FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2024 10:11 AM  #1

Electric choke stuuck on Holley

Anybody ever encountered that and how did car perform?

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

3/30/2024 12:10 PM  #2

Re: Electric choke stuuck on Holley

Well... it depends.  If it is stuck open, it will run poorly (hesitation when accelerating) until it warms up.  If it is stuck shut, it will run ok when cold, but run rich as it warms up.

3/30/2024 5:19 PM  #3

I always 'manned-up' and disconnected the choke.
"You live in the South boy we don't need no stink'in lecterk choke and all down hee-ah...."
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/30/2024 7:56 PM  #4

I am thinking mine is stuck shut ...when I  get time  I  am gonna check it....might be why it is running crappy like its bogged down.

3/31/2024 12:19 AM  #5

I just finished rebuilding my Holley 4160 (450 cfm) on my 65 vert. It was stalling when going into turns occasionally and it had an off idle stumble. The choke was working fine, but it had those issues. I found some debris in the chamber that the power valve screwed into, but not much else internally. I did find that it had only six screws holding the throttle plate on instead of eight. The middle two were missing. After blowing everything clean, replacing all the seals and gaskets, I installed a new power valve. My old one was an 8.5 and the new one in the kit was a 6.5. I had adjusted the float chamber levels earlier, so when I replaced the float valves I had measured them with a feeler gauge. I set them to those settings, adjusted the idle mixture screws out 1 1/2 turns and set the automatic choke at the required setting of one mark toward lean. It had been on four, so the choke was a bit weak. I actually still have the choke stove setup.  It started and ran pretty well, and the stalling and off idle stumble are gone. Tomorrow I'm gonna hook up a vacuum gauge and fine tune the idle screws, and hopefully it will be good to go for a long while yet.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

3/31/2024 7:42 AM  #6

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

I am thinking mine is stuck shut ...when I  get time  I  am gonna check it....might be why it is running crappy like its bogged down.

If it's stuck shut it'll be running really rich.  You'd smell that in the exhaust and see the black smoke. 

I'd guess you have a vacuum leak somewhere. 

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

3/31/2024 7:59 AM  #7

John Ha wrote:

If it's stuck shut it'll be running really rich.  You'd smell that in the exhaust and see the black smoke. 

It is running rich...I been working a lot lately and aint had a chance to look at it it much.
I wish I had another carb I could stick on it.

3/31/2024 9:23 AM  #8

Choke plate may not move until you move throttle arm, which is normal.

Sounds like you may need to readjust choke due to ambient seasonal temperature…which is also normal.

Was it Rudi who had a nice article on how to adjust a Holley carb?

The search feature is pretty cool.

3/31/2024 10:09 AM  #9

John Ha wrote:

It is running rich...I been working a lot lately and aint had a chance to look at it it much.

It would be easier and take less time to remove the air cleaner and look at the choke to see if it's your issue.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/31/2024 1:43 PM  #10

Dis-connect..................end of guessing ...hmmmm is it the choke...is it trash..etc. It will tell you A LOT about what's going on.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/31/2024 8:25 PM  #11

RPM, aka Bearing Bob wrote:

John Ha wrote:

It would be easier and take less time to remove the air cleaner and look at the choke to see if it's your issue.

The choke is staying shut I had the breather off ....I was showing Steve a picture of it and he noticed the vaccum advance hose was hooked to the manifold port instead of the carb port I am off tomorrow so I will work on that.

3/31/2024 8:42 PM  #12

Ron68 wrote:

I just finished rebuilding my Holley 4160 (450 cfm) on my 65 vert. It was stalling when going into turns occasionally and it had an off idle stumble. The choke was working fine, but it had those issues. I found some debris in the chamber that the power valve screwed into, but not much else internally. I did find that it had only six screws holding the throttle plate on instead of eight. The middle two were missing. After blowing everything clean, replacing all the seals and gaskets, I installed a new power valve. My old one was an 8.5 and the new one in the kit was a 6.5. I had adjusted the float chamber levels earlier, so when I replaced the float valves I had measured them with a feeler gauge. I set them to those settings, adjusted the idle mixture screws out 1 1/2 turns and set the automatic choke at the required setting of one mark toward lean. It had been on four, so the choke was a bit weak. I actually still have the choke stove setup.  It started and ran pretty well, and the stalling and off idle stumble are gone. Tomorrow I'm gonna hook up a vacuum gauge and fine tune the idle screws, and hopefully it will be good to go for a long while yet.

There are only six screws. Two holes do not have screws.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/31/2024 9:41 PM  #13

MS wrote:

Ron68 wrote:

Well, mine do now. I found a couple that fit and put them in. Carb seems to work fine with them in. Will there be an issue with them in there? I'm a novice with Holley carbs....

Last edited by Ron68 (3/31/2024 9:42 PM)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

4/01/2024 5:42 AM  #14

Have you verified voltage to the electric choke?

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

4/01/2024 7:12 AM  #15

Ron68 wrote:

MS wrote:

Ron68 wrote:

Well, mine do now. I found a couple that fit and put them in. Carb seems to work fine with them in. Will there be an issue with them in there? I'm a novice with Holley carbs....

I need to verify since it has been a while since i looked at one, but I think the
center one can also be a vacuum port for power valve on some carbs.  They are always missing two screws from the factory.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

4/01/2024 7:33 AM  #16

Another issue with a stuck choke and very rich running is that the rich mixture washes the cylinder walls and promotes excessive cylinder/ring wear.  Probably not an issue with a car that you rarely drive but that's one of the reasons why new cars will go 200K +.  The EFI keeps the fuel mixture dead perfect in all conditions.  Back in the day, with manual chokes, people were always forgetting to open the choke after warm-up.

Also, it's about a five minute job to adjust that choke, or just fix it to be always open.Just sayin'.

Last edited by Bullet Bob (4/01/2024 7:35 AM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/01/2024 8:33 AM  #17

Bullet Bob wrote:

Another issue with a stuck choke and very rich running is that the rich mixture washes the cylinder walls and promotes excessive cylinder/ring wear.  Probably not an issue with a car that you rarely drive but that's one of the reasons why new cars will go 200K +.  The EFI keeps the fuel mixture dead perfect in all conditions.  Back in the day, with manual chokes, people were always forgetting to open the choke after warm-up.

Also, it's about a five minute job to adjust that choke, or just fix it to be always open.Just sayin'.

thats is what I am about to do I  have not been off work to where I could till today...was also gonna verify if I had 12 volts to the Choke like Steve and later Ron suggested..

4/03/2024 6:50 AM  #18

Until I changed to EFI this past year, the electric choke on my 600CFM Holley had been installed since 2008, and the only issue I had was that it operated too 'quickly', before the engine had really warmed up.  Small issue that I lived with.
I wired the electric choke with the Sun tech, so if the fuse (3amp) blew, the tach wouldn't work and I'd understand why the engine wasn't running right. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/03/2024 8:22 PM  #19

What did you find on choke?

4/03/2024 8:33 PM  #20

Nos681 wrote:

What did you find on choke?

An air cleaner.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/03/2024 8:43 PM  #21

Gut von.

Are your heater hoses tucked into base of valve cover and under the carb linkage?

That may affect your choke operation.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.