FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/14/2013 12:01 PM  #26

Re: Scott Drake Rally Pack?

That's a nice gauge setup mcstang, but I like to stick with visual factory type options.  Besides, I think add-on rally pacs are kind of retro cool.  You hardly see add-on instruments in any modern cars.

12/15/2013 2:26 PM  #27

To go only a little off topic,, what is the name for the type of operation of the original /66 R.P. I know that it is not attached to the coil but to the back of the ignition switch (power) and although mine does not work (it does twitch once in a while), it must be connected to the wiring harness under the dash (a 1 into 3 style plug)?  Can it be changed to make it work better or is there a repair available or is that a lost art. Thanks.  Mark.

12/15/2013 2:35 PM  #28

Mark Hone wrote:

To go only a little off topic,, what is the name for the type of operation of the original /66 R.P. I know that it is not attached to the coil but to the back of the ignition switch (power) and although mine does not work (it does twitch once in a while), it must be connected to the wiring harness under the dash (a 1 into 3 style plug)?  Can it be changed to make it work better or is there a repair available or is that a lost art. Thanks.  Mark.

Google a instrument repair business in your area.  They might be able to shed some light on the differences of wiring a tach.  Also, if the original Ford method is not optimum, maybe you can get a better style tach to install in your original RP.

My experience is that tachs can be finnicky and mysterious in their operation.  Scott Drake claims that the tachs used in their RP's work where other ones don't.

12/15/2013 8:14 PM  #29

Mark Hone wrote:

It is a current driven tach, wired inline to the positive lead on the coil. For your '66 it is between the ignition switch and the pink resistance wire.

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

12/18/2013 5:39 PM  #30

OK, here is my bottom line question.  For my '65 'vert with the horizontal speedometer, do I want to use the earlier high profile rally pac with the bridge across the top of the steering column, or do I want to use the later V shaped rally pac?

So far, I have not seen any good front on pictures with the '65 style high bridge RPs on a car with the horizontal speedo.  Jeff in GA posted a nice pic of the later V shaped RP with a horizontal speedo but the picture of his bridge style RP was not front on,

Last edited by boomyal (12/18/2013 5:47 PM)

12/19/2013 2:18 PM  #31

boomyal wrote:

OK, here is my bottom line question.  For my '65 'vert with the horizontal speedometer, do I want to use the earlier high profile rally pac with the bridge across the top of the steering column, or do I want to use the later V shaped rally pac?

So far, I have not seen any good front on pictures with the '65 style high bridge RPs on a car with the horizontal speedo.  Jeff in GA posted a nice pic of the later V shaped RP with a horizontal speedo but the picture of his bridge style RP was not front on,

Found these out there in the wild. Makes sense that the '65 gauges would sit a little lower, even you'd think that the taller bridge would make them higher, so's they wouldn't cover up the idiot lights on the '65 horizontal speedo panel.

'65 RP:

'66 RP:

Edit: Here's the forum post I snaggelated the pics from - http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=21065.0

Last edited by McStang (12/19/2013 2:21 PM)

(Pinto!)

12/19/2013 5:56 PM  #32

Great pics, McStang.  My head has been spinning trying to determine the hi an low profile units.  Your pictures clearly show which is which.

Last edited by boomyal (12/19/2013 5:57 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.