FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/10/2013 6:21 AM  #1

Hey BB I was just going to send a PM but wouldn't let me include a PIC

BB added atime delay to the low fuel and got this to work well on the bench. The Low Fuel has about a 50 sec time delay then seals in. Time delay will vary slightly with resister tolerance. LED 3 comes on with low fuel and is for set up purpose only. LED 4 comes on after time delay and seals in. To help cut down on parts, I used the last comparator on the 339 chip for the time delay. It's a basic R/C timer. One issue I had was at times the seal in was coming on during power up. (Basically when you would turn the key on) The 4.7K resister between the capacitor and ground seems to have solved that. Basically the way these work are when the negative input raises above the positive input the output turns on. When the output is on it completes the path to ground (-). (Open collector) My thought is to have some professionally make circuit boards, if I do I'll be happy to give you one.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

12/10/2013 5:51 PM  #2

Re: Hey BB I was just going to send a PM but wouldn't let me include a PIC

Walt,

That is really cool.  Sorry but I haven't been involved in this progect lately...too busy with all the other things I need to do to get the car ready to go back together.

That looks like a good solution and pretty simple to build...think I will add one into my new harness.  Maybe put a small LED at the bottom of the gas gauge.

Thanks again for all your work.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

12/11/2013 6:58 AM  #3

BB

My thoughts on set up. Set the fuel gauge up according to your kit. After the gauge and 5 volt adjustable supply is set, remove the wire from the fuel gauge going to the sending unit. In its place connect a 100 ohm Pot from the gauge to ground. Adjust the 100 ohm Pot until the fuel gauge reads where you want the low fuel light to come on. Now adjust R5 on the circuit board until LED3 just comes on. Remove 100 Pot and reconnect the sending unit to the gauge.

12/18/2013 3:59 PM  #4

This is NEAT!!!   Will this work with the factory CVU instead of the 5V regulator supply (maybe with the addition of a 5 - 10 μf cap)?

Last edited by John Ha (12/18/2013 4:03 PM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

12/18/2013 5:52 PM  #5

John I would think not, but I've been wrong before. I think you would need a fairly large cap to level out the voltage for the LM339 chip to work properly. You could use non-adjustable 5 volt P.S. Another thought is if someone only wants the low fuel I think a LM393 chip is half of the LM339.

Last edited by wsinsle (12/19/2013 10:36 AM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.