FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/15/2024 1:40 PM  #26

Re: dash cluster swap

Sorry no pics but in Nos681 pics, lower pick you can see where the temp gauge has a notch on the side and the dash rolls in some that is where I started the LED strip, also in that lower corner is where I exited the wires I then ran it all the way across the top over the speed O and across to other side where his finger is. I kept it flush with the edge. 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

2/15/2024 1:54 PM  #27

Iteresting my blue domes were screwed in with one screw each.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

2/15/2024 5:25 PM  #28

Use RGB strip so color can be adjusted to heart’s desire.

I would test these things for longevity/durability before doing conversion.

Although, not much to the instrument assembly.

This a ‘65 assembly with the inductive ammeter.
Perhaps the melted plastic didn’t hold up well in cold weather climates.

Chris, did you repaint the inside?
If so, does it completely cover the black.
I think the black was painted to even out the light intensity.

I painted mine flat white with “glow in dark” over it.
The piece with the black shading, was only cleaned up.
If I had white gauges, it would be more noticeable when power is off.
I did this to my interior lights as well.

Last edited by Nos681 (2/15/2024 5:54 PM)

2/16/2024 12:17 AM  #29

yes it is a 65 but I guess it could be a 66. Dont really know. Just picked it up from a friend that cleaned out a family members house. It was very clean and had 36K on it so I just did the modes I did the needed modes and installed the LEDs. They have been feild tested so I know they will be fine. 

2/16/2024 5:11 PM  #30

I was referring to my instrument panel.
(Ignore red circle)

Last edited by Nos681 (2/16/2024 7:16 PM)

2/18/2024 6:12 PM  #31

Thats nice but know mine was the 2 post type. All good as I went with a volt gauge. Is that cool, Im guessing all you do is pass a wire thrugh it? Thanks for the pics

Last edited by Cab4word67 (2/18/2024 6:13 PM)

2/19/2024 6:57 AM  #32

The fuse box feed wire passes through the ammeter.

Just have to install it from correct direction, otherwise it will indicate backwards.

The first time I had it apart in the 90’s, I made this mistake.
Did not realize it, until completely assembled.

2/19/2024 3:39 PM  #33

Dan - is the picture of the ammeter gauge you posted for the 65 gauge dash? (number C5ZF 10671)
I have two ammeters from 66 Mustangs that have that same number on the front of the gauge you posted, and both are the two-post type.  It was my understanding that the 65 ammeter was different from the 66 ammeter, as such would have a different number (I would think). 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/19/2024 9:09 PM  #34

Nos681 wrote:

The fuse box feed wire passes through the ammeter.

Just have to install it from correct direction, otherwise it will indicate backwards.

The first time I had it apart in the 90’s, I made this mistake.
Did not realize it, until completely assembled.

It does???

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/20/2024 8:30 AM  #35

Dan - I did some digging on the wiring diagram for the 65 Mustang ammeter (and should have done prior to my previous post).  The 65 ammeter is an induction type ammeter and has a (heavy gauge) wire that carries the full current that the alternator is providing to the battery going through the 'loop' as shown in the picture you posted. (and yes, if wired incorrectly, the meter will read backwards)
The 66 ammeter is a shunt type, which measures a much reduced value to the gauge that allows the use of much thinner wiring to the ammeter.  
These two gauges are not interchangeable, unless the wiring is changed also.

2/21/2024 2:56 PM  #36

To my knowledge, the 65 with the factory installed Interior Decor has a different harness than a 65 with warning lights and the 66 with gauges.

My wire harness doesn’t match either and wire colors are slightly different.

Even with the inductive ammeter, only a portion is measured by meter.
The other portion runs from battery across radiator support to voltage regulator to firewall on driver’s side.

I don’t remember where it goes after firewall.

The original wire was 10 gauge from start solenoid to firewall to fusebox.

2/22/2024 8:20 AM  #37

Yes, the wiring is different between the 65 regular dash, the 65 5-gauge dash, and the 66 regular dash.
I installed the 66 dash in my 65, along with the entire wiring harness from the 66 donor car, including the heater and it's controls. 
The 65 Mustang Wiring diagram I have does not include the 5-gauge dash wiring, so I'm not sure how the wiring was done. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.