FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/24/2013 5:47 PM  #1

Relocating spring arch

I am wondering what will happen if I move the spring perch out on the upper control arm. Is it really worth it also

11/25/2013 5:20 AM  #2

Re: Relocating spring arch

Yeah ah few of us have done it, and done correctly it works very well. Just like the arning drop or (shelby drop) as its known. you move it out 1". This will stiffen up the suspension considerablely and raise the front end about 1". to counteract this you'll need to run a lighter 6 cylinder spring. Putting the spring closer to the top of the spindle transfers more of the energy to the spring rather then the chassis. Giving you a better ,more controlled ride. Mine felt almost like a modern car after I did this.....

It's hard to type "funny"

11/25/2013 5:29 AM  #3

I forgot to mention I also did the arning drop (shelby drop) as well. The combo worked VERY well.

11/25/2013 2:34 PM  #4

I did the shelby drop and I have 450-550 progressive springs on the front. Before I moved the spring perch, it felt way too soft for my liking and on large bumps in the road, it would bottom out. I moved the perch and it drove like a new car. Stiff, like I wanted, but not harsh. The strange side-effect of moving the perch is it also increased the dampening rate of the shocks. To me, that was the most noticable change. It took me about 2 hours to move the perches, including making a template and everything.

It is a free modifiaction that you can easily undo if you don't like it. Do it.

BobN

11/25/2013 3:09 PM  #5

I did this with my '65 convertible, however I only moved it out 3/4".  It was perfect.  It countered the amount of drop I got with the arning drop (it was more than commonly advertised) and noticably firmed up the front end without making it harsh.  I kept the original V8 springs and had already put on new KYB GR2 shocks.  Visually, when the car was still on the rack, you could see a much more natural, relaxedl alignment of the spring travel.

I do not remember if you said, but you can only do the perch relo using roller perches. You will quickly tear up stock rubber bushed perches.

Last edited by boomyal (11/25/2013 3:11 PM)

11/25/2013 5:55 PM  #6

So it sounds like I need t use roller perches, 6 cylinder springs and do the arnying drop.  Will this be too stiff If use my v-8 springs.

11/25/2013 6:18 PM  #7

6568 wrote:

.....Will this be too stiff If use my v-8 springs......

It wasn't for mine BUT my springs were the original springs on a car that had air conditioning. (more weight)  I think my 3/4" perch move made the difference.

11/25/2013 7:08 PM  #8

6568 wrote:

So it sounds like I need t use roller perches, 6 cylinder springs and do the arnying drop. Will this be too stiff If use my v-8 springs.

When I first did mine I had the V8 springs in it and it was way too stiff. Sal came up with the idea of using 6cyl springs and it worked perfect for my car. My coupe was pretty light though ,aluminum everything, no air, power steering or brakes. I put the car on the scales. Even with ah half tank of gas it came in at 2640.00 lbs

11/25/2013 8:01 PM  #9

Here is my '65 with Arning Drop, factory V8 springs and 3/4" relocated roller spring perches.

11/25/2013 8:04 PM  #10

Here is the Mustang after the Arning drop but before the perch relocation.

11/25/2013 9:09 PM  #11

Nice ride ! Now just need to decide 3/4 or 1 inch. Did you build your own roller perches?

11/25/2013 10:52 PM  #12

6568 wrote:

Nice ride ! Now just need to decide 3/4 or 1 inch. Did you build your own roller perches?

No, I bought them.

11/26/2013 12:39 PM  #13

Check with Daze he makes the roller perches and also has a dyi kit at a reasonable price. 

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.