FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/12/2024 11:49 AM  #1

My sons 68 Mustang 351W

Here's the first start up last year.   https://youtube.com/shorts/q0LtKMVwtgk?si=V1ceZcskOKWu84Yc

After setting the timing were having some issues.   We warmed it up and set the total timing at 34 degrees.  the timing at idle is around 18 degrees.   We also set the idle screws on the carburetor by a vacuum gauge for the highest vacuum reading.  The engine runs great!

Problem is it wont turnover to run unless we back the timing back when warm.  Cold start no problems.  When the timing is dialed back were getting a popping out the exhaust when its cold and warms up.   Do you think there's a issue with the Durspark box or distributor?  Both were new

Thanks
Steve 

2/12/2024 12:05 PM  #2

Re: My sons 68 Mustang 351W

Hi-torque starter ???
ABSOLUTELY SURE....you have plenty of grounds ?( starter to block/engine to body/badd-dree to frame(ish) subframe/unibody...CLEAN ..SHINEY metal ?)
Biggest CCA badd-dree that will fit
I made a switch to interrupt  power to the distrib....let the starter spin the engine.... THEN flip switch to energize distrib.
(Race cars use them I just can't think of the name) I use this ON THE RARE occasion the engine is hot and the weather is hot and the starter struggles to spin...like once in a blue moon.
Did you use 'light springs' in the distrib?
LOCK OUT the total timing to 36-38 degrees?
What kinda heads do you have? (real efficient heads like AFR don't NEED lotsa total timing)
You can decide just how much total timing by driving the car to see how it performs....
Sounds pretty sweet ...(gets the Ol'Sal seal of approval !!)
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/12/2024 12:22 PM  #3

6sally6 wrote:

Hi-torque starter ???
ABSOLUTELY SURE....you have plenty of grounds ?( starter to block/engine to body/badd-dree to frame(ish) subframe/unibody...CLEAN ..SHINEY metal ?)
I made a switch to interrupt power to the distrib....let the starter spin the engine.... THEN flip switch to energize distrib.
(Race cars use them I just can't think of the name) I use this ON THE RARE occasion the engine is hot and the weather is hot and the starter struggles to spin...like once in a blue moon.
What kinda heads do you have? (real efficient heads like AFR don't NEED lotsa total timing)
You can decide just how much total timing by driving the car to see how it performs....
6sally6

Its a high torque starter with 2 grounds to the engine to frame.
We didn't change any springs in the distributor.
We capped the vacuum canister and carburetor when we did the timing.  Is that lock out?
Trick flow heads.
It fires up ok warm when the initial time is 5 degrees and 15 degrees of total timing.  Doesn't seem to run as well and the throttle response not as crisp. 

Thanks
Steve

2/12/2024 5:58 PM  #4

Not sure what your cam is, but I believe my 351W is at 10-12 degrees at idle, set when well warmed up and using a vacuum gauge. Idle is around 650 rpm with a load on. I wanted to make sure that my alternator was putting out good voltage at idle in gear so I set it a bit high.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

2/12/2024 6:25 PM  #5

Steve69 wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

Hi-torque starter ???
I made a switch to interrupt power to the distrib....let the starter spin the engine.... THEN flip switch to energize distrib.
6sally6

I
We didn't change any springs in the distributor.
We capped the vacuum canister and carburetor when we did the timing.  Is that lock out?

Google................Ford Duraspark distributor recurve

This^^^^ will explain what to do to "fix" the timing.
It's the one I went by and others on here. It's a pain to take the Duraspark apart to modify it butt-well worth it in my opinion.
 Possibly the BEST mod I did to my engine as far as "seat-of-the-pants" increase and improved driveability 
The light springs let the advance happen quicker  And the distributor needs to be limited so it won't keep advancing to 50-60  degrees advance as the RPM of the engine increases.
I made a bushing out of a piece of push rod to stop the advance at 38-40 degrees.
Others used a piece of shrink tube over the post  to limit the total.
REALLY gets that crispness you want when you wing the carb.
Without this mod the engine just WON'T perform like it should because....the weights & springs inside are a compromise so Grandma will be happy enough and if some clown fills it with cheap lo octane fuel it will run.......OK.
Those are good heads and won't need a bunch of total advance like stocker do.
IF the engine has a big(er) camshaft it really needs this mod butt even a stock cammed engine will run wayyy better.
6sally6

Last edited by 6sally6 (2/12/2024 6:44 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/12/2024 7:36 PM  #6

Someone smarter than me may recall .... butt, doesn't one of the wires on a correct Duraspark conversion retard the timing in start?

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

2/13/2024 8:09 AM  #7

I agree wSal, but ask what is if the total advance of the Duraspark distributor in stock condition?  Just seems like it should advance more even for the stock engine.  Leads me to think that maybe the advance plate is getting stuck at some point in its normal travel?
Just a thought. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/13/2024 8:24 AM  #8

50vert wrote:

Someone smarter than me may recall .... butt, doesn't one of the wires on a correct Duraspark conversion retard the timing in start?

I thought I read something about this too.  

2/13/2024 8:24 AM  #9

We'll do some more research and look at the distributor a little bit closer.

Thanks
Steve69

2/13/2024 10:31 AM  #10

50vert wrote:

The white wire?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

2/13/2024 10:32 AM  #11

Steve69 wrote:

50vert wrote:

I thought I read something about this too.  

IIRC there is a white wire from the Dura Spark that connects to the start wire. Best to connect at the solenoid.. This is suppose to retard timing 10 deg during start.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

2/13/2024 4:06 PM  #12

White wire on start powers it with timing retarded
You have too
Much advance

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/14/2024 9:46 AM  #13

Thanks guys.  We'll check out the wiring again at the box.  

Steve69

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.