FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/02/2013 6:59 PM  #1

Need a T5 guru

A friend of mine went through a t5 for me and we didn't have the service manual giving directions on preloading the input/output shaft.  I now have the manual.  It's telling me how to measure for the shims, but it says to use a depth micrometer to take the measurements needed to determine the thickness of the shims.  I have enough tools in my tool box that I have used one time and don't want another if it can be avoided.  Is there another tool I can use to take these measurements with?  Any help/suggestions will be greately appreciated.   JerryM

Last edited by JerryM (12/02/2013 7:01 PM)

12/02/2013 9:18 PM  #2

Re: Need a T5 guru

Glen Busek is our resident "T-5 pro".
He's part owner of Steves Mustang Parts also.
Good guy. 
He comes here some times.
Google Steves to get more info. 
Located in Tomball,Texas.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/02/2013 9:56 PM  #3

You can reach Glen at rosehillperformanceparts.com............

12/03/2013 12:02 PM  #4

Sometimes the auto parts stores will loan you one.  If not, then there's an inexpensive digital caliper you can buy for about $20 (http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PFM0/W80152/N2360.oap?ck=Search_digital+caliper_N2360_-1_2090&keyword=digital+caliper&pt=N2360&ppt=C0217).  I bought one and I'm amazed at how often I use it.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

12/03/2013 1:20 PM  #5

John, I have two calipers and have tried to figure out how to use them to measure depth.  Don't think it will be accurate enough if I just try to stick something in there and then measure the distance.  Your right though, I use these in my ammo reloading and a lot of other things.  I'll call the parts houses and see if anyone loans or rents one.  Thanks for everyones responses.  jer

Last edited by JerryM (12/03/2013 1:21 PM)

12/15/2013 3:19 PM  #6

Harbor freight dial indicator with vice grip....clip it onto the shifter wall of the tail shaft with the shifter off..set needle to o, put it on tail shaft...push input shaft...normal play 30-40k...wack input and output with sledge a few times to b sure everything is seated, then shift through the gears...then take your measurement...when u get your number measure shims Nd install them under bearing retainer bearing sleeve...ok to preload but not more than .002k...careful when taking measurement...push on input too hard and output will push out and to side slightly, giving false measurement

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.