FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Yesterday 6:42 PM  #1

1965-70 UNISTEER RACK ---- Any Good?

I have a solid lead on a used and perfectly working NON POWER Unisteer Rack and Pinion setup....

I am skeptical and nervous for 2 reasons:
Used and Non Power.....

Can any shed any light on the quality and my 2 concerns?  It would be going on a 68 302 car.

Regards,
Jeff

Yesterday 7:00 PM  #2

Re: 1965-70 UNISTEER RACK ---- Any Good?

I have that rack on my 67 coupe. Has a 5.0 also. I like it going down the road, only troubles are in parking lots going slow. I had a 13-1/2 steering wheel on it, had to go to a 15" wheel. Just too hard to turn with the smaller wheel.

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

Today 6:11 AM  #3

Alan wrote:

I have that rack on my 67 coupe. Has a 5.0 also. I like it going down the road, only troubles are in parking lots going slow. I had a 13-1/2 steering wheel on it, had to go to a 15" wheel. Just too hard to turn with the smaller wheel.

This was one of my concernes.

These were this words:
"Since it's a manual rack I had no issues turning 275 wide tires while stopped.  They are different gears in it to assist"

Seems far fetched to me, that's a wide tire.....now I recently bought that flat Shelby style wheel, can't rmbr if it's 14 or 15", what's stock 67 gt diameter? I know I went smaller than stick so it would be easier to get in and out of.

So Alan, Since you went 15", how is it, still unpleasant or not bad?

Today 7:48 AM  #4

I would verify that this rack will fit your car.  Unisteer makes different racks to fit different cars.  I believe the tie-rod lengths are the difference, but check with Unisteer.
I have a Unisteer PS rack along with the MII front end since 2010 and am happy with it.  It did start to leak at the tie-rod end a couple of years ago, Unisteer rebuild it for the cost of shipping. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

Today 7:55 AM  #5

M1Mustang69 wrote:

I have a solid lead on a used and perfectly working NON POWER Unisteer Rack and Pinion setup....

Regards,
Jeff

Hey Jeff,
If you decide to not get the rack, will you please get in touch with me as I'm interested.

Bob

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

Today 12:39 PM  #6

For sure Bob, but we're in Canada just to be clear.

Also, this is a NON POWER RACK.

Bobe, the car came out of a 68 Mustang, so same car.

I just don't want to go from a soft sloppy factory ford system that leaks a touch to a system that sucks to drive with and is poor quality......does Unisteer make quality products?

Today 4:17 PM  #7

M1
it is not too hard to handle with the 15" I have. Got 235/45/17" tires on the car. They are a full 9" wide, so there is plenty to turn. Backing out of a parking spot is about the hardest thing. i have had the rack on the car for 11-12 years and no problems. There is no slop going down the road. I would ask why it was taken off. 

Eventually i would like to add EPAS to what I have.

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

Today 5:44 PM  #8

M1Mustang69 wrote:

For sure Bob, but we're in Canada just to be clear.

Also, this is a NON POWER RACK.

Bobe, the car came out of a 68 Mustang, so same car.

I just don't want to go from a soft sloppy factory ford system that leaks a touch to a system that sucks to drive with and is poor quality......does Unisteer make quality products?

Did you mention Canada because shipping is expen$ive?

We refer to non power steering as Armstrong, which I currently have on my 69.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.