FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/17/2024 5:37 PM  #1

I almost forgot how bad things could be

On my 65 convertible, and this is the GOOD side.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/17/2024 5:50 PM  #2

Re: I almost forgot how bad things could be

That’s disgusting, I wonder what’s inside the pumpkin?

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/17/2024 6:05 PM  #3

I am going to rebuild the drum brakes, put new seals in the axle and stick it back together. I just need brakes good enough to drive it up the driveway and on/off the lift. It will get a 66 8” housing (no fill plug in the housing) and a rebuilt 3.25:1 differential before I start driving it. 

So far, the 289 runs great and I put new K/H front discs on it. Will get the rear brakes on there so it can stop.  The C-4 is low on fluid and won’t pull the car, so hopefully filling it up with some $8.95/qt OReilly’s Type F will get it going again.

I just need it to be able to move and stop on its own power.

2/18/2024 9:49 AM  #4

MS - is that the axle seal, dried out and falling apart?  Or, ...?

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/18/2024 9:52 AM  #5

The crud inside is mostly what scraped off the axle as it was removed. The axles have about 1/4” of black goo stuck to their entire length. As did the brake shoes and the entire backing plate. NASTY!

2/18/2024 9:59 AM  #6

What do you believe the 'crud' is from? 

Last edited by BobE (2/18/2024 9:59 AM)

2/18/2024 2:32 PM  #7

The old adage about buying a good used car - somebody else got the good, and you got the used. I'm sure that you'll use that old MustangSteve magic to pull it all together. Something to look forward to after you get your back work done.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

2/18/2024 3:03 PM  #8

BobE wrote:

What do you believe the 'crud' is from? 

Could be homogenized gear oil and water.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/18/2024 6:26 PM  #9

Wow!

2/19/2024 10:29 AM  #10

I pulled a spare rear axle assembly out of my boat shed and disassembled it.  It had a trashed pinion bearing but otherwIse in good shape, and alot cleaner inside and out. 
So, my crud problem went away.
It will get cleaned to bare metal and repainted and a 3.25 ratio pumpkin will go in it that I bought from Gaba. The gears are new, very low miles on the rebuild. I am not concerned that it is a single track rear end. This car is just a cruiser.
New Timken bearings and seals, 100% new brake components will be installed making it like brand new.

My plan to “just get the brakes juiced up so I can drive it onto the lift” have been gobbled up by the WYAIT Monster, but I won’t ever have to go into the rear end again.  My surgery got postponed to 3/13 so that gave me a little more time to get it moving under its own power.

The stuff I used to get done in a day now takes me a week!

2/19/2024 11:06 AM  #11

MS wrote:

You ain't the only member of that club.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

2/19/2024 2:23 PM  #12

RPM, aka Bearing Bob wrote:

MS wrote:

You ain't the only member of that club.

Ditto.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

2/19/2024 9:15 PM  #13

I just can’t win.
The rebuilt 3.25 ratio 8” differential I was planning on using in the convertible has a crack in the housing. I hate to go to all this trouble to install something that I know will have to be replaced

Since I need this thing together sooner than the lead time to buy a new diff would allow, I guess I will stick this one in there and see how long it lasts.  Sure do hate doing something that I know has to get undone soon.

2/20/2024 7:50 AM  #14

MS - why not swap the internals of this carrier with the one that's in the car now? 
Any idea what caused this crack?  

2/20/2024 8:52 AM  #15

BobE wrote:

MS - why not swap the internals of this carrier with the one that's in the car now? 

Only thing I can figure is the bolt was overtorqued when installed.   I would prefer to have the later model ribbed case and a fill hole on the differential case if I am going to put any time/effort/$$ into the differential.

2/20/2024 9:23 AM  #16

Oil or trash left in the hole would be my guess.  Its why I always clean all bolts and bolt holes and blow the holes out with compressed air.  Few realize the risk in not doing that. 

2/20/2024 5:00 PM  #17

Be sure and drill a hole at the upper end of the crack ! (Keep the crack from getting longer) Then squirt a dab of good old RTV in the tiny hole to keep stray moisture from getting inside.....
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/20/2024 6:57 PM  #18

I bolted the cracked third member into the restored housing today. I cleaned the crack with brake cleaner, RTV’d it, then removed and put red loctite on the bolt and put it back in with 35 ft/lb on it.  We’ll see how long it goes before creating a problem.
My concern is it will disintegrate halfway between Texas and Bakersfield.

2/20/2024 7:28 PM  #19

Geeess I just got a 3.00 8" and plan to rebuild myself because mine has some grrawly noise when I let off the gas. I tried driving without letting off but that just didnt work out. 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

2/20/2024 10:27 PM  #20

Thought the convertible was a cruiser?

I ran the stock single rib case for 13 years with 3.25 and Currie traction lock.

If it wasn’t for the short ring gear bolts (1”) and absence of Lok Tite, I’d still be running it.

The only replacement I could find in my neck of the woods was a rusted out axle from a Granada.
The axle was the only surviving part of the car…no lie.
I now have the reinforced carrier and extra fill hole, just by chance.

Could you Heli-Coil repair?

2/21/2024 7:04 AM  #21

Cab4word67 wrote:

Geeess I just got a 3.00 8" and plan to rebuild myself because mine has some grrawly noise when I let off the gas. I tried driving without letting off but that just didnt work out. 

Good luck with that.  Unfortunately noise on coast is a very common problem with these rear ends.  I would suggest using Yukon or OEM gears.  Avoid Richmond at all costs, and definitely avoid anything cheap.  Check the carrier for runout while its in the bearings and in the case.  I've seen a lot of these rears that tweaked the housing out of true when they failed, and the carrier forever runs in an elliptical rotation instead of true.  You can live with a couple thousands of runout, but anything more and it will be noisy and basically impossible to set the gears up right. 

2/21/2024 7:12 AM  #22

Nos681 wrote:

Thought the convertible was a cruiser?

I ran the stock single rib case for 13 years with 3.25 and Currie traction lock.

If it wasn’t for the short ring gear bolts (1”) and absence of Lok Tite, I’d still be running it.

The only replacement I could find in my neck of the woods was a rusted out axle from a Granada.
The axle was the only surviving part of the car…no lie.
I now have the reinforced carrier and extra fill hole, just by chance.

Could you Heli-Coil repair?

No, because all a Helicoil does is in effect make the bolt larger.  The crack remains, and now you'd removed material from an area which was already weakened.  The only real fix would e to weld it up and remachine it.  Welding cast iron properly is extremely difficult.  It tends to have pockets of oxygen and other impurities that cause it to pop as you weld.  You also need to use a high nickle rod, which is hard to machine.  Ideally you want to bake it before and after welding to remove entrapped stress.  The welding may also distort the housing, and require more corrective action.  None of that is worth it IMO for an 8" case, as millions were made.  You'd be better off just to buy a replacement.  I also think there are now new cases available for a fairly reasonable cost. 

MS did the only sensible thing IMO.  In a low powered street car I highly doubt it will ever be an issue. 

2/21/2024 8:42 AM  #23

You shoulda stop-drilled it before putting the bolt back in.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

2/21/2024 11:56 AM  #24

MS wrote:

BobE wrote:

Only thing I can figure is the bolt was overtorqued when installed. I would prefer to have the later model ribbed case and a fill hole on the differential case if I am going to put any time/effort/$$ into the differential.

If it is a cruiser, I would think you'll get thousands of miles out of it. 

2/21/2024 4:33 PM  #25

It is mile 1,001 that has me worried.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.