FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/28/2013 8:46 PM  #1

Good write up in Car Craft on EFI Systems

This month.  From the reviews looks like you picked a good one MS.   Looks like the Atomic and the Fast 2.0 were the better units and Holley was close behind.

Steve69

12/28/2013 10:57 PM  #2

Re: Good write up in Car Craft on EFI Systems

I read that article today, but I sure didn't see much technical stuff in the comparison.

The most important thing to take from that article is the fuel pump system needs to be inside the tank in order tohave a quiet and reliable system.  They used the same fuel pump and the Phantom system (That JamesW had trouble with) on each of the systems.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

12/29/2013 6:43 PM  #3

I agree MS!   But Im glad they did a comparison on the systems.   Sounds like the intake is the way to go.

Steve69

12/29/2013 7:00 PM  #4

MustangSteve wrote:

I read that article today, but I sure didn't see much technical stuff in the comparison.

The most important thing to take from that article is the fuel pump system needs to be inside the tank in order tohave a quiet and reliable system.  They used the same fuel pump and the Phantom system (That JamesW had trouble with) on each of the systems.

Hey MS??  How do you put a fuel pump inside a OEM tank???  do they make a unit that replaces the sending unit or do you have to alter the tank???

12/29/2013 7:38 PM  #5

terry wrote:

MustangSteve wrote:

Hey MS??  How do you put a fuel pump inside a OEM tank???  do they make a unit that replaces the sending unit or do you have to alter the tank???

The early Mustang fuel tanks have a square spot in the middle of the top of the tank. Cut a 3 1/4" round hole in that panel and bolt in the $450 Aeromotive fuel pump. It's a return type pump system, but the pump suction problem is solved. The Aeromotive pump will also feed forced induction.

12/29/2013 8:14 PM  #6

so you just fire up the plasma cutter and cut a hole in the top of your tank???  Key word in that question....... FIRE.  seriously i guess if you take the tank off and fill it up with water then use a hole saw????

12/29/2013 8:55 PM  #7

t,

new tanks have no fumes.........

12/30/2013 7:13 AM  #8

josh-kebob wrote:

t,

new tanks have no fumes.........

I understand that JKB!!  what if I want to convert my car??  Am I gonna have to buy a new tank??

12/30/2013 10:02 AM  #9

well, yeah t, unless you want a gas tank facial..............hundred bucks for a new tank is cheap insurance for a "safe" conversion.......

Last edited by josh-kebob (12/30/2013 10:03 AM)

12/30/2013 10:07 AM  #10

That was an interesting article, but it just seemed to end abruptly, like they had a deadline to meet or something

12/31/2013 6:16 PM  #11

I am thinking about going with the Fast EZ EFI 2.0.

If I do I will buy it without the fuel supply system.

I need a tank anyway since my is 40+ years old so i am thinking about getting a new tank from TanksInc that is already set up for in tank pump with baffles and such.  They also offer Walbro pumps pretty reasonable to and I have always heard good things about their pumps.

The only think I dont like is the feed line & return line have to run a short distance in the trunk before they exit under the car in front of tank.

This setup is only about $500 for tank and pump.

If I do this is there any issue running 3/8" hard lines instead of the flexible style/braided lines?

12/31/2013 8:35 PM  #12

http://performanceparts.com/part/Edelbrock/3605

1fststang wrote:

Thats the system I like also.   

Seen this fuel pump system also.   I dont know if it would add to much to under the hood.

Steve69

1/01/2014 11:31 AM  #13

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-18697?seid=srese1&gclid=CIiBkrm_3bsCFUMV7AodviQAhA

I was just looking online and the aeromotive tank and pumps looks like a good option to.

For $650 you get bolt in tank (with baffles) with in tank pump, sending unit pretty much everything you need.

1/01/2014 12:33 PM  #14

1fststang wrote:

If I do I will buy it without the fuel supply system.

I need a tank anyway since my is 40+ years old so i am thinking about getting a new tank from TanksInc that is already set up for in tank pump with baffles and such.  They also offer Walbro pumps pretty reasonable to and I have always heard good things about their pumps.

The only think I dont like is the feed line & return line have to run a short distance in the trunk before they exit under the car in front of tank.

This setup is only about $500 for tank and pump.

If I do this is there any issue running 3/8" hard lines instead of the flexible style/braided lines?

I doubt there will be a problem running hard lines with the EZ EFI system. Unless you have the 22 gal tank, the top of the tank should be low enough to build a bridge between the two sides over the tank with enough clearance for the supply and return lines.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.