FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/28/2013 9:32 PM  #1

newbie here. Steve great site

Hi Steve.  I just purchased a 1965 FB.   Eventually going to make it a personal GT 350 tribute car.
My question is.
1. I have the Shelby drop 1 inch relocated Front  control arms. I will be installing the Torque thrust D
wheels  15X7. do you know what tires i can run in the front with out scrapping.

I wanted to run 215/65/15.  Someone says it might scrap.  He told me to stick with a 205/60/15
does this hold truth.  Im not into rolling my fenders.
Whats the widest I can run in the Rear in that series.

Thanks  Steve  for your feed back

Guido

12/28/2013 10:40 PM  #2

Re: newbie here. Steve great site

Welcome to FYI.  I'm sure you will enjoy it and find lots of new friends here, all eager to help another Mustanger.

The key to making a wheel and tire fit is to get the correct backspacing on the 15x7 wheel.  The older style Torque Thrust wheels in that size have only 3-3/4" backspacing, which doesn't really fit well with ANY size tire.  You need to get wheels with 4" to 4-3/8" backspacing to fit the car properly, and that will open up more whel options for you. Click the RIDEHEIGHT link atop this page to see Arjan's coupe that has TT wheels on it.

I used to have 15x7 wheels on my car and I have used 215x60 tires and 225x60 tires on it.  Both required the fender lip to be rolled, but it is a good idea to do that with whatever tire you install.  You might want to consider the reproduction 68 Shelby 10 spoke wheels that have a 15x7 with 4-3/8" backspacing.  I had those on a 65 fastback once.  My daughter's 65 coupe had 15x7 wheels with 4" backspacing and 215x65R15 tires on it.  They did not rub.  That car is also on the ride height page.

Another thing to consider is using a 16" TT wheel.  You can fit a 16x7 on that car easily with just as tall a tire, but having less sidewall bulge so they fit better.

And yet another consideration, since you are just getting started on the Mustang...  If you commit to an expensive set of wheels before the rest of the car is done, you may decide later to install larger, more effective brakes on the car that require larger wheels.  Just be sure you have a plan that details what you will be doing on the entire car before you start spending money on big buck items.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.