FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2024 9:01 AM  #1

White face gauge

I downloaded the 66 Gauge template, John helped post, to see how I like them with my electronic speedometer. I changed the DC Amp template to work with my voltmeter. This was a quick first attempt just to see how it looks. I was wondering what is the best adhesive to use to attach templates. I just used past but I'm sure that will dry up and peel off. Also do you just print on paper or something else. 

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

3/14/2024 1:12 PM  #2

Re: White face gauge

The fellow who generated and posted them on his website recommends printing them on "a good quality matte vinyl".  I believe (not an expert) that the vinyl normally comes with an adhesive back - sort of like the U-stickem-on rocker stripes you can get. Amazon sells some stuff that's supposed to be compatible with "most" ink-jet printers.

I like the way your volt gauge overlay came out, but the "Volts" should be in all caps to match the other gauge labels.    I'm sure you know that, but I just had to nag.

Last edited by John Ha (3/14/2024 1:27 PM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

3/14/2024 1:20 PM  #3

Looks nice.

I would suggest different colored vinyl like what is used by custom graphic shop or commercial sign shops.

Those type of signs see UV rays and extreme temps.

Just some ideas.

3/14/2024 1:23 PM  #4

Curious as to how you cut down the lighting on that amp gauge.   I stopped fiddling with mine because I sent the amp gauge in for a conversion, but I'm never one to quit thinking about things and I thought up a few different ideas like a small drink can or even using a bearing installer as a die to make a new face with a lip.   

The white face volts overly I now have.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

3/15/2024 8:56 AM  #5

John Ha wrote:

The fellow who generated and posted them on his website recommends printing them on "a good quality matte vinyl".  I believe (not an expert) that the vinyl normally comes with an adhesive back - sort of like the U-stickem-on rocker stripes you can get. Amazon sells some stuff that's supposed to be compatible with "most" ink-jet printers.

I like the way your volt gauge overlay came out, but the "Volts" should be in all caps to match the other gauge labels.    I'm sure you know that, but I just had to nag.

I was so worried about getting the font close I didn't think about the Caps. Should be able to fix it. They closed our local Staples (office supply), I'll check Wallyworld to see if have sticky vinyl. If not there's always Amazon. Thanks!

3/15/2024 9:17 AM  #6

Greg B wrote:

Curious as to how you cut down the lighting on that amp gauge. I stopped fiddling with mine because I sent the amp gauge in for a conversion, but I'm never one to quit thinking about things and I thought up a few different ideas like a small drink can or even using a bearing installer as a die to make a new face with a lip.

The white face volts overly I now have.

There was a few things I wanted to do when I downloaded the white face gauges. Test what the white face looked like. like, add LED's and fix the extra light on the voltmeter. Didn't realize it bothered me until you brought it up. I just cut about an inch off a paper towel roll. I split it in one spot and painted it black inside. I connected it to the outside of the hole on the outer cover with silicon caulking. The towel roll was smaller than the gauge hole, so this left a gap at the top. When I put it together it didn't fit tight against the voltmeter. This lets a little light in the bottom like the other gauges. Really it was a toilet paper roll, but I didn't want to say that. 
The only other thing is I wish I read Bob E's post on LED's before buying some. I forgot to order adjustable LED's. Guess I'll order more and use these for something else.

3/15/2024 9:21 AM  #7

Can anyone recommend a "florescent orange" paint to use on the gauge needle pointers?

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/15/2024 10:35 AM  #8

BobE wrote:

Can anyone recommend a "florescent orange" paint to use on the gauge needle pointers?

If you can't find anything else, You could always get a small rattle can of "safety orange " spraycan. Spray a little in the can lid and just brush it on with a art paintbrush. I have done that on several projects.

Member since 2003, Mustang Steve has always been my homepage. 67 FastBack..Future engine is currently my coffee table

3/15/2024 10:59 AM  #9

Quicksilver wrote:

BobE wrote:

If you can't find anything else, You could always get a small rattle can of "safety orange " spraycan. Spray a little in the can lid and just brush it on with a art paintbrush. I have done that on several projects.

That is what I did. Works great. Looks original. On Jose’s car used red. Looks good but not original.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/15/2024 11:26 AM  #10

BobE wrote:

“ Testors” has small bottles of that paint.

Last edited by Rudi (3/15/2024 11:28 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/15/2024 1:12 PM  #11

Rudi wrote:

BobE wrote:

“ Testors” has small bottles of that paint.

That's what I used - Fluorescent Orange Enamel Model Paint 1173.  I did all the gauges in the dash (speedometer, oil, temp and amp) and my Rally Pac tach too.  Should have done the Rally Pac clock too.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

3/16/2024 10:54 AM  #12

Thanks guys for the suggestions, I'll post how I make out. 

3/16/2024 11:39 AM  #13

I bought a florescent orange paint pen at Wally-World.  Slip a little piece of light weight cardboard under the needle to support it while painting it.  That was 18 years ago and still looks good.
Also...I made overlays for the instruments by designing them in a "Presentation" software and reverse printing them on Avery self-stick label stock.  Then gave them a light coat of artist's spray protector.  Again...18 years ago.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/16/2024 7:14 PM  #14

BobE wrote:

Thanks Bob for posting that question about paint, that was one other thing on my list I forgot to ask. Also thanks for your other post about LED's.

3/17/2024 8:05 AM  #15

wsinsle wrote:

BobE wrote:

Thanks Bob for posting that question about paint, that was one other thing on my list I forgot to ask. Also thanks for your other post about LED's.

That's what makes this forum a great place for assistance. 

3/17/2024 8:35 AM  #16

Since you’re experimenting…
Add some phosphorus for “glow in the dark”.

Are Christmas wrap tubes large enough?

3/17/2024 12:25 PM  #17

“Folk Art” a craft store hobby paint makes a glow in the dark orange paint but I’m not sure if it’s the same hue as “Day-Glow “ orange.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.