FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/15/2024 11:54 AM  #1

Custom H-Pipe

I finally have my custom 2 1/2" h-pipe made from 304 stainless steel finished. It fits my 1966 Mustang Convertible with Blueprint 347 stoker with Sanderson headers.

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

3/15/2024 12:45 PM  #2

Re: Custom H-Pipe

Very nice. Does the center support that is held in place with 6 bolts fit with that configuration?

3/15/2024 1:05 PM  #3

boss347convertible wrote:

Very nice. Does the center support that is held in place with 6 bolts fit with that configuration?

I spaced the pipes 1/2" below the point where that plate bolts on. I plan on putting a 1" spacer on the plate to lower it. Hopefully that 1/2" clearance is enough so the pipes will not hit it. I'll probably get some 1" flat stock, weld it to that plate, drill holes in it and attach it with longer bolts.

3/15/2024 1:15 PM  #4

Nice work!

3/16/2024 10:55 AM  #5

Very nicely done. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/17/2024 6:59 PM  #6

Dang-butt (TS&T), I wish I could do work like that.  Bee-Ute-eee-full.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/19/2024 11:26 AM  #7

The H-pipe will also help contain (somewhat) the driveshaft if the U-joint gives up....IF you 'get out of it' quickly when it happens.
Nice work BTW !
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/19/2024 1:58 PM  #8

Real nice work.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/19/2024 2:23 PM  #9

6sally6 wrote:

The H-pipe will also help contain (somewhat) the driveshaft if the U-joint gives up....IF you 'get out of it' quickly when it happens.
Nice work BTW !
6s6

Convertibles gots  a factory drive shaft loop . . . sorta.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/19/2024 8:26 PM  #10

Or...you could do a 50/50, kinda get the  best of both worlds.  Use the new freshly chromed frame and the old (freshly polished by you) stainless window surround with OEM latch or the new latch handle on the old shaft.
It isn't all that difficult to disassemble the assembly and put it back together.  You could even probably set the new glass in the old surround....done it, not that hard.  4/64 or 7/64 glazer's tape.  Can't recall which but I'm pretty sure I still have some...just in case.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/19/2024 8:36 PM  #11

Rudi wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

Nice work BTW !
6s6

Convertibles gots a factory drive shaft loop . . . sorta.

That factory loop was kind-of helpful in the 1970's when I trashed a couple of 8" differentials(wheel-hop induced). Unfortunately it caused a lot of floorboard dents and bent driveshafts. I was able to pound the dents out!

Last edited by KeithP (3/19/2024 8:37 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.