%2F4.8a%2Bdual%2Busb%2Bcar%2Bcharger&qid=1706455799&sprefix=Palumma%2BCar%2BCharger%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-1&th=1

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/28/2024 11:40 AM  #10

I assumed the non-functioning gauge was bugging him more than the interest in the actual information.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

1/28/2024 12:12 PM  #11

Not sure why you don't want to get your gauge converted.  I had my truck and Mustang gauges both converted to volts and am very pleased with the function and look.  No need to read numbers - when its happy the needle is right in the middle.  

1/28/2024 12:52 PM  #12

I contacted the guy who does the gauge conversion, as I think this is the very best way to go about it.  He does them using your stock gauge.  My problem is he does not do or have white face.  I have white face overlays on my dash, and I want it to stay that way.  No one makes a white face Voltmeter overlay that fits the stock gauge.  I wish someone did make one off of his  altered Voltmeter face.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

1/28/2024 4:20 PM  #13

More info on sending gauge for conversion, please

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/28/2024 5:19 PM  #14

1/28/2024 6:10 PM  #15

Thanks for all the info.

If its worth doing do it right !

1/29/2024 7:23 AM  #16

Greg B wrote:

I contacted the guy who does the gauge conversion, as I think this is the very best way to go about it.  He does them using your stock gauge.  My problem is he does not do or have white face.  I have white face overlays on my dash, and I want it to stay that way.  No one makes a white face Voltmeter overlay that fits the stock gauge.  I wish someone did make one off of his  altered Voltmeter face.

I think he can just leave your white face on there. One of his options is to leave it saying AMPS but act like VOLTS.  I almost went that way, but I acquired a stock one to convert, keeping my factory gauge for posterity.

'66 Fastback since July 27, 1981. Springtime Yellow, originally a 200 cu in, 4 speed. Also a '92 LX Coupe, 5.0, 5 speed.

1/29/2024 9:48 AM  #17

Those prices are quite reasonable!
I wish I had seen this when I built my 69.  I have a voltmeter in the console pod and a dead AMP gauge in the dash☹️

Will definitely be doing this for my 65 convertible with GT gauges

1/29/2024 10:08 AM  #18

Muzz 66 wrote:

Greg B wrote:

I think he can just leave your white face on there. One of his options is to leave it saying AMPS but act like VOLTS.  I almost went that way, but I acquired a stock one to convert, keeping my factory gauge for posterity.

Yeah, but then it would say amps.   . If I am going to do it, I want to go the distance and have it BE a Voltmeter in appearance as well.   Changing it would then necessitate me having to take the Voltmeter out of my homemade rally Pac and put something else with a white face in that.

That said, I did email the people that I got the overlays from as they are still in business, and asked them about it.   We will see what they have to say.  They have a section on their website that says they do one off type of things.   But this really wouldn't probably be a one off.  Both these businesses could probably make some new sales with this option.  Seems win win for both.  Some people want a different color on their gauges.  I'm one of them.  Its easier on my eyes.

Rocket...n did reply and said he would do one for me if I wanted to make my own or found someone that made it.  He seems like a stand up business!

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

1/29/2024 12:20 PM  #19

Found some old pics. I bought a 2" Sunpro volt meter and took the face off.

Mounted on back like the Amp meter. May have drilled different holes.

Put the original dash cover on. Issue, I can't find a white face meter with top dial.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

1/29/2024 1:54 PM  #20

Greg B wrote:

No one makes a white face Voltmeter overlay that fits the stock gauge. I wish someone did make one off of his altered Voltmeter face.

I'm wondering why you couldn't gin up a meter face drawing in your graphics software, take it to a local shop that does vinyl printing, then stick that product on your meter.  What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited by John Ha (1/29/2024 1:55 PM)

1/29/2024 7:43 PM  #21

I made a 66 style replacement AMP gauge years ago by gutting a Stewart Warner gauge. I turned the mechanism upside down and mounted the original face from the Mustang to it. By wiring it backwards, it read as normal. It was wired with full amperage unlike the factory gauge. Al has it now, never having been installed.
Since I made that, I have decided a voltmeter is way more informative, so I installed voltmeters on everything.

1/30/2024 8:41 AM  #22

John Ha wrote:

Greg B wrote:

No one makes a white face Voltmeter overlay that fits the stock gauge. I wish someone did make one off of his altered Voltmeter face.

I'm wondering why you couldn't gin up a meter face drawing in your graphics software, take it to a local shop that does vinyl printing, then stick that product on your meter.  What could possibly go wrong?

LOL!

1/30/2024 4:58 PM  #23

BobE wrote:

John Ha wrote:

Greg B wrote:

LOL!

That is the same way the rest of the white faced gauges were converted. It would certainly work as well as the other converted gauges.
I used to have a jpeg file with white face gauges.  Will have to look and see if it still exists, but I think it got lost in the big harddrive crash.

2/07/2024 2:51 PM  #24

This just took an interesting turn for me!   I found the overlay in white.

Guess I am pulling an amp gauge in the morning.  Yee haw!  Found what I wanted.

Last edited by Greg B (2/07/2024 3:41 PM)

2/08/2024 8:29 AM  #25

Just wondering, are you going to install as an amp gauge, or voltmeter? 
Note that the wiring for each is different. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.