FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/17/2024 8:01 AM  #1

Retro E-muscle Cars

I went to a conference this week in Dallas and saw this.  I suppose it was only a matter of time.  I wonder what the comparable performance is.  Maybe they just have speakers where the exhaust is.

2/17/2024 9:00 AM  #2

Re: Retro E-muscle Cars

Anyone who builds or buys one of these should be shot.  Talk about completely missing the point of a musclecar. 

Performance wise I'm sure they are quick.  However its kind of like how they say modern automatic equipped cars  are faster than manual equipped cars; I don't care.  To me driving is supposed to be an experience in a performance vehicle.  That experience is dulled and blunted by technology.  You can keep the automatic trans, electronic nannies, etc.  I don't care if the ride is super smooth, I don't want the exhaust to be quiet, and I'LL decide when to freakin' shift!

The newest vehicle I own was made in '07.  Its not that I can't afford to buy a newer one; its that I don't want one.  The auto industry is no longer building anything I want, so I'll keep the ones I do alive forever instead. 

2/17/2024 9:41 AM  #3

TKOPerformance wrote:

The newest vehicle I own was made in '07.  Its not that I can't afford to buy a newer one; its that I don't want one.  The auto industry is no longer building anything I want, ....  

That, and the fact that very, very few professional mechanics - at the dealerships or elsewhere - seem unable to fix anything unless a computer tells them exactly what's wrong.  It seems like the art of troubleshooting has been entirely lost.

Last edited by John Ha (2/17/2024 12:57 PM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

2/17/2024 4:02 PM  #4

TremendousWand wrote:

I went to a conference this week in Dallas and saw this.  I suppose it was only a matter of time.  I wonder what the comparable performance is.  Maybe they just have speakers where the exhaust is.

One more classic car destroyed. SMH. All in the name of progress. At least Chevy didn't make an electric SUV and call it a Camaro.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

2/17/2024 5:36 PM  #5

The point of a muscle car is to go fast. How is the fact it happens to be electric contrary to that point?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/17/2024 5:57 PM  #6

I can appreciate both.  But don't see how e can be sustainable.  But for a hot rod no problem.

2/17/2024 7:03 PM  #7

Muscle car is a description according to Merriam-Webster Dictionary that came to use in 1966 for "a group of American-made two-door sports coupes with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving." The Britannica Dictionary describes these as "an American-made two-door sports car with a powerful engine."
So with that copy and paste I don’t consider an electric motor an engine , but I’ll bet it goes like stink.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/17/2024 8:01 PM  #8

Well, engines get called motors all the time.  How about a reversal and we call a motor an engine?

That Camaro could never make a long Bash trip, I bet.

2/17/2024 8:06 PM  #9

MS wrote:

That Camaro could never make a long Bash trip, I bet.

Sure it could . . . . with a two week head start looking for charge stations.😱

2/18/2024 7:45 AM  #10

People call all limited slips "posi".  Don't make it right. 

2/18/2024 9:55 AM  #11

TKOPerformance wrote:

Did you just call a Traction Lock a limited slip?  All so confusing…

2/18/2024 10:15 AM  #12

Some related 'e' conversion info:
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/tremec-ev-conversion-mustang-gt-hot-rod/?lid=z9c7jss5z5x6&eml=organic%3Aeml%3Abrz2&utm_source=braze&utm_medium=emaileditorial

Regarding interchangeable jargon, I was surprised that within Chrysler; Dodge used “Six Barrel”, while Plymouth used “Six Pack”.  And some Mopar fans were quick to point if one got it backwards, or didn’t know that there were different terms were used!

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/23/2024 9:45 PM  #13

I looked at converting my British Mini over to the E-Scam battery systems. 20K + and it wouldn't even get me a round trip to work. Weight of the car increased so much I would have to beef up the suspension. This technology isn't ready. Keep trying to get better. 

2/24/2024 7:03 AM  #14

Mochaman wrote:

I looked at converting my British Mini over to the E-Scam battery systems. 20K + and it wouldn't even get me a round trip to work. Weight of the car increased so much I would have to beef up the suspension. This technology isn't ready. Keep trying to get better. 

It'll NEVER be ready.  The more I've researched it the more I've come to conclusion that there are problems with EVs which are simply insurmountable.  The biggest issue, as you noted, is weight.  Sure, they can improve the battery technology and get more power or possibly longer range.  Unfortunately everything they have tried to do that thus far has made the batteries run much hotter and the chemistry more unstable.  Batteries are simply never going to replace Diesel fuel, and if the goal is to reduce pollution from IC engines it turns it into a non starter.  They also ignore the pollution created when the batteries are produced (mining, smelting, etc.), or when the power is produced.  No, the more I've researched it the more I come to the conclusion that EV's have been foisted on a well meaning, but gullible segment of our population by a government doing favors for CEOs who are making billions off of this colossal failure. 

The future isn't batteries; the future is hydrogen.  Toyota and other smart manufacturers are already transitioning.  My prediction is that hydrogen is going to slowly creep into the EV market place in the form of hydrogen/battery hybrids.  Eventually hydrogen will just subsume batteries because once the infrastructure is in place there will be no reason for vehicles to carry the extra weight of a battery and have the added complexity of two systems of power, or its cost. 

2/24/2024 8:52 AM  #15

Another issue that the ev craze has not yet fully publicized is tire wear.
The extra weight of a battery system has substantially reduced the usable life of the tires.
The tire manufacturers are probably salivating at the prospect of increased profit.

2/24/2024 11:46 AM  #16

MS wrote:

The point of a muscle car is to go fast. How is the fact it happens to be electric contrary to that point?

I share this view, I mean hot rodders since the beginning have been innovators. Alternate fuels, bodies, engines, chassis, etc, etc. It's always been about coming up with an edge. While there's plenty of political, practical, environmental reasons electric might not be the future you cannot deny that they can go really fast, maybe not that far, but hell neither does a gasser with a 5 gal tank... I can remember my young stupider (is that a word?) days when street racing and getting caught using NOS. CHEATER is what people yelled

2/24/2024 12:52 PM  #17

Raymond_B wrote:

MS wrote:

I share this view, I mean hot rodders since the beginning have been innovators. Alternate fuels, bodies, engines, chassis, etc, etc. It's always been about coming up with an edge. While there's plenty of political, practical, environmental reasons electric might not be the future you cannot deny that they can go really fast, maybe not that far, but hell neither does a gasser with a 5 gal tank... I can remember my young stupider (is that a word?) days when street racing and getting caught using NOS. CHEATER is what people yelled

Because old cars are supposed to be visceral.  The sound of a cammed out engine, the exhaust that shakes the pavement.  EVs have none of that.  Innovation?  Sure, I'll concede that point, BUT cost was also always a part of it.  That's what led guys to drop a flathead out of a wreck into their jalopy to go fast rather than just buying a new car with a flathead in it.  For less than the cost of the EV conversion I could build a twin turbo small block that would be faster and have longer range.  So if there are three boxes to check it gets 1/3.  Not terribly exciting to me, when its easy to check 3/3. 

2/24/2024 3:20 PM  #18

TKOPerformance wrote:

Raymond_B wrote:

MS wrote:

Because old cars are supposed to be visceral.  The sound of a cammed out engine, the exhaust that shakes the pavement.  EVs have none of that.  Innovation?  Sure, I'll concede that point, BUT cost was also always a part of it.  That's what led guys to drop a flathead out of a wreck into their jalopy to go fast rather than just buying a new car with a flathead in it.  For less than the cost of the EV conversion I could build a twin turbo small block that would be faster and have longer range.  So if there are three boxes to check it gets 1/3.  Not terribly exciting to me, when its easy to check 3/3. 

Everyone has their own definition. Here's an example, I HATE ratrods, I think they are an excuse to do half-arse crappy work under the guise of being creative. But I do not go running around shouting that they have no souls or should be shot.

2/24/2024 5:14 PM  #19

WOW.........Very interesting post.......LOOK at the comments !!
Way to Go Raymond.......!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/24/2024 5:54 PM  #20

TKOPerformance wrote:

Mochaman wrote:

It'll NEVER be ready.  The more I've researched it the more I've come to conclusion that there are problems with EVs which are simply insurmountable.  The biggest issue, as you noted, is weight.  Sure, they can improve the battery technology and get more power or possibly longer range.  Unfortunately everything they have tried to do that thus far has made the batteries run much hotter and the chemistry more unstable.  Batteries are simply never going to replace Diesel fuel, and if the goal is to reduce pollution from IC engines it turns it into a non starter.  They also ignore the pollution created when the batteries are produced (mining, smelting, etc.), or when the power is produced.  No, the more I've researched it the more I come to the conclusion that EV's have been foisted on a well meaning, but gullible segment of our population by a government doing favors for CEOs who are making billions off of this colossal failure. 

The future isn't batteries; the future is hydrogen.  Toyota and other smart manufacturers are already transitioning.  My prediction is that hydrogen is going to slowly creep into the EV market place in the form of hydrogen/battery hybrids.  Eventually hydrogen will just subsume batteries because once the infrastructure is in place there will be no reason for vehicles to carry the extra weight of a battery and have the added complexity of two systems of power, or its cost. 

One thing that needs to be added to this discussion is that EV's reduce pollution in the air and add it in the ground.  We do not talk about that.  Which is worse?  Polluted air or polluted ground.  Remember oil production is also a great polluter of the ground.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

2/25/2024 7:33 AM  #21

Raymond_B wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Raymond_B wrote:

Everyone has their own definition. Here's an example, I HATE ratrods, I think they are an excuse to do half-arse crappy work under the guise of being creative. But I do not go running around shouting that they have no souls or should be shot.

I'm not a fan of all the junk import cars running around either.  Unpainted, badly fit up body kit, fart can exhaust, lowered too much, etc.  Or the idea of "stance" (lowered, too narrow tires stretched over the rims, absurd amount of negative camber, etc.).  Should they be shot?  No, I don't think its gone that far with those folks yet, but a corrective beating may be in order.  The bottom line is that people who RUIN cars that would be a good starting point for a real car crafter do all of us a disservice. 

2/25/2024 7:55 AM  #22

lowercasesteve wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Mochaman wrote:

One thing that needs to be added to this discussion is that EV's reduce pollution in the air and add it in the ground.  We do not talk about that.  Which is worse?  Polluted air or polluted ground.  Remember oil production is also a great polluter of the ground.

So here's the thing, EVs DON'T reduce pollution.  In fact they actually make it worse.  I'll take the whole discussion of climate change and man's degree of responsibility for it off the table and just look at EV's themselves.  First, they are reliant upon a battery pack with requires lithium.  Li is a rare Earth element.  It rarely occurs in ore concentrations of more than 0.5% by volume.  That ore must be mined with Diesel powered mining equipment, and each battery pack requires thousands of tons of ore.  Then the ore is smelted using either coal or natural gas.  This creates an equivalent amount of air pollution to 100k miles worth of an IC car.  The problem is that it doesn't do that over 5+ years; it does it in the span of a day or two.  So in the short term emissions are actually going to be much more severe.  Each time an EV needs a new battery pack this cycle occurs again. 

Second, we aren't going to get away from oil by building a different kind of car, because 95% of the plastics we use are derived from oil.  The heavier a car is, and EVs are pigs, the more plastic they use to try and reduce weight to increase range.  Yes, oil production creates pollution, and we can limit that to ground or water pollution for this discussion, but so does mining.  Open pit strip mines create effluent run off that is toxic.  This enters the water supply and kills marine life.  Those mines also destroy habitat, etc.

Third, let's look at power production in the US.  36.1% comes from petroleum, 32.4% comes from natural gas, 10.8% comes from coal, and only 12.4% from renewable sources and 8.3% from nuclear (the two "clean" methods of power production.  Whether we process petroleum into gas or Diesel and burn it to move a car, or use it to make power and recharge a battery is kind of immaterial; we are still using it, still burning it, and still polluting with it.  In fact, the straight line method of burning the fuel to move a car has far fewer losses, and requires less fuel, and thus less pollution.  Now, hopefully one day our methods of power production will get better.  Personally I'd like to see us transition to a lot more nuclear.  Nuclear can also be used to create green hydrogen, so its capable of helping to solve two problems.  I know a lot of folks love solar, but producing solar panels is done much the same way as EV battery packs.  Its another "clean" technology that isn't nearly as clean as is touted. 

In the end, I think we all want to be good stewards of our planet.  However, I think in our quest to do that we need to look at life cycles of proposed solutions and see if we are actually improving the situation, treading water, or making it worse.  The big problem we face is that this is another realm where folks have figured out how to monetize fear.  We have to beat back that fear with knowledge. 

2/25/2024 8:38 AM  #23

MS wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Did you just call a Traction Lock a limited slip?  All so confusing…

Down Under they are referred to as LSD.
Best description yet.

Last year at the Radar Run at near by airport, I was impressed with a Tesla exceeding 140 mph in a 1/4 mile.

Last edited by Nos681 (2/25/2024 8:41 AM)

2/25/2024 9:16 AM  #24

I always liked the old saying "for something to get clean, something else has to get dirty".  

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.