FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/22/2024 7:12 PM  #1

I almost forgot how to do this

The rear end is all set up with new brakes and lube and ready to go in.  I almost forgot how much fun installing drum brakes was

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/22/2024 8:22 PM  #2

Re: I almost forgot how to do this

Steve, Once you put that third member in there,  Your going to have to lift the whole thing off those saw horses with your sore back.  I'm scratching my head how I am going to get mine back under the car myself ????   It's the pits getting older.

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

2/22/2024 10:19 PM  #3

I have an engine hoist and a sling and two strong  and helpful neighbors.  No problem

2/23/2024 12:42 AM  #4

Thats funny Steve, can't remember the last time I did drum brakes. Dad always said do one side at a time so you can see how they go back together. My dad taught me a lot but I do remember as a young teen showing him how to do disc brakes. Actually, brought back memories, thanks.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

2/23/2024 6:08 AM  #5

The only ones I've messed with in a long while were e-brakes for vehicles with rear discs.  The ones on my FJ Cruiser are a PITA.  The nails for the shoe springs are not straight, they are bent like a P.  Makes installing them a nightmare. 

2/23/2024 8:17 AM  #6

When I was rebuilding my 65, with needing new drums, new backing plates (from being worn out) and comparing the cost of going to discs, I decided to spend the additional money and go with the discs.  
Another factor was the ease of working on discs vs. drums. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/23/2024 9:17 AM  #7

Obviously I have designed and installed many different disc brake systems on Mustangs. With the new Cobra calipers from china on ebay, the price would have been a wash.
But, I wanted to keep this car as simple as possible. And the drums work fine in the rear for a lower performance car like this one.  And, if I ever need to pull an axle, it is much easier to do with drums.

Also, I figured if I keep the driveline fairly stock, I am less likely to introduce any incurable vibrations into the car. So, I am creating a baseline based on stock configuration. Then, if desired, I can change one thing at a time so, if a problem arises, I will know what caused it.

2/23/2024 11:38 AM  #8

Nice work!.
I have a 69 SCJ Mach 1 and it has four wheel drums. They work well, firm high pedal. Had to dig into the rear brakes on it a couple years ago. Due to the nature of the car, I never even considered anything but refurbishing them. Took me back to my youth. Goofy wrenches and cusswords and the dreaded parking brake cable. 
And like the others, I did it one side at a time just as my Dad always instructed. 

1969 SCJ Mach1 Acapulco Blue/Black - Ram Air - 4 speed - 3.91 1965 C Code Fastback 422W C4 9in

2/23/2024 2:15 PM  #9

Hard to believe that Ford put four drums on such a powerful vehicle.
I guess all they needed was to slow down a bit after 1320’

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/23/2024 2:25 PM  #10

For YEARS  I grumbled about a low brake pedal and was always (sorta-kinda) hesitant every time I had to slam on the brakes..
(Is this the time they go to the floor?!!
Last year my pal was up for a visit and when we pulled the drums for 'some reason' he discovered......"HEY, this ain't right!" Both sides were dick-ed up so doing one side at the time din'nut help !!
Life's an adventure...then ya die !
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/23/2024 2:41 PM  #11

6sally6 wrote:

For YEARS  I grumbled about a low brake pedal and was always (sorta-kinda) hesitant every time I had to slam on the brakes..
(Is this the time they go to the floor?!!
Last year my pal was up for a visit and when we pulled the drums for 'some reason' he discovered......"HEY, this ain't right!" Both sides were dick-ed up so doing one side at the time din'nut help !!
Life's an adventure...then ya die !
6sal6

Yep, just hopefully not from a brake issue

2/23/2024 2:54 PM  #12

Last time I took the drums in the rear apart I couldn't remember how to put them back together. I even had the manual. Drums used to be second nature. 

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

2/24/2024 5:58 PM  #13

RV6 wrote:

Last time I took the drums in the rear apart I couldn't remember how to put them back together. I even had the manual. Drums used to be second nature. 

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/24/2024 8:48 PM  #14

6sally6 wrote:

RV6 wrote:

This is why cell phones have become an awesome tool.  Take a photo before hand.  This was hella easy without the axle!

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.