FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/27/2013 10:05 PM  #1

The little things that make me wonder...

I  am replacing the bulb in the glove box of my '65 fastback with an LED. The incandescent works well, but I like the looks of the LED. When I tested the LED bulbs they work, but in the glove box they don't. What am I missing? I plug the incandescent back and it works. I test the LED and they work. Just not in the glove box socket.
Thanks

12/27/2013 10:51 PM  #2

Re: The little things that make me wonder...

MWM wrote:

I am replacing the bulb in the glove box of my '65 fastback with an LED. The incandescent works well, but I like the looks of the LED. When I tested the LED bulbs they work, but in the glove box they don't. What am I missing? I plug the incandescent back and it works. I test the LED and they work. Just not in the glove box socket.
Thanks

Have you checked the operation of the LED with clip leads?  Maybe the bulb does not fit the socket well?

12/27/2013 11:07 PM  #3

Mike....(great name BTW)
Whatever socket you use that makes the LED burn.........cut it out and solder it in the line. Don't let the small s--- slow you down!!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

12/28/2013 10:43 AM  #4

Switch wires to the  led bulb, they are polerized, so = to incorrect side and it wont work

12/28/2013 10:51 AM  #5

The glove box light uses only one wire and the socket is hot all the time.  The switch is internal to the bulb holder, and the bulb holder being installed into the dashboard hole provides the ground.  It is very easy to go through a handful of fuses trying to get the thing installed in the hole!

Check to see if the bulb has an identical base as the incandescent bulb, and check the hole to be sure the socket grounds properly.

Now for my rant...  Out of all the itty bitty tiny details on that car you are trying to get perfectly as original, why screw around with an LED bulb that doesn't work, and that in the worst case will get used MAYBE a couple of times a year when you happen to open the glove box and it happens to be dark at the time ???

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/28/2013 12:45 PM  #6

I was in a hurry when I posted my first reply.  Hope this makes more sense. To get the LED to work you will have to isolate the glove box switch. Like Steve said, the glove box switch allows current to flow from dash wire through bulb to grounded switch body. The contacts on the LED are polarized. It appears that you need to use an LED socket or isolate the Ford socket/switch and apply power to body of switch and ground the wire that is now used as power for the incandescent bulb. This would reverse the route of the power through the LED bulb.

Last edited by 687072mustang (12/28/2013 12:46 PM)

12/28/2013 2:10 PM  #7

MS,
I am a victim of "I thought it looked cool at the time." Honestly I don't know what I was thinking, much like those platform shoes I had back in the seventies. Anyway, now I understand why the LED doesn't work and have put the incandescent back. I will say I also had to replace the liner as the old bulb melted the cheap lens.

12/28/2013 4:19 PM  #8

Hey MWM,
I got this peach pink leisure suit with a flowery shirt that would look Great in the lack of light that LED will give in the glove box if you are interested. OBTW bell bottoms too!

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.