FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/16/2013 10:29 PM  #1

is there a "Relatively " easy way to fix this ?

Still tweaking stuff getting ready to prime whole car and then paint interior, engine bay, trunk and wheelwells. Decided to look at the dings I had in back trunk are above/behind bumber. Looks like it took a shot or 2 to the rear area. At first I thought, maybe these old ustangs have a slight bow in the rear...wishfull thinking I guess. Its pushed forward about a 1/4" in the right center just right of the gas cap and extends at least a' in both directions. I really don't want to cut and weld in a new piece here. Anyone had success pulling this kind of dent back out? By the way...this way to download photos to the site Rocks!

Stupid Hurts!...66 coupe, 302, 4 wheel disks...lots of Mods

12/17/2013 9:48 AM  #2

Re: is there a "Relatively " easy way to fix this ?

The taillight panel and bumper do have a 1/2" to 3/4" bow in them, but it is an even bow all the way across so it is barely noticeable.  I don't think yours qualifies for that description!

I am no expert body man, but I have done several cars and have learned a few things.  One of those is you cannot simply straighten that piece.  You will need to use alot of shrinking hammer technique because the metal is stretched and ther just isn't much room top-to-bottom to get it straightened back out without shrinking it.

You need to evaluate your project at this point and determine if the car is a keeper that you will be pouring money into or if it is just a driver that doesn't really matter to you.

If it is the former, I would encourage you to put in a new taillight panel.  It is a 1/2 day job and requires no bondo work, just some minor welding, and amost all of the welds do not show.  You won't believe how easy it is to install one.  See the article on my web page showing how I did mine.  The downside is the aftermarket panels do not have the curve in them.  They are straight across.  The original Ford replacement panels known as NOS do have the curve but at about 10x the price.

If you decide to repair what you have, and you want it to look right, plan on at least a couple days work to straighten, shrink, hammer, sand, prime, resand, prime and resand it until you get it right.  Then you still have a compromised rear panel.

You said RELATIVELY EASY.  So, that is the answer... Which one of the above is easier for you to accomplish?  Only you can decide!

Last edited by MustangSteve (12/17/2013 9:52 AM)

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/17/2013 10:34 AM  #3

Thanks Steve, I kinda figured there would not be a Relatively easy straightening fix for this problem...you confirmed it. Would be easier to replace this panel if I hadn't added more spot welds to the area before I saw the extent of the damage. ~~Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy!  Still it looks to be easier and less time consuming than trying to straighten what I got. Thanks for laying it out for me. 
Just ordered a new panel...Ford tooling,...not 10x the price but at least its in the ever expanding budget...and will hopefully eliminate several dents and dings I was gonna have to straighten out.

Last edited by mainiac1 (12/17/2013 11:31 AM)

12/17/2013 12:25 PM  #4

I got the Ford tooling tail light panel and according to my straight edge it has the same concave as the OEM one that the car came with.  Also checked it against the trunk lid and the fit seemed right.

BB

Last edited by Bullet Bob (12/17/2013 12:25 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

12/17/2013 12:41 PM  #5

Thanks for the info Bob...makes me feel a little better...at least till I fit the new panel.

12/17/2013 1:17 PM  #6

Bullet Bob wrote:

I got the Ford tooling tail light panel and according to my straight edge it has the same concave as the OEM one that the car came with.  Also checked it against the trunk lid and the fit seemed right.

BB

I am glad to hear the Ford Tooling parts are correctly shaped.  I wish I could find a rear bumper with the correct curvature to replace the one the crooked body shop stole off my car.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/17/2013 1:44 PM  #7

thats one of the reasons I try to do it all my self....A: I know who to yell at when I screw it up, B: I'm too cheap to pay somebody to do a job I can  do. C: I ussually do better work that you would pay $100/hour for in a shop, and if it comes back, again, I know who to yell at. except for body work and  paint....those 2 are an art form I may never get the hang of!!

12/17/2013 2:28 PM  #8

~~ The downside is the aftermarket panels do not have the curve in them.  They are straight across

Steve,this is not always the case,it depends on the brand

i have a Taiwan panel in the garage (sorry ) that has a 1/2 inch bow in it

Tonie

12/17/2013 4:17 PM  #9

I had a similar problem with my rear panel, well mine was a little bit worse. Even with the rust and brass and bondo I had to deal with (removing, not adding), I would agree that replacing the rear panel is fairly easy and totally worth it!

BobN

12/17/2013 8:35 PM  #10

MustangSteve wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

BB

I am glad to hear the Ford Tooling parts are correctly shaped.  I wish I could find a rear bumper with the correct curvature to replace the one the crooked body shop stole off my car.

Steve:  I have an oem rear '66 bumper.  It has a couple of small dents than can be fixed, and it needs to be rechromed as it has been sitting behind my garage for the last 20 years.  I'll send you a separate email about it.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

12/18/2013 10:01 AM  #11

Okay I got ah quick idea you should try before replacing the whole tail light panel. Take the feul filler neck and bolt it to the out side of the panel so the tube is sticking out the back of the car. Now you have a lever to pull and straighten this area.

It's hard to type "funny"

12/18/2013 11:08 AM  #12

I appreciate the idea, but I ordered a new panel yesterday. Besides, there are several more dents and dings I would have needed to do body work on....now in 1/2 a day I should be able eliminate 99% of that.
I already started removing the drivers side yesterday, or I would have tried iyour idea for grins to see what I could do.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.