FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2024 3:53 PM  #1

Convertible Reinforcement Plate Holes

The pictures show the large holes in the reinforcement plate compared to the bolts that attach it. I need to add a 1" spacer to that plate but would like the holes in the spacer to match location of the threaded inserts in the floor pan. I do not want to have large clearance holes in the that spacer.  How do I transfer the location of the threaded inserts in the floor pan onto the 1" spacer?

1966, vert, Installing a new 347, 5 speed, 4 wheel disc, pb, 3.70 LS 9", epas

3/20/2024 4:06 PM  #2

Re: Convertible Reinforcement Plate Holes

Transfer screws. It’s a commonly used device in tool rooms and machine shops.
Essentially a hardened set screw with a point ground or machined on one end.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/20/2024 5:31 PM  #3

Rudi wrote:

In aviation, we called them "tittie pins". The head of the bolt had a sharp point or "tit" that would mark the center of the nutplate/captured nut you want to attach your material to.  Screw in you pin and position your new plate, then tap where it sits on the pin and you now have a mark to drill your attaching hole.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

3/20/2024 7:17 PM  #4

Ron68 wrote:

Rudi wrote:

In aviation, we called them "tittie pins". The head of the bolt had a sharp point or "tit" that would mark the center of the nutplate/captured nut you want to attach your material to.  Screw in you pin and position your new plate, then tap where it sits on the pin and you now have a mark to drill your attaching hole.

Okay, sounds good. I see Amazon has sets of them. My plan is to weld the 1" spacer on the plate, and weld the existing holes on the plate closed. Put the plate on my transmission jack, get the plate where I want it and lift the plate into those points. Hopefully they are sharp enough to make a good mark.

3/20/2024 7:55 PM  #5

Hit the transfer screw area with a hammer to mark the center of the hole location.

3/20/2024 8:06 PM  #6

This is what I would do.

Use short pieces of double sided foam tape like used in arts and crafts or body mouldings.

Use the tape on both sides of a thick washers or spacers of your desire.
Attach to car over each rivnut with an appropriate length stud.
Install plate as desired.
Separate the washers/spacers from body and all will be placed exactly and still attached to plate.
Transfer holes to new spacer material.

I try to keep it simple to minimize frustration.

3/20/2024 8:32 PM  #7

Ya could use blue painter's tape on one piece and dab black paint on those titties (I can't believe I used that word!!) and put them together transferring the black marks from the TITTIES !!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/20/2024 10:36 PM  #8

This is bear I plan on adding that to my coupe.

3/21/2024 5:11 AM  #9

HF sells a set of transfer punches for stuff like this.  Pretty cheap as I recall.  I'm still using the same set I bought many years ago.  They make transferring a center mark from a hole as easy as it gets.  The set comes in many sizes, like a drill index. 

3/21/2024 7:34 AM  #10

I think you may be trying to over-enginerrThe weakest area will always be the floor pans and even bolting 1" solid steel bars to them, they will still be the weakest link.  If your goal is to provide more clearance for exhaust, 1" tubing with 3 5/8" OD 3/8 ID tube spacers (to prevent crushing of the square tubing) at the three bolt locations will provide adequate spacing and strength that will be as strong or stronger than what they are bolted to.  I wouldn't bother eliminating the slotted holes in the plate either.  An appropriate washer will keep the plate in position just as it did for many years from the factory and it will be a lot easier to install working upside down under the car.

If you are looking for a substantial increase in strength, integrated subframe connectors will provide much greater strength than the plate.  In my case, i eliminated the plate entirely with subframe connectors and an X-brace - a lot more work but a stronger floor with a lot more space for exhaust. 

https://ibb.co/2g6KPqZ

Last edited by GPatrick (3/21/2024 8:01 AM)

3/21/2024 7:38 AM  #11

Personally, I'd use a peice of cardboard the same size as the plate that's taped to the underside, then an icepick to mark the holes. 

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

3/21/2024 9:13 AM  #12

I bought a set of transfer screws from LittlemachineShop.com. My concern was getting all 6 holes marked at the same time without the plate moving around while I hit it with a hammer and also getting all three pins on one side at the same height so they all mark at the same time. I guess if I got a couple holes marked I could drill them and bolt the plate on to mark the rest.

3/21/2024 9:55 AM  #13

John Ha wrote:

Personally, I'd use a piece of cardboard the same size as the plate that's taped to the underside, 

Gee John.........cardboard won't add much strength at all !! 
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/21/2024 10:06 AM  #14

KeithP wrote:

I bought a set of transfer screws from LittlemachineShop.com. My concern was getting all 6 holes marked at the same time without the plate moving around while I hit it with a hammer and also getting all three pins on one side at the same height so they all mark at the same time. I guess if I got a couple holes marked I could drill them and bolt the plate on to mark the rest.

Yes.  In that case you'll need to mark and drill 1 and secure it, mark and drill a second and secure it, and then you can do the remaining 4 at one because it won't be able to move.  Unless I can clamp the pieces securely together to do all the holes at once this is how I do it. 

3/21/2024 11:04 AM  #15

6sally6 wrote:

John Ha wrote:

Personally, I'd use a piece of cardboard the same size as the plate that's taped to the underside, 

6sal6

Yep, at least bolt the cardboard on there instead of taping it.

3/21/2024 11:58 AM  #16

KeithP wrote:

Use a jack under the plate to hold it up against the floor pan.
The trick is getting all the screws at the same level so all are in contact with the plate.

Last edited by Rudi (3/21/2024 12:04 PM)

3/21/2024 12:33 PM  #17

6sally6 wrote:

John Ha wrote:

6sal6

Well, I did phrase that poorly so I guess it could be a blonde joke :-)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

3/21/2024 2:17 PM  #18

Rudi wrote:

KeithP wrote:

Use a jack under the plate to hold it up against the floor pan.
The trick is getting all the screws at the same level so all are in contact with the plate.

Yep, that's the plan. Get the screws all level on each side with a scrap piece of metal. Lift plate into place with my transmission jack and carefully tap it with a hammer.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.