FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/30/2013 7:38 PM  #1

One Piece Headliner

I was just about to order one of the TMI one-piece headliners for my '67 coupe - sort of a Christmas present for self - when I asked the sales person if I would be able to use my overhead map light console with the one-piece headliner. After much hemming & hawing I was told "probably not". I'm not sure if that was an educated response or just a guess.
I would really like to try the headliner but I kinda want to keep the overhead console. Seems to me it should work. Anyone tried the headliner? Any reason why I would not be able to use the console? Thanks for any input. E. 

12/31/2013 10:38 AM  #2

Re: One Piece Headliner

Have you checked out the Mustangs To Fear headliners?  They are the original makers of this peice.  TMI's first version had bubbling issues but I hear thats fixed.  MTF will be having a sale in early January and has an overhead console version.  You will find superior customer service  from MTF

http://www.mustangstofear.com/page.php?page=parts_catalog&prod=one_piece_headliners

From Bloomington Illinois

12/31/2013 11:00 AM  #3

Thanks for the response. I had a look at them a while back. I'll keep checking in January and wait for the sale. Cheers.  E. 

12/31/2013 12:37 PM  #4

I second the MTF headliner.  I have the one with the overhead console, it's NICE!

12/31/2013 12:58 PM  #5

OK, sounds good. The website sez that the headliner can be dyed as they come only in black. Where would one have that done? My interior is blue so I'd like to have another blue headliner.  E. 

12/31/2013 8:00 PM  #6

To dye the headliner, you just use a vinyl prep spray and then spray it with vinyl dye. 

As for the console...  It seems I read the new one piece headliners fit tighter against the roof of the car and give more headroom.  That said, it may be that you would wind up with a big gap between the overhead console and the headliner.  Haven't seen the new headliner in person or ever had an overhead console, but that seems like as good a guess as any.  You could always make a custom spacer to go between the two.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.