FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/17/2024 1:13 AM  #1

Reproduction vent window assemblies - My experience and some questions

Reproduction vent window assemblies... I bought a pair and a fitted these.
After installing them, I noticed a couple of things that I'm not sure about and wanted some opinions...

1. The metal on each side of the vent window lock spreads apart when I open the vent window. When I close nd lock the window, the metal closes back up. The original ones didn't do this. Is this common for the reproductions?

2. There is a gap between the new vent window and the door. After playing around with the adjustments, there does not appear to be a way to fix this gap issue. The original ones on my car sat flush and there was no gap, but I've heard people say that there was still a gasket there. There didn't seem to be on my car?
So... Is this a job for some black automotive sealant? I'm not sure what to do and there was definitely no gasket included with the vent window assemblies.

The following are pictures showing the gap between the door and the vent window and the metal spreading apart each side of the vent window lock.

Last edited by Toploader (3/17/2024 1:15 AM)

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

3/17/2024 7:06 AM  #2

Re: Reproduction vent window assemblies - My experience and some questions

I'm not 100% sure I'm reading your situation correctly but I did this not too long ago.  See my posting history and see if some of the info you need is there.  Overall, it was ok experience for me.  I rebuilt my existing windows and replaced all the old cracking molding.  In the end it was cheaper than replacing the entire assemblies but took just as much work.  

FYI FORD MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum » Vent Window Glass Seal/Gasket/moulding?? (boardhost.com)

3/17/2024 3:03 PM  #3

Thanks, but I was mainly referring to the gap between the door and the vent window like in this picture.

The other thing was the chrome metal on each side of the vent window lock spreads apart.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

3/17/2024 3:07 PM  #4

And here is a close up with the chrome metal spreading apart

3/17/2024 4:36 PM  #5

Toploader wrote:

Is the frame bent or twisted?

Last edited by lowercasesteve (3/17/2024 4:37 PM)

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

3/17/2024 6:52 PM  #6

I don't mean to be harsh, but I'm afraid these are QC issues that are part of the re-pop industry.  Are those OEM vent surounds  in re-pop main frames?  If so it looks like the window suround may be twisted.  If it's opening up when you close the latch, I'm afraid that's a low Q issue.  I wasn't aware that the complete assembly was being offered.  When I did mine they were offering the main frame only, I think.  I went through a couple of sets of OEM assemblies and used the best parts with re-chromed main frames.
As for the gap at the door, the OEMs will have a slight gap, just looked at mine, but nothing like what you have.  No gasket in that area.  Sorry.  This is a common issue with much of the re-pop stuff.  Lots of fitment problems with aftermarket tin also.  It's  more effort but doing what it takes to use original parts can be worth the effort.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/18/2024 1:39 AM  #7

lowercasesteve wrote:

Toploader wrote:

They are brand new, but who knows...

3/18/2024 1:46 AM  #8

Bullet Bob wrote:

I don't mean to be harsh, but I'm afraid these are QC issues that are part of the re-pop industry.  Are those OEM vent surounds  in re-pop main frames?  If so it looks like the window suround may be twisted.  If it's opening up when you close the latch, I'm afraid that's a low Q issue.  I wasn't aware that the complete assembly was being offered.  When I did mine they were offering the main frame only, I think.  I went through a couple of sets of OEM assemblies and used the best parts with re-chromed main frames.
As for the gap at the door, the OEMs will have a slight gap, just looked at mine, but nothing like what you have.  No gasket in that area.  Sorry.  This is a common issue with much of the re-pop stuff.  Lots of fitment problems with aftermarket tin also.  It's  more effort but doing what it takes to use original parts can be worth the effort.

BB1

They offer the complete assemblies now. I have refurbished a pair of vent windows a number of years ago and never was happy with the result, so I wanted to avoid doing it this time around.
My hope was that the complete assemblies would be good, but I guess I might have to put up with the flaws in them. With the gap, maybe some automotive sealant?
I will chat with the part supplier to see what they think too.

Last edited by Toploader (3/18/2024 1:47 AM)

3/19/2024 6:47 AM  #9

I checked with my part supplier and they confirmed that all the vent windows they had in stock did the flexing or spreading apart when you open the vent window,  so it's a quality control issue as Bob mentioned.
I'm keeping the original vent windows and will see how this reproduction set goes. What do others think?

3/19/2024 9:19 AM  #10

What brand of repops are they?  I used complete repop assemblies on mine and did not have the separation issue that you have.  I will check the door gap on mine tonight, but I don't think it as wide as what your picture shows.

3/19/2024 10:58 AM  #11

Toploader wrote:

lowercasesteve wrote:

Toploader wrote:

They are brand new, but who knows...

Just a gentle mash with a pair of pliers and  rag to protect may be all that needs. (just a little at the time gives best results).
I need to squirt a dab of clear RTV on my glass to secure it to the frame. IF the glass fell out while at speed would be a bad thang! (I re-did mine many moons ago but don't remember-ate a gap between the door like you have.)
You COULD go inside the door and sorta 'sprin out' the door in that area to make the gap less noticeable.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/19/2024 2:27 PM  #12

Looks to that the glass needs removing and the tab pulled back to normal.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/19/2024 2:36 PM  #13

I may try Sal's suggestion and see how it goes. Thanks everyone.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.