FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/29/2013 11:13 PM  #1

serious brake lock up

Hey all,

A little back ground.

1966 mustang coupe, c auto, 5.0
Front disc, rear drum, MS power booster

So I put power booster in last spring and have been driving the car with no problems.  Well the cold weather hit so I let the car sit for a few weeks.  Well yesterday was nice and I decide to take the car out and let her strech her legs so to speak.

The first time I had to hit the brakes with any solid pressure the passenger side rear locks up and the back end jumps with the one wheel dragging.  This scared the crap out of me cause when it locked up it 'thumped' and it felt like the back end jumped.

This happened 3 times.  I nursed the car home and put her away.  If I'm gentel with the brakes they are normal, but if i apply pressure quickly the a$$ end jumps and locks.  I've never had this happen.

My thought is to look at the brakes and fix but I have a set of the MS brackets that will let me bolt on discs in the rear.  Maybe I should just move on to those?

Thoughts?

12/30/2013 6:07 AM  #2

Re: serious brake lock up

It sounds like you need to adjust your proportioning valve to reduce the rear brake action a bit.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

12/30/2013 10:27 AM  #3

A leaking grease seal with grease getting on the shoes will cause the brakes to lock up like that. A stuck wheel cylinder can cause wierd problems as well.  I would think it is not proportioning valve related due to only one side having the issue.  If you find grease on the shoes, you will need to replace the grease seal, which is no big deal, but sure would temp me to go ahead and install the rear discs.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/30/2013 11:07 AM  #4

Second what MS sez. Also a leaking wheel cylinder can foul up the brakes as well. So check both rear wheels for something amiss.
Howard

12/30/2013 3:14 PM  #5

Thanks for the replies guys.  I'm gonna get her up and check out the back.  I'll also dig out my MS disc bracket package and take a look at the part list.  Might be time to just upgrade.  I'll see.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.