FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/24/2024 8:07 PM  #1

Brake issues

He guys,

Working on my son’s 68 mustang brakes.  The problem we’re having when you first hit the brakes with engine running the pedal goes 3/4 the way down.  Push the pedal again it’s where it should be.  The pedal is firm after bleeding with nice stream of fluid with no air bubbles.  It has Granda brakes on the front with explorer disk brakes on the rear.  We’ve bled them 4 times and no air bubbles.  The brake booster is new with 2001 Mustang V6 master cylinder.  We made sure the brake booster rod was adjusted properly to the master cylinder.  Maybe a bad brake booster?  With the engine not running and the car jacked up all the wheels locked the brakes with the pedal 1/4 pushed down.

Thanks for the help.

2/25/2024 1:34 AM  #2

Re: Brake issues

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder?

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

2/25/2024 9:19 AM  #3

I don’t think we did.  But we do fluid coming to the calipers .

2/25/2024 9:36 AM  #4

The issue could be the volume of brake fluid being pushed to the calipers in the first stroke of the pedal requires more fluid to the caliper pistons to move the pads to the rotor, the second pedal stroke (before fluid can return to the master cylinder, and the piston/pads retrack) will adequately fill and engage the pads at a higher pedal travel.  Residual valves are the answer.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

2/25/2024 10:21 AM  #5

Might want to see if rear seal on brake master cylinder is leaking?

May want to verify correct operation of the vacuum check valve on brake booster.

Last edited by Nos681 (2/25/2024 10:24 AM)

2/25/2024 12:27 PM  #6

Explorer rear discs have really large pistons.
Also, be sure front calipers have bleeders pointing toward the rear of the car, not straight up.

What booster and break pedal does it have?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/26/2024 8:18 AM  #7

MS wrote:

"break" pedals are aka "push for a beer and a tinkle" pedals

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

2/26/2024 11:22 AM  #8

John Ha wrote:

MS wrote:

You have known me long enough to know that I know how BRAKE is spelled. I was shocked to see that incorrect word. I know I did not type break instead if brake. My SMART phone must have slipped it in when I wasn’t looking. I was going to quietly edit it to read BRAKE, but you had already made the mistake part of my permanent record, so I guess we just have to let this one go.

I am typing this right now while I am taking a Pepsi break from working on my brakes.

2/26/2024 3:28 PM  #9

MS wrote:

John Ha wrote:

MS wrote:

You have known me long enough to know that I know how BRAKE is spelled. I was shocked to see that incorrect word. I know I did not type break instead if brake. My SMART phone must have slipped it in when I wasn’t looking. I was going to quietly edit it to read BRAKE, but you had already made the mistake part of my permanent record, so I guess we just have to let this one go.

I am typing this right now while I am taking a Pepsi break from working on my brakes.

You are correct.  I am sorry I did that (well, a little)   Please feel free to delete my post if you so desire.

Last edited by John Ha (2/26/2024 3:28 PM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

2/26/2024 9:11 PM  #10

MS wrote:

Explorer rear discs have really large pistons.
Also, be sure front calipers have bleeders pointing toward the rear of the car, not straight up.

It’s a MS brake pedal and a EBay booster.  I believe the booster for the 68 mustang.

2/26/2024 9:56 PM  #11

Aftermarket or a Bendix or a Midland?  There is a seal between the booster output shaft and the booster body. It should have silicone grease on it to seal the vacuum chamber.

3/01/2024 12:24 PM  #12

MS wrote:

Aftermarket or a Bendix or a Midland? There is a seal between the booster output shaft and the booster body. It should have silicone grease on it to seal the vacuum chamber.

Im pretty sure its the Bendix.  Ill check that seal.  Thanks

3/02/2024 9:18 AM  #13

The symptoms do point towards a defective booster.
Excessive travel tight before actuation. Assuming the output shaft is properly adjusted. This is not a definitive answer, though without actually seeing it

3/04/2024 7:23 PM  #14

MS wrote:

The symptoms do point towards a defective booster.
Excessive travel tight before actuation. Assuming the output shaft is properly adjusted. This is not a definitive answer, though without actually seeing it

Thanks!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.