FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/10/2024 11:39 AM  #26

Re: 1966 mustang coupe AMP/VOLT gauge

In my experience, having built and owned these old Mustangs for over FIFTY years now, the original AMP gauge is about as useful as tits on a boar hog. Swapping to a voltmeter gives you a good view of what your electrical system is doing.

If your battery is at six volts, it might show it is charging, but no idea of the available voltage.
A voltmeter lets you know exactly what is going on. Just rev the engine to see how well it is charging. Voltage readout tells you the system is fine or not.

It is rare to even see an original ammeter that moves at all, except maybe when the turn signals are flashing.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/11/2024 7:54 AM  #27

MS wrote:

In my experience, having built and owned these old Mustangs for over FIFTY years now, the original AMP gauge is about as useful as tits on a boar hog. Swapping to a voltmeter gives you a good view of what your electrical system is doing.

If your battery is at six volts, it might show it is charging, but no idea of the available voltage.
A voltmeter lets you know exactly what is going on. Just rev the engine to see how well it is charging. Voltage readout tells you the system is fine or not.

It is rare to even see an original ammeter that moves at all, except maybe when the turn signals are flashing.

MS - totally agree.  The way the ammeter functions in these cars (and other Ford models) for years is of little value.  You're better off with the 'idiot' light rather than that ammeter ... IMO.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/23/2024 9:48 AM  #28

wsinsle wrote:

Found some old pics. I bought a 2" Sunpro volt meter and took the face off.

Mounted on back like the Amp meter. May have drilled different holes.

Put the original dash cover on. Issue, I can't find a white face meter with top dial.

I want to give you all an update:  I found one of these gauges that Winsle posted cheap so I decided to try it, before I committed to the RC conversion.   He is correct.  It was super easy to mount, it bolts in, no cutting, no drilling, the hardest part was opening the gauge up.  SUPER simple.  That is where it ends.  I decided to go one step further and play with the lighting.  That is a major problem.  The light bleeds through horribly.  A stark contrast to the rest of the gauges in the panel, none of which light up great to start with.   Otherwise, the gauge has the same depth as the original.  If you've had one apart before, you noticed a lip on the bottomside of the original gauge.  This lip mates up with another lip on the bezel, and it's purpose is to direct light.   

Too me, it reinforces the choice to have the conversion done with the original gauge.   

If this (the lighting)doesn't matter to someone else, you can have this brand new cp7985 innards to do this simple, easy, conversion.   Just pay the shipping. Your finished product will look exactly like Winsle's picture.
I suppose I could try to take a picture of the lighting if someone on the forum wishes.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

2/23/2024 11:34 AM  #29

That looks really nice Greg, can’t go wrong for that price and and some good old ingenuity.👍

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/24/2024 7:32 AM  #30

John Ha wrote:

You could also make your ammeter more useful.  I fixed mine by installing a new yellow wire on the output terminal of the alternator and connecting the other end to the yellow wire on the right (pass) side of the engine bay just aft of the solenoid (you'll need a bullet connector there).  I started with a 10 foot length of 16AWG and gradually reduced the length until I saw (with the car not running) a small ammeter deflection when I pressed the brake pedal to turn the brake lights on.  Then I dressed the new yellow wire (routed and secured it).

I've read about doing that, and will probably do it to mine too. On my 69 the wire is #37 which is 12ga. The next year was the first time that Ford put a fusible link on Mustangs, and just the link was 16ga., with the wire still 12 ga. Any idea what length 16 ga wire you ended up with? It would help me calculate the resistance. I've heard that the contacts in the firewall connector for the gauge (on wires 654 and 655) are the big culprit, and should be cleaned.

2/24/2024 11:51 AM  #31

Greg B - consider cutting a slot in the gauge to allow the OEM dash light to illuminate the gauge.  I did this years ago on my daily driver using some 'panel mount' gauges I had that were not set up to be lite.  These gauges were installed in one of those two-gauge panel mounted to the bottom of the dash.  I used a hack saw to make the slots and it worked just fine. 
The gauge area in the Mustang dash is pretty well sealed so dirt, dust, etc. intrusion should be at a minimum.  

2/24/2024 5:19 PM  #32

Did everyone misunderstand what I posted?  The problem is it lets in way too much light compared to the stock gauges because the reflector lip is missing, plus that angled piece of metal on the bottom of the stock gauge is there most likely for light reflection also.   What I am saying is it looks way out of place compared to the rest of the stock dash gauges at night.    Maybe some could live with that.  I will post a pic shortly.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

2/24/2024 7:43 PM  #33

I know some work could be done to make this better, but I'ma go with the other.   Ignore the turn signal light, going back and forth I left the cardboard tube off the test dash.

2/25/2024 9:09 AM  #34

Greg B - Yes, I misunderstood.  Seems some sort of shading is needed. 

2/25/2024 1:00 PM  #35

Prolly just need to seal around the new gauge and let the light come in like the original gauges....
I wouldn't thank......it would be too difficult to fix.
Jus say'in
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/27/2024 10:30 AM  #36

Can you paint part of the blue bulb socket insert an opaque color to mask some of the light going to that area?  Maybe make a masking tape template to experiment and determine where the paint needs to be applied?

Last edited by John Ha (2/27/2024 10:46 AM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

2/27/2024 10:38 AM  #37

Mach1Driver wrote:

IAny idea what length 16 ga wire you ended up with? It would help me calculate the resistance. I've heard that the contacts in the firewall connector for the gauge (on wires 654 and 655) are the big culprit, and should be cleaned.

Sorry about the slow response.  I've not been following this.  I didn't measure the final length but I think it's 5 or 6 feet. 
My ammeter deflects a visible amount (1/16-1/8 inch) when the brake lights are applied, and is very close to full-scale after starting when the alternator is outputting a lot of current to recharge the battery.
I also know about that connector and have cycled mine in and out a lot recently for various reasons so I'm pretty sure my contacts are clean.  I've also seen posts elsewhere suggesting that the terminals on the ammeter itself need to be cleaned to restore the performance.  I had no change in ammeter deflection after cleaning the contacts so I went with the "new wire" approach.

Last edited by John Ha (2/27/2024 10:44 AM)

2/27/2024 10:17 PM  #38

Greg B wrote:

I know some work could be done to make this better, but I'ma go with the other.   Ignore the turn signal light, going back and forth I left the cardboard tube off the test dash.

Try some strategically placed black electrical tape to reduce the over powered lighting before painting it.
Take a close look at ammeter shading on both pieces of my 65 cluster.
This is factory 65 paint shading.

Last edited by Nos681 (2/28/2024 4:05 PM)

2/28/2024 5:11 PM  #39

probably too late but a cut-off toilet paper roll core would probably make a good shield.  You could hot-melt glue it to the perimeter of the meter face.  If you really got creative you could leave some little flanges on the end that goes against the panel behind the gauge and glue them to the cluster support.

2/29/2024 7:43 AM  #40

Whatever shading is used, I install LED bulbs.  Even those little incandescent bulbs can get hot and cause damage.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.