FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2024 11:09 AM  #1

Front Alignment Shim Retention

I have a 66 convertible with stock upper A-arms (although the mounting shaft has been offset by 1/2 turn) and the Arning modification (which also moves the upper arms back 1/8"). The car has the stock strut rods and lower control arms.

The alignment shop I went to a few years ago only put a small amount of caster, and the camber appeared to be a little outside the specified values. The car drove OK, but needed a lot of corrections on back roads or in wind.

I've read about issues with bolts coming loose and shims falling out when there are large front-back differences in the thickness of the shims on a given A-arm.  Bullet Bob was kind enough to tell me about his wedge solution and it sounded great.  The only issue was that I didn't have the tools or material to make a wedge that would work.  Nevertheless, Bullet Bob's single piece solution was the inspiration for my implementation.  

I made a couple of plates that spanned both control arm bolts and wired the shims to the plates once I had the alignment numbers I wanted.  Admittedly, this is not going to square up the clamping surfaces for the bolts as a wedge would, so it's possible, if not likely, that the fasteners could loosen over time.  However, if that happens, the shims won't fall out of position.

I ended up with 4.2° of caster and 0° of camber on the left side, and 4.4° of caster and -0.2° of camber on the right side. The left side shim stacks were 3/16 front and 1/32 back. The right side are 15/32 front and 3/32 back. The mounting plate is 0.044 inches thick, so that adds into the total shim measurement front and rear.  I put blue thread lock on the bolt threads before I torqued the nuts for the last time, hoping the extra measure would make the nuts more resistant to loosening.

The car drives much better - straight with very few corrections needed on back roads, even fewer corrections on primary roads. I'm happy.

I've posted some photos of the process, starting with fitting a cardboard template on a spare upper control arm, then using the template to cut out two metal pieces ( I made them from some sheet I had laying around - I think it used to be a VCR chassis or something).  I put a bend along the top of each plate and used a shim as a template to determine where to drill the hole in the plate.  Lastly, I worked through the alignment process, adding and subtracting shims to get the numbers I wanted, and wired the shims to the plate (the photo shown is an interim step and has far more shims on it than were used in the final iteration).  The next-to-last photo shows the plate and shims as installed, and the final image shows the worksheet I used to sneak up on the alignment numbers I wanted.

Last edited by John Ha (3/05/2024 9:25 AM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.